Electrical Extension cords

Gidget424

As long as it's not a surge protector. Ships are grounded differently than land. Land surge protectors are a fire hazard onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've read that outlets are limited in the staterooms on some cruises. We're taking a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette and wonder if it might be a good idea to pack an extension cord. Are they allowed?

I can't find any prohibition on the Celebrity website. But, it's best to ask this question directly to the cruise line. And check any pre-cruise information you're sent from them for specifics about any restricted items.

Depending on how many things need to be plugged in on most ships there is a European style 220v outlet. Items with a DC power transformer should be labeled to be OK to 240v (do check) and then all you need is a plug adapter to convert outlet to flat blade plug. I charge all my electronics that way and can even "slave" phone, Nook, camera and other USB rechargeables to my laptop so do three at a time on the one 220 outlet. Could do more with a USB splitter.

I have used a power board on some cruise lines, but have had it confiscated twice on RCL. Just have to juggle when this happens, two cameras, two iPads, two iPhones, you get the picture, it is doable.

That's their policy so go with the flow.

I've read that outlets are limited in the staterooms on some cruises. We're taking a cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette and wonder if it might be a good idea to pack an extension cord. Are they allowed?

I guess they are allowed because last year I brought one to Silhouette in my hand luggage (which goes through a scanner). "limited" is really just one. Which, IMHO, is not much for a recently built ship where probably most cabins have at least 2 phones to charge, and probably one iPad, a laptop, whatever.