Tipping for room service?

Lindypops

A few years ago I was visiting relatives in a small town in Australia & we went to the local bar for a few drinks & when it came to my turn to buy a round I ordered it & said to the Barman Have one yourself, That very nearly got me thrown out of the bar as they consider that as attempted Bribery & if he had exempted my offer his Boss would have sacked him.

Up to the 80s it was the norm, now days (except in small pubs ran by the owner) a no no. Even then you will be told no if they don't know you.

• 9 months later...

We will be doing a TA on QM2 in June (in PG) and have been reading the "dining" threads. I'm rather surprised at the cost of the alternative restaurants and buffet. Guess I've been spoiled on Crystal and Oceania. Is the Verandah worth the extra $100/couple? Are there charges for room service too?

We typically have room service for breakfast, it always comes on time and the service has been great. I bring lots of singles and generally tip $2 or $3 depending....

Same here, irrespective of the particular cruise line, always give a couple of dollars or a couple of quid for room service. But lucky to do room service more than once or twice on a cruise, generally only when we have a really early shorex and have breakfast in cabin.

As for tea and coffee delivery, Cunard have those facilities in cabin now, saves a lot of work for service crew, who can do other things.:hearteyes:

I just don't like the idea of paying tips before you get the service, it might not be up to scratch, I like to tip at the end, dependent on level of service provided. In 22 cruises on various cruise lines, had a couple of cabin stewards/table waiters, who did not perform to a satisfactory level. Tipping is a personal thing and at one's discretion.

Same here, irrespective of the particular cruise line, always give a couple of dollars or a couple of quid for room service. But lucky to do room service more than once or twice on a cruise, generally only when we have a really early shorex and have breakfast in cabin.

As for tea and coffee delivery, Cunard have those facilities in cabin now, saves a lot of work for service crew, who can do other things.:hearteyes:

I just don't like the idea of paying tips before you get the service, it might not be up to scratch, I like to tip at the end, dependent on level of service provided. In 22 cruises on various cruise lines, had a couple of cabin stewards/table waiters, who did not perform to a satisfactory level. Tipping is a personal thing and at one's discretion.

I'm sort of the same.

I despise the tipping culture (and worked for years in the hospitality industry). But on a cruise tip because the staff generally deserve it. But there is no way I will ever pre tip. I don't even tip as I go at bars etc, just last day. But have seldom had someone I thought didn't deserve a tip.

Had one Steward I was less than impressed with. And a few who were too keen on hinting for tips and good reviews, with me a good way to ensure you don't get them. However I have been known to head down to the Purser's desk and drop off a letter to the hotel director, singing the praise of certain certain staff, now don't the staff love that.

We will be doing a TA on QM2 in June (in PG) and have been reading the "dining" threads. I'm rather surprised at the cost of the alternative restaurants and buffet. Guess I've been spoiled on Crystal and Oceania. Is the Verandah worth the extra $100/couple? Are there charges for room service too?

Not sure why you would want to go to the alternative restaurant or the "extra cost" portion of the buffet if you are in PG. No charges for room service. We tip the same for room service on Cunard as we do on Crystal. It is always a good idea to have small bills available for this purpose.

We always tip a couple of dollars for room service. I always thought that Todd English was worth the uncharge on the QM2 (although I know others will disagree) but we are not fond of the Verandah and unless they change the menu, we will not go back.