Iberian cruise - how easy to do ports alone?

Presto2

Hi, unlike us we have just booked a cruise for May (rather than spending at least 12 months researching the ports first ;) )

We are stopping at La Coruna, La Rochelle, Bilbao and Guernsey and apart from La Coruna we can't remember how far from the ports the ship docks and if we can do them alone or not.

Thanks

Edited by Presto2
It disappeared!

Hi

Done this itinerary twice my tips are:-

La Corunna did a coastal walk a circular walk taking in the promenade out to the headland and lighthouse. We stopped there for a while toilets and a drink stop. Scenery amazing then carried on back to town. Our weather was glorious so it was nice to walk took about 1-2 hours.

Bilbao got the shuttle bus which drops you in the centre. Get a map then we walked to the Guggenheim and followed the river. We crossed the river and took the elevator to see amazing views over the city. We then came down and continued to walk along the embankment to the old town which was well worth a visit.

A great city.

La Rochelle a lovely port shuttle bus to town then just wander great market nice shops great restaurants. Also my sister visited the aquarium and said it was one of the best she had been in.

Guernsey As said a tender port caught the local bus for an island tour not what we expected seemed to be on it ages but nevertheless a very pretty place. Last time we went Farmers Market on so lots to see.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks for these tips. We have done the La Coruna coastal path and loved the amazing scenery.

Have done the museum in Bilbao and hated it inside, so the idea of the elevator sounds good.

When we went to La Rochelle we did a tour and are tempted by the Cognac Tour this time

Never went in Guggenheim but enjoyed all the pavement artists on embankment. Elevator very cheap it's tucked away so watch out for signs.

Cognac tour sounds good hic hic !!!!

Never went in Guggenheim but enjoyed all the pavement artists on embankment. Elevator very cheap it's tucked away so watch out for signs.

Cognac tour sounds good hic hic !!!!

Sadly hubby hates Brandy and we usually go for a wine tour .... then again, I suppose I could have more....... may not get up the steps back on to the ship though !!!:eek:

I found La Rochelle a lovely port, we wondered around by the harbour and visited two of the three towers there. Also had crepes and cider in one of the harbour restaurants with a great view!

Am going again this year and have booked a trip to Ile de Re as it looks lovely. Would be happy to go into La Rochelle again but the shuttle bus was quite a long journey it seemed made worse by the fact we had no idea if we were on the right one going back! The French lady sort of bundled us onboard without asking if we were going to a cruise ship [emoji23] we were all looking at each other on the bus and finally asking if we were all going to Azura!! Never been so relieved to see the ship!

Also my second time to Bilbao this year, i have found good info on Tom's port guides and there is also a HoHo bus. Last time we just did the Guggenheim and as the weather wasn't very good went back to the ship. Shuttles plentiful and well organised we found there.

Haven't been to Guernsey on a ship, we couldn't get in and were sent to Cherbourg! Hoping to get in this time as it's our 6th cruise and we've never been on a tender! Castle Cornet is very close to where you tender to though. We stayed in St Peter Port on a non cruise holiday and enjoyed the castle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is nice to wander round the old town in Bilbao. As an alternative Getxo is a pleasant place. You can take the lift to the town and wander down the Main Street and see the Transporter bridge. There is a nice beach near the ship.

It is nice to wander round the old town in Bilbao. As an alternative Getxo is a pleasant place. You can take the lift to the town and wander down the Main Street and see the Transporter bridge. There is a nice beach near the ship.

Is it easily walkable? Or do you need a taxi ? Thank you, I may be interested in this if it's a really hot day (we are going in July)

Is it easily walkable? Or do you need a taxi ? Thank you, I may be interested in this if it's a really hot day (we are going in July)

Not sure if you mean Bilbao or Getxo. Bilbao is walkable from the shuttle. Getxo is walkable too. You walk down past buildings to the end of the dock. The beach is just to your left. The lift is behind it. You can walk to the Transporter bridge along the shore past many huge houses instead of going through the town.

http://getxo.eus/en/turismo/

This might help.

Alternatively

http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html#bilbao

Tom's guides are great. We have used them in many places. Free to download.

On Guernsey, we highly recommend taking the local bus service that does a circular coastal route around the island - you can stay on all the way round or get off if you want to explore and get the next bus (half hourly service I think). We stayed on and it cost us £1 each - terrific value! Beautiful island.

On Guernsey, we highly recommend taking the local bus service that does a circular coastal route around the island - you can stay on all the way round or get off if you want to explore and get the next bus (half hourly service I think). We stayed on and it cost us £1 each - terrific value! Beautiful island.

Sounds good - how long does it take if you stay on?

I think the Guernsey bus took about an hour and half right the way round - it stops for local folk to get on and off of course, so you get to see the villages, fab coastline and bays plus it passes some of the popular visitor attractions en route if you want to hop off. The bus goes from just opposite the quay where the tenders land - timetable and info booth for maps etc nearby too. You can pre-buy a ticket or pay on the bus. We had plenty of time to do the museum after and have a good walk round the harbour too. So a good way to see the island...

We are doing this itinerary too. I've been looking at Gexto (after floflegs reminded me of the port name!) and on 'what's in port' it states there is a free circular shuttle from the cruise terminal. This does a route between the bridge and shopping centre. Could be handy if you aren't going to Biboa and it's hot.

We went on the bus around Guernsey, cheapest tour I've ever had.

Gexto (would not have remembered the name but remember the place) is a nice walk. Out of the port and turn left along the promenade, half way along you will see a random lift on the right hand side in the cliff. It's cost a euro and takes you right up into the town. There are some quaint little shops and tapas bars. Nice if you don't fancy the shuttle in to Balbao.

Tip if you go to the Gugenheim, don't take a large back pack as they will take if off you and the que for that is longer than for the actually getting in.

Thanks for all of these great ideas everyone. Really appreciate it as it has given us some great options. I think we are going to go on this cruise to relax so rather than book excursions we are just going to DIY for ports so that we are not stuck to an alarm clock and can just chill out. The places you are suggesting sound great for this sort of cruise :)

There is a 2 hour hour of Bilbao with Hercules Tours for €15. You can book or pick up at the port. We are going to do it in May. Last time we just wandered round and looked for the grave of Sir John Moore. Showing my age here as we learned the poem about his death at school. We found it and were surprised to see a soldier still standing on duty. We cut down to the coast and walked back to the centre.

Gexto (would not have remembered the name but remember the place) is a nice walk. Out of the port and turn left along the promenade, half way along you will see a random lift on the right hand side in the cliff. It's cost a euro and takes you right up into the town. There are some quaint little shops and tapas bars. Nice if you don't fancy the shuttle in to Balbao.

Tip if you go to the Gugenheim, don't take a large back pack as they will take if off you and the que for that is longer than for the actually getting in.

Not sure if you mean Bilbao or Getxo. Bilbao is walkable from the shuttle. Getxo is walkable too. You walk down past buildings to the end of the dock. The beach is just to your left. The lift is behind it. You can walk to the Transporter bridge along the shore past many huge houses instead of going through the town.

http://getxo.eus/en/turismo/

This might help.

Alternatively

http://www.tomsportguides.com/port-guides.html#bilbao

Tom's guides are great. We have used them in many places. Free to download.

Thanks I did mean Getxo

Thanks for all of these great ideas everyone. Really appreciate it as it has given us some great options. I think we are going to go on this cruise to relax so rather than book excursions we are just going to DIY for ports so that we are not stuck to an alarm clock and can just chill out. The places you are suggesting sound great for this sort of cruise :)

Yes this itinerary was our first cruise (in 2012) and we only did the one excursion (Santiago from La Coruna) and we had a very relaxing time just walking round ourselves and using the shuttles. So many people do loads of excursions on their first cruise - What I'm trying to say is if we managed it on our first cruise it will be easy for you! :D

Yes this itinerary was our first cruise (in 2012) and we only did the one excursion (Santiago from La Coruna) and we had a very relaxing time just walking round ourselves and using the shuttles. So many people do loads of excursions on their first cruise - What I'm trying to say is if we managed it on our first cruise it will be easy for you! :D

Hi Sue, that is exactly what we want. We hadn't really planned on this one at all, so it is a bonus. Not really sure how we ended up booking it, but we are now more than happy to be returning to Britannia:D

Hi Sue, that is exactly what we want. We hadn't really planned on this one at all, so it is a bonus. Not really sure how we ended up booking it, but we are now more than happy to be returning to Britannia:D

We have a friend like that always has accidentally booked another cruise. You must have the booking agent on speed dial. :)

We have.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

There is a 2 hour hour of Bilbao with Hercules Tours for €15. You can book or pick up at the port. We are going to do it in May. Last time we just wandered round and looked for the grave of Sir John Moore. Showing my age here as we learned the poem about his death at school. We found it and were surprised to see a soldier still standing on duty. We cut down to the coast and walked back to the centre.

My apologies I should have said Corina not Bilbao. Senior moment!

Love it [emoji4] sounds like me 'accidently' buying some shoes today [emoji4]

We have a friend like that always has accidentally booked another cruise. You must have the booking agent on speed dial. :)

We have.

:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Love it [emoji4] sounds like me 'accidently' buying some shoes today [emoji4]

We only started out looking for self catering holidays so have no idea how it happened.

And yes, Dai, our TA loves us very much ...... :)