Disembarkation

Spacemagnet

Hi guys,

Our airline, in their infinite wisdom, have changed our afternoon flights on disembarkation day in Southampton, to a morning flight, 09.15am.

Now I know Southampton airport is close but I'd like to know if anybody has any experience of getting off early from the QV in Southampton and getting to the airport on time.

In fact, does anybody know what is the earliest time we can get off?

I ask you this whilst I'm on the phone to Cunard and have been waiting for 20 mins so far, so I'm using my time productively :)

The airport is 5.2 miles away on a busy M road. I think you would have to disembark by 6.30 at the latest, have a taxi waiting to be at the airport by 7.30 because of traffic! It depends on the latest time for your flight check in but it would be prudent to allow 45 minutes from cruise terminal to airport especially on a work morningmaybe not sp bad on Sunday!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we docked on QE on the 7th October, we arrived around 6.30, and self disembark was to start at 7.15 am, and general (suites) at 8.15, actually, they were about 10 minutes earlier starting. A bit to tight for my liking!

Added

Check in is 1 and 1/2 hours!!!

Edited by Adammara
Addition

Sounds tight even if you use self help disembarkation. (One must be able to take all of their luggage down the gangway in one trip with no assistance whatsoever. No porters, no mobility assistance.)

What are your options if you try to make the flight but miss it?

Hi guys,

Our airline, in their infinite wisdom, have changed our afternoon flights on disembarkation day in Southampton, to a morning flight, 09.15am.

Now I know Southampton airport is close but I'd like to know if anybody has any experience of getting off early from the QV in Southampton and getting to the airport on time.

I ask you this whilst I'm on the phone to Cunard and have been waiting for 20 mins so far, so I'm using my time productively :)

If you are lucky to get off ship around 7am and do self disembarkation

Its Between 6 and 10 mins by South West Trains from Southampton Central to Southampton Airport and a further 4 to 5 min walk over the footbridge to the Airport terminal Entrance.

You will have to factor in another 5 to 10 mins to grab a taxi to Southampton Central and buying tickets and getting off the ship to the terminal exit.

Thank you everyone.

I suppose the good things are the airport is nearby and we don't need to be there too early. It's a very small airport so an hour before and we should be fine but I would like to get hold of someone at Cunard and get their thoughts.

So far I've tried ringing three times and each time I'm in a queue for half an hour and get fed up with waiting. :(

Hi guys,

self disembark you could be off by 07.30

if you have a cab ordered and waiting you should be at SOU apt within 30 mins

check-in usually closes at -30 domestic and -45 international so its rather tight and gonna be stressful but you should make it

would I do it ?--- hmmm probably but i used to work for airlines :)

BTW i assume you are going to AMS - why not get a refund and book from LHR and use the Cunard coach direct from ship to the airport which leaves around 0900 or book national express coach from Southampton to LHR

Edited by rog747

I hope you find something that works for you. As a matter of interest, which airline has messed up the times ?

KLM. We initially booked an afternoon flight but they decided to cancel it on that day, not any other day, just that one. Bless 'em.

self disembark you could be off by 07.30

if you have a cab ordered and waiting you should be at SOU apt within 30 mins

check-in usually closes at -30 domestic and -45 international so its rather tight and gonna be stressful but you should make it

would I do it ?--- hmmm probably but i used to work for airlines :)

BTW i assume you are going to AMS - why not get a refund and book from LHR and use the Cunard coach direct from ship to the airport which leaves around 0900 or book national express coach from Southampton to LHR

Personally, I find the idea of going to, and flying out of, LHR more stressful lololol

We have used SOU before and know how easy it is. In one door and out of the other.

I think we shall be fine. If we do miss it, then we have another day's shopping, which for us is a lot cheaper these days. :)

Thank you everyone.

I suppose the good things are the airport is nearby and we don't need to be there too early. It's a very small airport so an hour before and we should be fine but I would like to get hold of someone at Cunard and get their thoughts.

So far I've tried ringing three times and each time I'm in a queue for half an hour and get fed up with waiting. :(

To be honest I wouldn't bother asking anyone at Cunard shoreside for their opinions. I doubt anyone at Cunard offices have had any experience of an early disembarkation and trying to make a flight on time.

Half of those agents have never even been onboard onboard a Cunard ship.

Take your advice from the many replies on this thread, many who are Cunard seasoned travellers, and from those who have previously worked in the airline industry.

The only option of a very early disembarkation is to opt for 'Self Disembarkation' ( you must arrange this 'in person' with the purser's desk the evening before) however, as already been mentioned you must be able to carry all your luggage off the ship 'in one go' ( no returning to collect other items, and no assistance or porters available at that time of the morning).

Other than that, I'm afraid disembarkation calls are usually by deck or Cunard loyalty level.

For peace of mind, I would try to change your flight departure.

:)

Hi guys,

I think it would be very tight. I used to work for BA for 42 years and I personally wouldn't risk it. Of course, you also have to rely on the ship docking on time. Sometimes they are early but I have known them be late as well. Good luck.

If you are not in a hurry, I would be thinking of a leisurely day in the Southampton area, a night in the Airport Premier Inn, and catch the early flight the next morning. I believe there are places to leave your luggage in Southampton if required.

Are flybe flying that day ?

Hopefully Spacemagnet will update us on the outcome,

I see this morning however that space is available on 4 flights on flybe today

1040hrs 1400hrs 1615hrs and 1755hrs

Edited by Pennbank

• 2 months later...

I thought you guys might like to know how it went.

Well, if we had followed the original plan of self-disembarkation and gone straight to the airport with a taxi, then it would have actually been fine as we had plenty of time and we could have caught our flight back, no problem.

We didn't do this due to the fact I had my bag stolen in Lisbon and instead of flying back in the morning, we went straight to the passport office in London, on the train, and spent the whole day organising a new passport and ended up flying out in the evening (from Gatwick) instead.

It was a very, very long day but at least I got it sorted.

This was the first time we had self-disembarked and I must say it was really quick and easy. We will definitely consider doing it again rather than sit around waiting for our number to be called in one of the public areas.

...I had my bag stolen in Lisbon and instead of flying back in the morning, we went straight to the passport office in London, on the train, and spent the whole day organising a new passport and ended up flying out in the evening (from Gatwick) instead.

It was a very, very long day but at least I got it sorted...

I'm sorry your trip had to end on such a bad note. FWIW, I carry travel documents on my person. Passport, ticket, credit card. Lose anything else it's an inconvenience. Lose one of those three it's game over.

While it's no consolation, having your bag stolen before boarding would have been worse as you would have been left at the pier if you had no passport upon check-in. :eek: