p and o confusion

joe grumble

hi everyone. i have travelled with p and o last november (britannia) and was looking at their site for 2 friends who want to go to the fyords next may time. trouble is the website says things like ( cruise by ) in brackets and when i tried to check whether britannia goes into geirenger it doesnt really tell you.

so 2 questions, what does( cruise by ) mean and does britannia sail into geirenger.

also does anyone else think the website needs simplifying as i cant make head n tale of it .

Cruise by means that it sails down the fjord mentioned. If you are looking at the 21 May 2017 sailing then the ports are Stavanger, Flaam, Olden and Bergen. There is no mention of Geiranger but the sail into Flaam is equally as good.

Brian

Yes you have got to say I think the current practice of stating the number of ports on the Fjords itineraries is rather misleading. 'Sailing through' (various Fjords or arms of a Fjord) isn't really 'a port' which I would expect to be a destination where you can get off the ship.

Yes you have got to say I think the current practice of stating the number of ports on the Fjords itineraries is rather misleading. 'Sailing through' (various Fjords or arms of a Fjord) isn't really 'a port' which I would expect to be a destination where you can get off the ship.

They have used words like that for years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I agree, I know they've always used 'cruise by' but now they add that as a port, which it isn't. Next thing you know they will add and extra port: 'cruise by 'Isle of Wight' to everything [emoji23] Seriously though for fjords cruises it does make it look like you are going to a huge number of ports, which is misleading, I had to look twice at just such a cruise this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would strongly advise against booking a Fjords cruise on Britannia, especially if the longer / more scenic Fjords are important to you or your friends. P&O advertise Britannia itineraries that include these locations and then change them a few months before departure, replacing them with more coastal locations. This happened to us last year when both Flaam and Olden were cancelled, which was 50% of our scheduled itinerary and 100% of the long scenic Fjords we were due to visit. P&O did not consider this to be a material change!! Furthermore, they had continued to market the cruise as visiting these ports 6 months after the change had been made. This wasn't a one off either. I found out that 6 port calls to Olden / Flaam by Britannia were cancelled last year. If you book a smaller ship you have far less chance of the itinerary being changed.

I would strongly advise against booking a Fjords cruise on Britannia, especially if the longer / more scenic Fjords are important to you or your friends. P&O advertise Britannia itineraries that include these locations and then change them a few months before departure, replacing them with more coastal locations. This happened to us last year when both Flaam and Olden were cancelled, which was 50% of our scheduled itinerary and 100% of the long scenic Fjords we were due to visit. P&O did not consider this to be a material change!! Furthermore, they had continued to market the cruise as visiting these ports 6 months after the change had been made. This wasn't a one off either. I found out that 6 port calls to Olden / Flaam by Britannia were cancelled last year. If you book a smaller ship you have far less chance of the itinerary being changed.

I went on Britannia to the fjords last year and we went to flam,,,I was truly astounded that she got in because its tiny and she literally filled that little port! I could not believe a ship that big got in there and was then able to manoeuvre round and get out again! The wonders of modern technology and engineering I suppose. I was also amazed and slightly concerned at just how close to the little beach we were parked as well,,the water must be deep to float cruise ships like Britannia,,or don't they need as much as I think they do?

We changed Geiranger to Andalsnes - the change came through about 10 mins after the confirmation !!

There have been other posts about this on here.

That's ok with me,,I liked Andalsnes so it wouldn't be too much of a hardship to visit again.

I agree, I know they've always used 'cruise by' but now they add that as a port, which it isn't. Next thing you know they will add and extra port: 'cruise by 'Isle of Wight' to everything [emoji23] Seriously though for fjords cruises it does make it look like you are going to a huge number of ports, which is misleading, I had to look twice at just such a cruise this week.

On our short cruise on Oriana in July our first day is "Sailing by South Cornwall", otherwise known as a sea day :o

We sailed on Britannia, which made it to Flam. A gorgeous journey there and back.

However, they did cancel Geiranger and substituted Andalsnes. Andalsnes was down as being tender due to the small dock, but the Captain decided to give it a shot and successfully made Britannia the largest ship to dock at the port. So the sail in was not as nice as Geiranger, but there were some very nice walks around Andalsnes that provided some really nice views.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just chuckled reading the posts on this thread - I'm booked on Arcadia in August 2018 to the Fjords. It is a 12 night cruise but the itinerary states '16 ports'

With at least 2 sea days I'm looking forward to an 'extended' holiday!!