Leave tonight: Vietnam & cambodia

harbourside

We have just reserved a November cruise on the Mekong with Vantage. Anyone sailed with them?

All the information here is great especially the Visa as it had me confused.

We are going to do a pre-trip to HongKong.

I will be checking soon about any immunizations needed and malaria prophylaxis. Any thoughts?

will a rain poncho be sufficient or should we take a real raincoat (packable.)

Visas (Cambodia and Vietnam) depend on where you are entering the country/countries, whether arriving at a major airport, arriving by land (including at the Mekong River border crossing between Cambodia and Vietnam), how long you will be in each country and whether you are reentering the country once you leave.

• 7 months later...

As you are not in your Cabin much, for sight seeing go up to Top Deck, it is open you can see both sides.;)

Pamela.We are booking Feb. 6, 2017... Amadara upriver HCMC to Siem Reap. Wondering if one side of the ship is better than the other for sightseeing from the boat?

We are booking Feb. 6, 2017... Amadara upriver HCMC to Siem Reap. Wondering if one side of the ship is better than the other for sightseeing from the boat?

We went the opposite direction and we chose a port side cabin to avoid the hot afternoon sun. Maybe a starboard cabin would be best traveling up river?

I think a lot of the river cruising is much the same either side, good views all around, and the best stuff can be seen from the top deck.

thanks, Foxie and Amyr. Appreciate your help!

I have some medical issues, so we will be resting in the cabin for periods of time during the day. I had wondered about the sun issue... Starboard sounds good... and as high as we can get in our price range...

and amyr, since you've done this cruise... can I ask a question about the excursions? I will be carrying a portable oxygen generator... about 10 pounds... in a backpack and I walk slowly. How strenuous would you say the excursions are... and were there one or two that stood out as more difficult walking than others?

Hmm. I remember struggling at Angkor Wat. I'm a really good walker, and that one bothered me, mostly because of the heat. It was almost unbearable, and we were there in December, and I'm from Florida. It may have been worse for us because there was a big half-marathon event going on and a lot of the roads were closed and we had to park far away and walk and walk and walk. If I had to do that part over again I would have hired a private guide to drive us around the temples in a tuk tuk. Someone who has been more recently would know better.

One thing that AMA didn't do (we went in 2012) then, and I don't know if they do it now, is structure excursions according to ability. We were separated into groups at the beginning of the cruise, and we couldn't switch around, which a lot of us didn't really care for. It would have been better if they had maybe two different excursions with different agility levels and people could choose which to do. It's a fantastic trip, and it would be even better if they did that.

We are booking Feb. 6, 2017... Amadara upriver HCMC to Siem Reap. Wondering if one side of the ship is better than the other for sightseeing from the boat?

We are booked on this sailing from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi February 6,2017. We were on Amawaterways river cruise in Burma February 2016. Loved it.

As amyr reports Angkor has a great deal of walking and steps. We were there few years ago..really hot.

if Amadara is anything like AmaPura don't worry about sun in the cabin..there were heavy room darkening curtains and good a/c.

we booked cabin on first (lower deck) as you get on/off that deck and the dining room was also on that deck.

The lounge where you gather before dinner is one deck up but the sun deck is 2 decks up. We went cheap as possible as the basic cabins are all the same just different positions on the ship. Did that also on the AmaPura.

Looking forward to this cruise.

Faye

I had a knee replacement 3rd days on arrival home, I couldn't do some of the excursions because of steps, stairs, steep banks, we had to negotiate. I also found I couldn't do the walking tour of Angkor Wat Temple, the steps were too steep and uneven for me. We had to walk a long way from our bus also to the Ruins, it was 5am, dark when we arrived, we were each given torches, as the ground was very uneven.

There wasn't much time to rest as most days there were tours in the morning and afternoon, I must admit, I didn't do some of the afternoon tours.

Our Cabin was also on the lower Deck, it was great, being near the Dining room. A/c worked very well. Hope this helps you. Oh, we were there last 2 weeks of March this year, it was so hot!. Cambodia was very dry they were waiting for rain. It may sound like we didn't enjoy the trip, but, we did very much, as I am sure you will too.

Pamela. thanks, Foxie and Amyr. Appreciate your help!

I have some medical issues, so we will be resting in the cabin for periods of time during the day. I had wondered about the sun issue... Starboard sounds good... and as high as we can get in our price range...

and amyr, since you've done this cruise... can I ask a question about the excursions? I will be carrying a portable oxygen generator... about 10 pounds... in a backpack and I walk slowly. How strenuous would you say the excursions are... and were there one or two that stood out as more difficult walking than others?

Edited by Foxie02

It would have been better if they had maybe two different excursions with different agility levels and people could choose which to do. It's a fantastic trip, and it would be even better if they did that.

APT did that for one of the larger temples. The guide also said where to meet in case somebody wanted to rest. The second guide took a slower group. We were with the faster group, but skipped going up to the highest temple because it looked like a 30 minute wait in the sun. We told our guide and walked back to the meeting point at our leisure. Lots of people from various groups and countries waiting in the shade there.

The heat and humidity are incredible. In Florida, I would never walk around that much in summer.

We did this cruise with APT in February on an AMA ship. Ask the guide before each excursion whether it is appropriate for you. There was not a lot of walking except in Siam Reap and the walks were short and slow. However, once we did a bicycle rickshaw tour and the seating was not very comfortable. We had to climb up into the seat but the guides helped. Once we did an oxcart tour which my husband skipped and some young people on the tour preferred to walk when they saw the carts.

I was reading Elisabeth's blog and it looked like their company did slightly different excursions. The guides will advise you. Our group was assigned a guide but we could change to another guide any time before an excursion.

I want to thank all of you for your kind replies! I used to backpack and climb mountains, so it is a bit difficult to adjust to my "new normal." But we are committed to doing as much as we can for as long as we can.

And Faye - we've decided to join you - making reservations tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting you!

From your descriptions and after conversing with the AMA Waterways sales person, I think we'll be OK on all or most of the excursions during the cruise. They will have me pegged right off as a slowpoke - I think they have symbols on the manifest for things like medical needs, PITA, and so on. I'll have the first two marked for sure!

Your descriptions of the temples have convinced us that we will be better off doing our own booking in Siem Reap. We'll probably stay 5 days and hire a driver and guide so we can do partial days and spread out the sightseeing with lots of down time to rest and soak up local atmosphere. From the brief research I've done, sounds like private services are extremely inexpensive compared with costs we'd see in many other locations, so even a "splurge" like this won't break the bank...

Thanks again, folks!

do you think Binoculars should be in our suitcase for this trip!

any other packing suggestions?

We didn't take binoculars, limited wildlife, but if you like you can watch the water buffaloes close up.

For Siam Reap, we needed all the freshly laundered clothes we had including underwear. We always came back to the hotel soaking wet - heat and humidity. I am glad we had two fast drying shirts each which we washed in the sink after each return to the hotel. We don't usually like them, prefer cotton. I was also glad I brought my oldest ecco walking sandals and a pair of simple and cheap black leather sandals for onboard. I left both in Cambodia.

Mosquito repellent, sunscreen, hat. Pants or skirts long enough to over your knees. Shirts have to cover shoulders in Buddhist temples and Angkor Wat. Despite the heat and poverty, the locals dress appropriately all the time.

We brought 1 USD bills for tips. 1 USD was used to tip the rickshaw and the oxcart drivers on the tours. It's their 'lucky money'.

I packed some powdered Pedialyte in packets, and it was a lifesaver in Cambodia. They gave us plenty of water (and there were often people selling water, soda, and beer every time we got off a bus for $1) but we were sweating so much we needed the electrolytes. Gatorade packets would work just as well, but they're sugary. We could sort of feel ourselves 'coming back' as we were drinking it.

We did the whole package from Hanoi (and went in to Hanoi early) through Saigon which included the Siem Reap portion, but we would have enjoyed that part more on our own I think. The hotel was fantastic, but I would have been happier taking all of that at a more leisurely pace. We loved the town as well, and we really only had one late afternoon/evening there.

We were really happy we went to Hanoi early because that part was rushed on the tour. We hooked up with some HanoiKids and really, really enjoyed it. Also loved Halong Bay.

On our trip with Viking we had one veteran with us who had considerable limitations on his ability to walk or climb anything yet our guides always found a way for him to see and enjoy almost everything to the full.

In some places it was a private tuk-tuk arranged for him by our guide, in others a wheelchair with pusher etc. but he missed nothing and seemingly enjoyed everything.

When it came to the steep banks the guides and crew were so abundant with their help that I don't think it was even possible for him to slip or fall without there being at least two crew members between him at the ground.

They really couldn't have done more to make the whole experience work for him.

I trust you will find similar help and accomodations when needed so you too can enjoy this fantastic trip.

Will be on AMADara Siem Reap to HCM City in March 2017. Looking at Optional Tours for HCM. Trying to decide whether to go for their Cu Chi Tunnels tour or arrange our own which would go by speed boat 1 way and shorten the travel time. Also have read that tunnels at Ben Duoc are less touristy. What did you think of the AMA arranged tour?

Also, will be arriving one day early in Hanoi. Hanoi Kids tours are highly rated. Any other suggestions for free time in Hanoi? Did anyone take the bunker tour at the Sofitel?

Thanks!

OBX - we did the speedboat to Cu Chi Tunnels, and it was a great way to go. We got in and out. We were among the first in, and by the time we left the buses were flowing in. They also fed us a really good lunch.

We used Hanoi Kids and loved them. We had two different pairs. The first ones we met when we first got in and had them teach us how to cross the street, which is very important in Hanoi. I also got up early one morning and walked to Hoan Kim Lake in the middle of the city to watch all the morning exercisers. There were ballroom dancers, lots of tai chi exercisers with streamers and flags, etc., it was fantastic. We had them take us to the West Lake area because that wasn't covered on our tour. We also walked through the old town with them because the AMA included tour only buzzed through in a rickshaw.

See if you can figure out what's covered and what's not on the website and then do that with the Kids.

PS - we did the bunker tour and it was interesting. Don't miss out on something else to do it, but if you're at loose ends, absolutely.

Edited by amyr

I don't, sorry. I think it was something like Saigon Express? A very generic name. They picked us up at the hotel, which was nice, and dropped us off wherever we wanted.

Also, in Saigon our guide arranged a bus to take us all to the big shopping market after we checked in to the hotel. It wasn't part of the tour, it was a bonus. We went, and it wasn't great. It was hot, hot, hot, and we had to be back at Door 3 or somewhere to catch the bus back and I spent the whole time worrying about that. Also, it was crowded. We walked ourselves back early one morning and it was much better. Cooler and no crowds.

Also, on the drive from Hanoi to Halong Bay we stopped for a bathroom break about halfway at a place where some millionaire set up a workshop for Agent Orange survivors. There were arts, crafts, and souvenirs as far as the eye could see, and they were some of the best of the trip. I wish I had known that, but it was the beginning of the whole trip for us, and I thought I'd see some of the stuff again. We didn't necessarily.

We also loved Phnom Penh and were really surprised in general how much we enjoyed Cambodia. We really went for Vietnam and Angkor Wat, but everyone agreed that the rest of Cambodia was such a lovely surprise.

thanks so much for the "packing" tips. Pedialyte is always in my first aid/medication bag. I just bought 3 quick dry travel dresses that should wash out in the sink. We were so hot and sweaty in the Amazon that after one particularly hot treck in the jungle (imagine sweat dripping out of the sleeve of the shirt ) my husband got in shower with his shirt ON to make sure it was well rinsed even before the laundry!

I am wondering if the stop on the way to Halong Bay is done by most cruise operators. We will be on Vantage! Hoping to get much of our Christmas shopping done!

Will be on AMADara Siem Reap to HCM City in March 2017. Looking at Optional Tours for HCM. Trying to decide whether to go for their Cu Chi Tunnels tour or arrange our own which would go by speed boat 1 way and shorten the travel time. Also have read that tunnels at Ben Duoc are less touristy. What did you think of the AMA arranged tour?

Also, will be arriving one day early in Hanoi. Hanoi Kids tours are highly rated. Any other suggestions for free time in Hanoi? Did anyone take the bunker tour at the Sofitel?

Thanks!

Does Amawaterways offer this tour? We are on from Saigon to Hanoi and I don't see it offered through them. We go Feb 2017. Looking at the speed boat tour through Les Rives on our own as we arrive 1 day early.

I'm sure everybody stops there. It's called The Hong Ngoc Humanity Centre for victims of Agent Orange. We groaned at first, it felt like we were being herded through a rug shop in Turkey, but it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Some of the other shopping tours later in the trip weren't great (silk weaving, etc.) but that one was full of really nice hand made stuff. Also lots of Vietnamese food treats. Also, the crafts in Cambodia were very different from the ones in Vietnam.

I thought the silk weaving stop was fantastic. Machines from the time when they were imported by the French still in operation. That town is probably the only place in the world where they still use these old machines. It's like a living museum but still a viable business. I bought a loose silk blouse and wished I had bought another one in a different color. Great in hot weather.

I also liked the other stops with the candy making and the mat making. All businesses still use hand and old machine tools in the manufacturing process for the local market. The tourist income is just an additional bonus.

Where else can you see small family run factories from the beginning of the industrialization. Today, it's either expensive wares hand made by artisans or lower cost large factory products.

2 more questions -

Sounds like we'll be doing quite a bit of walking on dusty, dirt roads. Would you recommend sandals or closed toe shoes?

Can the ship (AMADara) do our laundry? or do we need to plan on hotels for laundry? Saw that a few folks found places ashore for drop off and next day pick up when they were docked more than one night.