NCL Jewel or Princess Crown

lbfluffy

I am going to pose this on NCL as well. We are looking the end of this November to the Mexican Riviera. The difference is price is about $200, Princess being the least expensive, however NCL offers the inclusive beverage plan. For anyone that has been on these two ships can you give me your thoughts please. Thanks.

I was hoping to get some answers. I have been reading reviews for both. I am booked on the Crown, but I have friends that are more than likely going to join us and they are very laid back. I am not sure if they will want to go on Princess. They were with us on the Star and they loved it.

I have been on both ships and enjoyed them both, for somewhat different reasons. But I really wouldn't worry about Princess if your friends are laid back. It's true that Princess has an evening dress code and NCL doesn't, but formal nights aren't nearly as dressy as they used to be, and you can avoid these altogether by eating in the buffet. Princess has themed dinner buffets that make a good dinner alternative, and offer anytime dining in the main dining rooms so you aren't tied down to a set time and table and tablemates. Not sure what you think your friends would object to, but Princess isn't nearly as fancy in ambiance as some of the other lines like Celebrity.

It depends what you are looking for. Haven't been on those 2 ships, but on their sister ships. Have been on N.Pearl & N.Dawn and Caribbean & Ruby Princess. I think if your friends are very laid back, I will give Princess a shot. In the end it's always good to try something different before you stuck to 1 particular cruise line. Variety is the spice of life.

Now THAT is a dilemma. Have been on both and would go on either. Hmmmmmm, what would I do. Hmmm. I think I'd give a slight edge to Princess in this case. Even though I can't really say why! Can the ports help decide? type of cabin? I am a fan of the Jewel and I love its sister, the GEM, but I think Crown Princess is a very elegant ship.

Edited by mizlorinj

I am going to pose this on NCL as well. We are looking the end of this November to the Mexican Riviera. The difference is price is about $200, Princess being the least expensive, however NCL offers the inclusive beverage plan. For anyone that has been on these two ships can you give me your thoughts please. Thanks.

Of course I am somewhat biased as I love NCL and am not a huge fan of Princess. So take what I say seriously but remember it is slanted a little. I will add, before giving my opinion, princess cruisers are the most loyal of all and the most defensive, so I know what they will have to say, as well.

We didn't do the Crown but did do the Golden, i think it was. It was about 7 years ago. The ship was nice, no problems and the positive about the cabins on the Golden (same class as the Crown I think) was the large dressing area with a great closet area. However it is also the negative. It leave almost no room to move in the cabin itself.

The food was great, though the last 2 times we have sailed Princess the qualtiy has gone was down, more so than other lines in my opinion. Thus I would say NCL is a better bet, especially when it comes to the buffet. I also prefer the way NCL does open dining. Princess uses, mostly large tables and it gets a little boring, telling 6 people everynight where you are from, how long you have been cruising, etc. Some of this is fun, after awhile it becomes nothing but boring small talk.

The entertainment, for sure NCL outdoes Princess a hundred times over.

To me, the biggest plus for Princess over NCL is the ships themselves. Otherwise, I would say, the crew, the entertainment and the passengers themselves on NCL are better and more fun. Of course you are looking at a $200 savings if you choose Princess. BTW, I don't think Princess is a bad line; my heavens they have been around forever. I am not crazy over the formal night anymore, but many like it. They say you do not have to dress up, but the last time we did Princess we felt very out of place, not being dressed in after 5 attire. We ended up just heading back to our cabin early that night. Also, Princess is just more formal and more subdude. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. If you are already booked and you think your friends will be ok with more formality, go and enjoy.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Of course I am somewhat biased as I love NCL and am not a huge fan of Princess. So take what I say seriously but remember it is slanted a little. I will add, before giving my opinion, princess cruisers are the most loyal of all and the most defensive, so I know what they will have to say, as well.

We didn't do the Crown but did do the Golden, i think it was. It was about 7 years ago. The ship was nice, no problems and the positive about the cabins on the Golden (same class as the Crown I think) was the large dressing area with a great closet area. However it is also the negative. It leave almost no room to move in the cabin itself.

The food was great, though the last 2 times we have sailed Princess the qualtiy has gone was down, more so than other lines in my opinion. Thus I would say NCL is a better bet, especially when it comes to the buffet. I also prefer the way NCL does open dining. Princess uses, mostly large tables and it gets a little boring, telling 6 people everynight where you are from, how long you have been cruising, etc. Some of this is fun, after awhile it becomes nothing but boring small talk.

The entertainment, for sure NCL outdoes Princess a hundred times over.

To me, the biggest plus for Princess over NCL is the ships themselves. Otherwise, I would say, the crew, the entertainment and the passengers themselves on NCL are better and more fun. Of course you are looking at a $200 savings if you choose Princess. BTW, I don't think Princess is a bad line; my heavens they have been around forever. I am not crazy over the formal night anymore, but many like it. They say you do not have to dress up, but the last time we did Princess we felt very out of place, not being dressed in after 5 attire. We ended up just heading back to our cabin early that night. Also, Princess is just more formal and more subdude. There is certainly nothing wrong with that. If you are already booked and you think your friends will be ok with more formality, go and enjoy.

Thank you for your feedback. Our last cruise was on the NCL Star, first cruise with the friends that are coming with us. They liked the Star, but I felt the ship was in need of TLC and I was too fond of the food. I thought the entertainment was pretty good, but we did not like the amount of time it took to get served at dinner. We were in a smaller dining room and it was very crowded.

I have been on neither line... I am however booked on Jewel for end of Nov.

When I was looking for what cruiseline to book with (had already decided on Mex Riv) the difference in pricing was only about $15-$20 between the 3 lines going down there. I ultimately booked with NCL due to the beverage package being included.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider your typical bar bill on a cruise. You may end up saving more money over all by going with NCL if it is a $200 price difference for the cost of the cruise.

I have been on neither line... I am however booked on Jewel for end of Nov.

When I was looking for what cruiseline to book with (had already decided on Mex Riv) the difference in pricing was only about $15-$20 between the 3 lines going down there. I ultimately booked with NCL due to the beverage package being included.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider your typical bar bill on a cruise. You may end up saving more money over all by going with NCL if it is a $200 price difference for the cost of the cruise.

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure how much drinking I will do on the cruise. I do like an occasional frozen cocktail and maybe a mimosa. I was trying to make a decision before the end of July, but we went out of town, so I did not get a chance to consult with the other people in my party. However I do notice the drink package is still being offered.

I will check it out again.