Great viewing spots for scenic cruising days (Star)

rgmacm

We are cruising to Alaska on the Star this summer. Where do you prefer to be for viewing on scenic cruising days (Glacier Bay in particular)? I've heard that there are 'secret' decks/areas that are open but not publicized. Perhaps those areas would be good for shooting some video without excess noise...?? Do these exist on the Star and if so, where are they?

Note...we don't have a balcony cabin so that's not an option...

Greetings: My wife and I did the Southbound cruise from Whittier last May and found superb viewing area on deck 8 forward. There were quite a number of people out there viewing and taking videos as well as still shots..so, be sure to get out to the area well before entering the glaciers..we were out there a good hour before we got to the breakwater and then some time before arriving at the glaciers. You won't be sorry if you get there early, although it does get cold out on the bow of the ship with the wind blowing in your face. Good luck!!!

Also be ready to spend some time out there as when they get all the way in they will stop and rotate the ship in order for all to have a chance to see the entire area. Have your camera charged up and plenty of space for pictures. Do nt be afraid to move around.

We are cruising to Alaska on the Star this summer. Where do you prefer to be for viewing on scenic cruising days (Glacier Bay in particular)? I've heard that there are 'secret' decks/areas that are open but not publicized. Perhaps those areas would be good for shooting some video without excess noise...?? Do these exist on the Star and if so, where are they?

Note...we don't have a balcony cabin so that's not an option...

Promenade deck

Forward upper Promenade deck.

Skywalkers.

The glaciers aren't the only thing to see: be on the lookout for seals, etc. Promenade deck is good for this before and after you "visit" the glaciers. As others have said it can be quite cold anywhere outside, partly because the ship is moving through very cold water. So be sure to bundle up, starting with long underwear!

The inside passage itself is also quite scenic, especially as you approach any of the ports after sunrise and as you leave, esp. Skagway and Ketchikan. Be in a place where you can see 360 degrees--i.e., an open upper deck.

I can't speak specifically for the Star, but on the Golden I think the best place is Skywalkers. That shopping cart handle in the sky has the highest vantage point of any location on the ship that is passenger accessible. Other suggestions here are also very good. On the other hand the last time we were in Glacier Bay we had a mini suite and did the Glacier Bay suite breakfast. So, we spent most of our morning in Glacier Bay on our balcony or in our cabin. Only after the ship turned so the other side of the ship could view the glacier did we venture out and see what else was going on aboard.

• 1 month later...

There are no secret places. Good place for video is as others have mentioned promenade deck 7, up the stairs to deck 8 and all the way forward. As mentioned it can be cool there. Skywalker's is nice, but I don't think you can really shoot good video there. It is enclosed with windows and the window seats are benches that face inward.There is an open forward area on deck 15 which gets lots of viewers. There are open side and aft viewing areas on decks 14 (aft only is open), 15 and 16. Deck 16 aft probably will have have very few people. Once on board look around at these locations for what you feel is best for your needs.

We will move forward on the glaciers days, but if we get tired of standing and need to take a break - our room is far aft on deck 7, so we will hop in and out of our balcony, isn't there a promanade deck close by for viewing? Sorry leave in a month and haven't done my research on this ship

We will move forward on the glaciers days, but if we get tired of standing and need to take a break - our room is far aft on deck 7, so we will hop in and out of our balcony, isn't there a promenade deck close by for viewing? Sorry leave in a month and haven't done my research on this ship

What ship are you on? The OP's ship is the Star, and there are no cabins on deck 7 on the Star. Are you on the Island? There is a promenade on deck 7 on the Island. It does not have forward viewing areas. Plenty of time to read the deck plans for your ship.

All the secret places, are no longer secret. I shoot a lot of pictures on the ship. There are many places that are good to shoot from. Just move around, get different shots. Depending on where you are departing and returning to, try this spot just for looking, video might be good. Deck 8 all the way forward, dead center, bow. Look down into the water as you are cruising. It is amazing to see just how much sea life you pass by.

All the secret places, are no longer secret. I shoot a lot of pictures on the ship. There are many places that are good to shoot from. Just move around, get different shots. Depending on where you are departing and returning to, try this spot just for looking, video might be good. Deck 8 all the way forward, dead center, bow. Look down into the water as you are cruising. It is amazing to see just how much sea life you pass by.

You will be in Glacier Bay for many hours, so no need to stake out just one spot unless mobility is an issue. You can get a good look at wildlife from the promenade deck, and it is easy to move around the ship or cut through the middle. My husband got me a fantastic pair of binoculars with a stabilization button, well worth it.

Thank you everyone. It seems that after I post a question I can't get back to read responses for many days (ok...weeks....ugh!!) Anyway, I've put together a list of all of these suggestions. When we get on board, we'll have a few days to scout out all of these and come up with several that will work....

Anyway, Thanks All!

What ship are you on? The OP's ship is the Star, and there are no cabins on deck 7 on the Star. Are you on the Island? There is a promenade on deck 7 on the Island. It does not have forward viewing areas. Plenty of time to read the deck plans for your ship.

Sorry, been working long hours - no, i'm on the star on emerald deck I thought E733 - May 27, guess I should check, I do know I'm on port side emerald deck