Crnival Dream (etc) - electrical outlet in head <aka 'bathroom'> hot with door open?

PaperSniper4

The title says it all. I wonder if the electrical outlet (if there is one) is hot or cold when the door to the head is shut? Anyone tried that recently? We like a nightlight in there.....I'm an old guy and 'like' to visit often in the middle of the night.;)

BTW, if it is not, I have one of those battery powered, motion activated lights that I bring just in case.

Thanks.

The title says it all. I wonder if the electrical outlet (if there is one) is hot or cold when the door to the head is shut? Anyone tried that recently? We like a nightlight in there.....I'm an old guy and 'like' to visit often in the middle of the night.;)

BTW, if it is not, I have one of those battery powered, motion activated lights that I bring just in case.

Thanks.

The outlet in the bathroom is live only when the light in the bathroom is on, which defeats the purpose of a night light.

We use a batter operated tealight candle. It provides just enough light for the middle of the night visits.

The outlet in the bathroom is live only when the light in the bathroom is on, which defeats the purpose of a night light.

We use a batter operated tealight candle. It provides just enough light for the middle of the night visits.

Ah, as I suspected. On those tea lights, I have considered them as they are small and light....but how long do their batteries last? I've never brought them along as I figured one night was about all they'd "burn". But they are much lighter than that 9vdc "motion night light" I have been taking.

Ah, as I suspected. On those tea lights, I have considered them as they are small and light....but how long do their batteries last? I've never brought them along as I figured one night was about all they'd "burn". But they are much lighter than that 9vdc "motion night light" I have been taking.

I took 3 battery operated tea lights on our Dream cruise, one for on the vanity and two in the bathroom. They lasted all 7 nights.

I've used the same tealight on two seven day cruises plus a number of hotel stays.

I only turn it on at bedtime and off when I wake up so it seems to be lasting well.

(Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself. :eek:)

I took 3 battery operated tea lights on our Dream cruise, one for on the vanity and two in the bathroom. They lasted all 7 nights.

Thanks Yvonne, that's good to hear. I may try those an upcoming cruise. Three of those little lights would b take up less weight and cube than my usual motion activated 9vdc light.

The only outlet in the bathroom says its for shavers only.

We have used it to charge electronic devices.

.... even when it (essentially) says not to?

I personally would not run the risk to myself, my device or the rest of the ship were something to go wrong.

I personally would not run the risk to myself, my device or the rest of the ship were something to go wrong.

I do not remember a sign says shavers only, will look next cruise.

BTW what could go wrong? It is an electrical outlet and we keep the device well away from any liquid.

You don't understand the night light I'm using. It reacts to any current, it's not an incandescent light. It's more of a current detector. This little light is not frequency dependent and draws essentially no current. I've used that little light on dozens of ships and dozens of non-USA hotels without issue. It doesn't even get warm. The biggest issue is often that outlet is the Euro-stype round plug, although most ships might have either that or the US-style.

Here's a link that explains about those "electric shaver" plugs.

One issue with those "electric shaver" outlets is they are generally very low current, and may not efficiently power chargers and the like. I'd not recommend their use for charging anything, nor for connecting anything with an electronic circuit (camera, iPod, telephone, etc). We always have a one-to-many extension cord with us that we use with the "regular" electrical outlets in the cabin. That's fine for charging our phones, cameras, tablet, etc.

Still, I agree that it's always best to be extra cautious and prepared for powered issues (the topic of this thread), which is why I prefer a battery powered unit.:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link that explains about those "electric shaver" plugs.

One issue with those "electric shaver" outlets is they are generally very low current, and may not efficiently power chargers and the like. I'd not recommend their use for charging anything, nor for connecting anything with an electronic circuit (camera, iPod, telephone, etc). We always have a one-to-many extension cord with us that we use with the "regular" electrical outlets in the cabin. That's fine for charging our phones, cameras, tablet, etc.

Still, I agree that it's always best to be extra cautious and prepared for powered issues (the topic of this thread), which is why I prefer a battery powered unit.:cool:

There is no problem using a low wattage electronic device like a USB charger in these "shaver only" outlets. The article says that these are limited to 20-40 watts or 200mA. A USB charger that provides even 2 amps at the 5 volts of the USB standard output, is only drawing 10 watts, so a single USB charger in this outlet will charge a device just fine. Even a two or three USB port charger should charge just as well as when plugged into a normal outlet. It is only when you get above this number of USB ports that you could slow down your charging.

There is no problem using a low wattage electronic device like a USB charger in these "shaver only" outlets. The article says that these are limited to 20-40 watts or 200mA. A USB charger that provides even 2 amps at the 5 volts of the USB standard output, is only drawing 10 watts, so a single USB charger in this outlet will charge a device just fine. Even a two or three USB port charger should charge just as well as when plugged into a normal outlet. It is only when you get above this number of USB ports that you could slow down your charging.

Thank you once again