Cruising with teens

We are planning a cruise for my son's 16th birthday. He will be bringing a friend his age also. There are two ships that are sailing at the time we want to go, with basically the same itinerary. These are Carnival Magic and Norwegian Jade. The prices are similar, but Jade works out a little cheaper since the 2 boys will be free on this ship. However, regardless of cost, which one will offer more fun for the boys? Magic looks like it has more teen friendly amenities, but Jade gets better entertainment reviews.

Don't have experience with those ships, but wanted to pass along that you will need to get a notarized letter from BOTH parents of his friend to allow him to go on the cruise under your care. Also make sure to get a permission to allow medical care if needed (plus get a copy of the insurance card).

As above re the letter.

I'd pick Carnival, more teen friendly I think.

If they are having their own cabin it will need to be near yours, basically next door or across the hall.

Don't have experience with those ships' date=' but wanted to pass along that you will need to get a notarized letter from BOTH parents of his friend to allow him to go on the cruise under your care. Also make sure to get a permission to allow medical care if needed (plus get a copy of the insurance card).[/quote']

Thanks for that info!

As above re the letter.

I'd pick Carnival, more teen friendly I think.

If they are having their own cabin it will need to be near yours, basically next door or across the hall.

We have decided to go with Carnival. Will they require the boys to be close to us? We are getting them a separate room, but having a hard time finding any close together, since we want a balcony and getting them a regular interior room. It seems there just aren't any available close to us. Maybe I just need to call...

We have decided to go with Carnival. Will they require the boys to be close to us? We are getting them a separate room, but having a hard time finding any close together, since we want a balcony and getting them a regular interior room. It seems there just aren't any available close to us. Maybe I just need to call...

I would insist on the cabins being together. What if, in a very rare case, you have to abandon ship? The odds you'll have the same muster station will be better if your cabins are in the same vicinity. And I think you'll have better control over the boys if across or next to you.

they will require you to register an adult in each room I believe. we cruise with our two kids and have since they were very young. across the hall somewhere on the same deck will be fine. definitely go on the magic. we have been on both several times and for teens the magic is better. also someone said to get a copy of their insurance card; i think regular health insurance is worthless outside the u.s. travel insurance is a must.

Edited by lifes-a-beach

If Carnival is anything like RCCL, they will actually require an adult to be assigned to each room. You are free to switch afterward, but you will be formally assigned to one room and your husband/wife the other. I am sure it is a liability thing for the company.

I always preferred adjoining rooms when my kids were on board. It just makes it easier to keep everyone together.

Edited by SelectSys

Thanks everyone. I called Carnival & booked our cruise on Magic today! We did have to register one adult in each room, but of course the boys will be in one (interior) and we'll be in the other (balcony.) We did get them across the hall & a couple doors down. I agree with insurance being worthless outside the U.S., I've had that experience. I definitely got the trip insurance.