ATW19 posted

cbb

True, but very premature-

The majority of the ports have not been decided yet.

All we know are the projected dates.....and people who can take 177 days off aren't exactly Calendar huggers.

true that the itinerary is not fully listed but we can look at the map.

Several of us wanted the ATW17 itinerary tweaked to include: Havana, to turn left out of Panama Canal and go down west coast of SAmerica to Machu Pichu, perhaps even as far as Valparaiso, to Easter Island and then to Polynesia, etc.

Also after leaving Ireland to continue to Iceland, Greenland and then pick up itinerary of Canada and US to Miami.

Only Havana was added.

Several wanted LA/Hawaii dropped since so many people had been there, but we knew LA wouldn't be dropped since it would be a segment start/end.

So now the discussions will be begin; do we have our reunion cruise in '19?

So now the discussions will be begin; do we have our reunion cruise in '19?
Let optimism reign, but I predict that this itinerary will go through major changes between now and Sailing Day.

It is obvious that they tried for more commercial "segments" in order to keep the accountants happy but by almost entirely avoiding South America and Africa, there may be some backlash about calling this a Word Cruise.

INS190114H.jpg

A Circumnavigation certainly, but....

we don't see a lot of difference between '19 and '17. We were all hoping for some changes to the itinerary.

New itinerary only has 2 ports in NZ; Auckland & Wellington + islands off the northern coast. No overnight that we see in Sydney or Beijing (probably fault lies with Chinese govt--they did that to us on '16 while on board)

Does have a nice number of ports in Japan.

Several of the ATW16 people who were hoping for a "reunion cruise in '19 are saying "NO" now.

'18 is almost identical to the '16 itinerary.

We too thought we had overnights in Beijing but the govt said "no" when we were off the coast of SE Africa and so there was a mad scramble to figure out a way to see everything we wanted in Beijing: Forbidden City & T Square as well as the Wall and it can't really be done in one day.

O got us & the Horners into an overland they were offering, but many of the others took the bullet train out of Shanghai, I think. The Chinese govt can change the itinerary at any time.

An overnight in Kyoto is wonderful and Komodo is also offered but once you've seen the dragons I'm not personally excited about getting on a tender to go see them again.

I've been waiting to see what they offer for 2019 - it's not as good as hoped for. Like Cynthia, we hoped for a much better Pacific crossing as well as Iceland.

The map showing the ship going all around the South Island of New Zealand without a port makes no sense.

I recall at a meeting on the 2016 w/c the cruise director noted there were 240 doing the full voyage (ignoring that most of those were transferred from the cancelled 2015 cruise) and he added they were hoping for around 350 for 2017, 450 for 2018 and felt that eventually the whole ship would be full circumnavigators. I wonder how many on the current voyage are on for the full 180. They are going to come up with newer itineraries if they want to fill the ship

This new itinerary looks more geared to attracting segmenters than full voyage passengers.

Hey Wayne....how are you and Frieda doing? Doesn't sound like you're doing ATW19. Several people are concerned about the lack of NZ ports.

Maybe Christchurch isn't ready for cruise ships yet since their earthquake and aftershocks. Don't know why no other ports though....not even Rotorua.

Also noticed no Tasmania--maybe after ATW16 they decided just not to try again?

Hope your winter isn't too bad.....