Fun Adventurous Family stuff to do in St. Petersburg

I'm looking for for Fun Adventurous Family stuff to do in St. Petersburg. My wife and I are 48 and our kids are 15 and 18 and will be coming in via a cruise ship on a Saturday and a Sunday July 18-19 2015. We will have a private driver for eight hour each days and we will also have 4 hour the first evening to explore alone. Doing the usually tourist stuff is not us we like doing local everyday people stuff. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Doing the usually tourist stuff is not us we like doing local everyday people stuff.

Locals go to museums too...especially if there are traveling exhibits or free admission days; they also keep up with what's new in theaters (drama, musicals, etc.)

There's always something going on in the city - festivals, celebrations, open-air concerts, etc. - that locals visit, but it's too early, July schedules aren't out yet.

There are also places that are basically amusement parks, water parks, bowling centers, indoor skydiving places - which are very popular with the locals but do you really want to travel to a unique place like St. Petersburg and do stuff that you can basically do in any other major city?

Ride the subway. Go to a local grocery store. Visit The Russian Vodka Museum

(4 Konnogvardeysky Boulevard) or the St Petersburg Museum of Bread

(73 Ligovsky). Take a canal cruise.

But do make time to see some of the traditional sites -- they are famous for a good reason.

When you say that you will have four hours alone on the first evening, you don't mean that you driver will have left you for the day and you will be making your own way back to the ship, do you? Because if that is the case, you will have to apply for individual visas.

1) Ask the tour guide for local ideas.

2) Get a good St P tour book for ideas.

I would look at things NOT available in the U.S. The subways are gorgeous, so don't miss a ride with your guide in the lead.

Your children might enjoy taking a hydrofoil to Peterhof and running through the fountains.

In terms of food, Stolle is very kid friendly and quite delicious. The menu is online, but please note that not all of the delicious savory or sweet pies are available each day. The daily menu will be available when you arrive, but this will give you an idea of your options. http://www.stolle.ru/en/menu/saint-petersburg

Also, if they like art, perhaps either taking a Matryoshka doll painting class or a visit to the Porcelain factory with a masterclass of porcelain painting. I don't have experience with this vendor, but Best Guides has been recommended by other families and their family tour page is here: http://www.bestguides-spb.com/children-page.html . They can also arrange a visit with a local family.

Edited by kitkat343

The OP's kids are 15 and 18. Less likely to probably want to run thru fountains and paint dolls. ;)

We're traveling with ages 9-15, so are doing a mix of Peterhof fountains, hydrofoil, the Cat Museum, shopping and eating, and some "old building and art" for the parents. Though honestly, I think the 15 yo's will appreciate at least some of the art and history. They've had enough world history to start inserting the experiences they have into what they've learned in school.

What a great question! Please let me know if you get any useful answers. We will be in St. Petersburg one week after you. My kids are 14 and 16. We booked a "private tour" with SPB (group of six), which we basically get to design ourselves. The cost of the private tour was nearly the same as a "group" tour when you factor in six of us. Currently our plan includes all of the "must sees" along with an emphasis on KGB / Cold War era stuff the kids have heard about in school. The nice part about the private tour, is we can modify, or shorten visits, once the group starts to tire of museums and churches...we recognize there is a lot of culture to see, but I also know the reality of needing to keep a good balance while traveling. We were hoping to find some sort of hockey game / exhibition / museum or anything but have struck out so far (I see you are from Duluth, so you may be looking for similar...please let me know if you find anything, my kids are hockey players). I was also hoping for a tank driving course or something like that, but am not having much luck. If I come up with anything, I will let you know. Have you found anything else family / teenager exciting in other ports? Good luck.

Your children might enjoy taking a hydrofoil to Peterhof and running through the fountains.

YES, agree on the above mentions for the Peterhof and the surprise fountains there. PLUS, taking the hydrofoil from there to the main part of town. Below are some of my "photo evidence" for the fun that is potential with these two options.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 177,779 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others who enjoy such fun at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

From the hydrofoil coming from the Peterhof, here was our view of the Hermitage exterior and this water feature in the main, harbor area.:

1A-StP-Hermt-Ex2.jpg

• 9 months later...
I think now that a big mistake we made when we toured St Petersburg is not taking the midnight Neva River cruise to see bridges being raised. Even if it implies going to bed at 3a.m., it’s something that you can only do in St.Petersburg.

Gosh I wonder if someone else would chime in on this. I am travelling this June to St. Petersburg for 3 days with a 13, 16 and 20 yo. I'm just afraid if we stay up that late, my kids will be too tired the next day. Hey I need my sleep, too.

So is it a not miss and worth dragging the next day?

• 2 weeks later...
The OP's kids are 15 and 18. Less likely to probably want to run thru fountains and paint dolls. ;)

Do take a look at the photographs of the crowds interacting with the smaller fountains. You'll spot plenty of teens and adults trying to dodge the fountains which is a bit different from running through as a young child might do. Look up-thread to post #14. There's a snapshot of the people dealing with the Surprise Fountain. I don't see a single young child interacting with the water. Everyone -- whether enjoying or fleeing or coping -- with the spray is at least a teen.

There are several other fountains which, like this one, originate from the ground with no catch basin and can drench unprepared or unwary visitors.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy