Voom on Allure

With the Voom Internet, can you use Facebook, games and call while your on board? Please no judging posts, just answers. Thank you.

We used VOOM on our last cruise on Navigator. It was the best internet experience we have had on our 23 cruises.

I used the surf pacakge, and I found it very reliable, not surprisingly fast, but acceptable enough to scroll down on facebook, upload pictures to Instagram, and share video clips thru WhatsApp.

Now my question: who plays video games or watch movies on a cruise? Stay home instead.

We were on the Allure last December and bought the Surf+Stream package and everything worked fine. Even our mobile company's VoIP app worked fine, so we could our families without using roaming. Latency was around 120-180ms roundtrip to the USA. It may sound like a lot (ok, it is if you compare to a land connection), but a regular satellite connection has a ton more (like > 500ms).

Anthem only offers the combination package. All I wanted was surf... But had to buy both.

I always had a company phone, but just got my own so I don't know much about the pricing other than I get free texts and calls. Are calls with the surf and stream free? Do I have to configure my phone? I just don't want to get a surprise big bill from Verizon.

Anthem only offers the combination package. All I wanted was surf... But had to buy both.

I always had a company phone, but just got my own so I don't know much about the pricing other than I get free texts and calls. Are calls with the surf and stream free? Do I have to configure my phone? I just don't want to get a surprise big bill from Verizon.

You need to check your phone and enable WiFI calling if it's not enabled already. That way you can text and make/receive voice calls while on the ship's (or any) WiFi with no charges from the cell carrier. Call the cell carrier for help if you cannot find the settings. This is a one time configuration change that you don't have to mess with once it's done.

Do I have to configure my phone? I just don't want to get a surprise big bill from Verizon.

Call the cell carrier for help if you cannot find the settings. This is a one time configuration change that you don't have to mess with once it's done.

In addition, since you mentioned Verizon, I'll mention that you may need to call Verizon to make a small change to your account. WiFi Calling requires that HD Voice be enabled which may require human intervention on their side to set up depending on how your account is configured.

VOOM naming might a bit confusing but there are two triers of service - Surf (only available on board) and Stream (named Surf and Stream which is not a combination, it's just a name).Currently, pricing is such that Stream precruise is cheaper than Surf onboard, so while Surf might be enough for most people's needs, it makes no sense to buy it when you can get Stream cheaper.

If we all have iPhones, what do we need to turn off while on the ship so we don't get charged cellular roaming fees? Cellular data or just data roaming? Will our phones automatically use the wifi to send texts?

I would turn off cellular data to be safe. The phones will use WiFi for texts if you have WiFI calling enabled or you are using an internet based texting program like iMessage.