The Destiny

khewston

Our first cruise was on the Carnival Destiny when she was brand new. We thought the ship was beautiful and had a great time.

While on the Conquest a few months ago, we went to the future cruise desk to see about booking another cruise. The man working at the desk told us that, the Destiny, was the worst ship Carnival ever had. He said her reputation was so bad and it was the reason they entirely redid the ship. I was surprised to hear this since my husband and I really enjoyed the cruise. I wonder if he was correct in why they changed her.

Well, anyway we are booked on her for early next year. :D

What was so bad about her?

Well I wasn't on her as the Destiny but enjoyed the Victory even though she is older. And changing her sister to Sunshine made my favorite ship so far in the Carnival fleet - even above a newer and larger ship, Magic.

Some people don't like her but the majority do, have a wonderful vacation and enjoy all the amazing venues she has for food and drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Destiny and Victory were not sister ships. The Triumph is the sister ship to the Victory. The Destiny was in a class all her own.

We will be on the Magic in a few weeks and I'm excited to try that class. Glad you had a good cruise!

The Destiny and Victory were not sister ships. The Triumph is the sister ship to the Victory. The Destiny was in a class all her own.

We will be on the Magic in a few weeks and I'm excited to try that class. Glad you had a good cruise!

Hmmm. I don't recollect back that far so I will defer to you. Might want to correct the other poster on the Sunshine thread who it seemed to me suggested that Triumph Destiny and Victory were all sister ships and when Destiny became Sunshine the other two became Triumph class.

The Destiny was the first of the large cruise ships with a significantly higher balcony to OV/IS ratio. It was very unique and innovative and led the way for the design all subsequent Carnival ships (indeed, all other cruise lines' ships). Being the first of it's kind it would likely have issues which, over time and countless "updates", would render it somewhat of a frankenstein monster. The rebuild and refurbishment to the Sunshine was to correct a lot of those issues.

Hmmm. I don't recollect back that far so I will defer to you. Might want to correct the other poster on the Sunshine thread who it seemed to me suggested that Triumph Destiny and Victory were all sister ships and when Destiny became Sunshine the other two became Triumph class.

According to Carnival, the Destiny was indeed a sister ship to Triumph and Victory with all three being "Destiny" class. Like you, I do not remember it that way but CCL owns the ship and I guess they can write the history including the redesignation of Triumph and Victory to Triumph class following the redesign of Destiny to Sunshine.

https://carnival-news.com/2014/01/17/37-years-of-fun-a-history-of-carnival-cruise-lines-2/

Edited by joepeka

The Destiny was also my first cruise. We were married aboard her in 1998. We had a beautiful reception in the Downbeat Lounge with 20 friends and family. We had our wedding pictures taken all over the ship and on deck, and all we had to do is go back to our cabin, change clothes & were instantly on our honeymoon :) Maybe it's just for sentimental reasons, but we loved that ship.

December of 2013 we took a family cruise on the Sunshine. I'm sure that some changes were needed (although, truly, we had no complaints about the Destiny), but I'm really not a fan of the Sunshine's layout. Seemed very disjointed. Didn't affect our cruise at all - just my observation.

We'd like to go back on the ship and get our old Destiny cabin next year for our 20th anniversary. We're big sentimental saps :) Happy sailing, all!

This is what I found online

Triumph Class

Triumph class ships have a gross tonnage of 101,509 and a length of 893 feet. They cruise along at 21 knots and have accommodations for 2,758 passengers, with an average of two guests per room.

Destiny Class

Carnival Cruise Lines has just one ship in the Destiny class, the Carnival Destiny. This ship is just slightly smaller than the Triumph class. The Carnival Destiny weighs 101,353 gross tons, is 892 feet long, cruises along at 21 knots per hour and can accommodate 2,642 passengers in shared guestrooms.

Triumph was the pooper ship. Destiny had problems at an earlier date and was rebirthed as Sunshine. In reality Triumph had the worse reputation on the sea and should have became Sunshine ,she somehow escaped her Destiny .

Both answers to Triumph and Victory being Destiny class are correct.

We sailed the Victory when she was brand spanking new and they were calling it the third Destiny class ship back then.

A few years later, after the Spirit and Conquest classes started joining the fleet, they broke the Destiny in to its own class on their website.

Really wasn't much difference between the 3 back then, just an extra half deck of cabins up at the bow with the gym&spa moving up a deck. I think they may have eliminated some cabins under the disco as well.

The Conquest class really is just a stretch version of the Destiny class, more cabins and a specialty restaurant put in the extra 100 feet in the middle.

My second cruise was on the Destiny (my first on the Celebration). Went from an inside stateroom on a small ship to a balcony room on what was at the time the largest ship Carnival had. Loved both cruises (although I've never looked back from a balcony). I honestly don't remember a single bad thing about the Destiny.

Triumph was the pooper ship. Destiny had problems at an earlier date and was rebirthed as Sunshine. In reality Triumph had the worse reputation on the sea and should have became Sunshine ,she somehow escaped her Destiny .

Triumph was a great ship in 2008, IMHO. Nice size, food was fine, entertainment was even better, crew were the best ever. She's the vessel that got me hooked on cruising.

Destiny was the original of the class, followed by Triumph and Victory, but both of those ships were made bigger (longer, etc) than Destiny. Because of that, Carnival broke them out into a different category, the Triumph class.

And to me, the "slightly smaller" aspect of Destiny made a very big difference. It was just too short. After about an hour of exploring I started feeling a little cheated. (LOL).

Rumor has it they planned to "Sunshine" the Triumph and Victory as well, but the reception to Sunshine was so bad they scrapped those plans.

Rumor has it they planned to "Sunshine" the Triumph and Victory as well, but the reception to Sunshine was so bad they scrapped those plans.

I personally make it a rule not to sail on a ship more than ten years old. This is partly because of Destiny at about age 16 (2012). We had an aft balcony, and I spent too much of my cruise time thinking way too much about all the thick scaly rust I could see looking down the back of the ship.

Destiny was reworked as Sunshine not all that long ago, but it's still a 21-year-old seagoing vessel. Triumph had a major crippling fire about 14 years after launch -- and I sure hope CCL learned a lot from that -- but the point is, the more age a ship has, the more the odds increase for major problems.

But that's just me. To each his or her own.

Triumph was a great ship in 2008, IMHO. Nice size, food was fine, entertainment was even better, crew were the best ever. She's the vessel that got me hooked on cruising.

Destiny was the original of the class, followed by Triumph and Victory, but both of those ships were made bigger (longer, etc) than Destiny. Because of that, Carnival broke them out into a different category, the Triumph class.

And to me, the "slightly smaller" aspect of Destiny made a very big difference. It was just too short. After about an hour of exploring I started feeling a little cheated. (LOL).

Triumph and Destiny/Shine are the same length. Only one more deck on Triumph and Victory.

More than a rumor, Sunrise and Sundance were planned and never came to be.

Triumph and Destiny/Shine are the same length. Only one more deck on Triumph and Victory.

They are now, but in late 2012-2013 Carnival spent over $150 to completely revamp Destiny ("the most major refit Carnival has ever attempted") and morph it into what Sunshine is now.

We did a NYE cruise and loved the ship. DS and his wife did the last cruise before it was dry dock and became the Sunshine. They enjoyed the ship but he said you could tell the ship was being prepared for dry dock. Regular maintenance had trailed off.

They are now, but in late 2012-2013 Carnival spent over $150 to completely revamp Destiny ("the most major refit Carnival has ever attempted") and morph it into what Sunshine is now.

Dude, the ship is still the same length and same tonnage...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Sunshine

It's still the same length as the Triumph with one less deck. I corrected you when you said that they lengthened the Destiny when they made it the Sunshine because that's simply not true. I've never been on the ship to say for sure, but I don't see how anyone on the ship could feel "less cheated" vs the victory or the triumph after the refit when the biggest parts of the refurb were to hack the show room by a deck to add more cabins and add Bulky water slides on the top decks. The ship may provide a better experience for many after the refit, but there's no way it can be "roomier".

The Destiny was our first ship as well and we went on it when it was older in 2010. We loved it but again it was also our first cruise ever.

We first saw the Destiny when we were on what used to be the NCL crown, over 20 years ago. We were docked next to her in Coz and she dwarfed our ship, and had all those balconies and the cool blue water slide. We decided then that would be our next cruise. As luck would have it, first the Triumph and then the Victory came to NYC when we were living in PA, and a couple kids later, Victory was our next cruise. It was only a five day to Canada, but the CD and shows and meals were so good we were hooked.