Viking River Cruises - Rhine - in the Fall?

BobnJan66

(8 day) from Basel to Amsterdam: Would those who have done this Viking cruise, in the Fall, recommend (or NOT recommend) a particular month? Sept. - Oct. - Nov.? Would a November cruise just mean having to pack a lot more clothes for colder days and nights? Can you even go out on ship deck comfortably in November? In the evening? Thanks for your help and guidance.

We were on Viking sep 22 Amsterdam to Basel and our weather was amazing! We did Danube AMA Christmas market and loved that also - just make sure the markets are open if you go that route....we went the first week they began and again our weather was cold but expected and magical!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sept and October are usually good, but November is a dreary month with no leaves left on the trees, often grey skies and fog in the valleys. December is similar but the Christmas markets are open and decorations are up which gives the towns a festive flair! Personally, I would not spend the money to sail in November.

I think it just depends. We did mid December for Xmas markets and I never even put on my scarf or gloves. Just a jacket. We did very end of October and I was expecting dreary weather and it was warm and sunny the whole time. Leaves were still on the trees and it was beautiful. Locals kept commenting on how late fall had come. I think early October would be ideal. Cool, but not cold, fall colors, low crowds.

We cruised in early to mid November and loved it. It was not very cold-I only used a light weight jacket over layers. We saw lovely color in the vineyards and the Vienna Christmas markets were open. Bonus was that prices were less expensive in Nov. We wouldn't hesitate to book another November cruise but would consider late October if the price was right. Wouldn't choose September for fear of possible warm and humid temps.

We did the Grand European cruise third week of October - the fall foliage was beautiful, lots of pumpkins in town squares! We had nice, crisp cool weather .

We did the Elbe river cruise mid October - again beautiful weather, with only one day of rain in Dresden .

Would not hesitate to book a river cruise in October in the Rhine/Main/Danube region.

Edited by CJcruzer

We did the Romantic Rhine in Mid October - we had cool crisp temps - mostly in 50s and 60s and sunshine w only one day of misty rain. Normally wore long sleeved shirt w a fleece vest. Had a pair of gloves but rarely wore them. Would rather have to duck in to a cafe to warm up a bit than overheating!!

Edited by knoxclone