Buying bottled wine with Drink Package?

IsanTom

I have not cruised on Princess for about 15 years. I normally buy the drink package and Princess offers a 40% discount for bottled wine. My wife drinks a little, so the drink package is not a good buy for her. If I buy a bottle of wine in the dining room for her with my 40% discount is that okay? She likes a sweeter wine than me, so I'll order a drier wine with my package. What do you think? Any problems?

I have not cruised on Princess for about 15 years. I normally buy the drink package and Princess offers a 40% discount for bottled wine. My wife drinks a little, so the drink package is not a good buy for her. If I buy a bottle of wine in the dining room for her with my 40% discount is that okay? She likes a sweeter wine than me, so I'll order a drier wine with my package. What do you think? Any problems?

Bottles of wine can be shared with whomever you like. So yes, if you buy a bottle, your wife can drink from it all she likes...

Keep in mind, on Princess, you can bring onboard as many bottles of wine as you like, unlike Royal, which limits it to two. On Princess, two bottles per stateroom are "free", any other bottles are charged a $15 dollar corkage fee at embarkation - you can bring these to dining room, enjoy in cabin, take to lounge, etc. That may be a good option also, if your wife enjoys particular wines...

Happy sails.

Edited by reedprincess

As others stated if you have an all inclusive package, you can buy a bottle of wine for 40% off and share it with anyone you choose. Also you can bring aboard one bottle per adult 21 and over free. Anymore bottles and you will be charged a $15 corking fee. All bottles that have paid the corking fee can be consume anywhere (MDR, HC, etc) while the free bottle has to be consumed in your cabin. All wine bottles must be 750 ml and must be carried onto the ship and not put into checked luggage. It is great that Princess allows us to bring on more than 2 bottles for the two of us.

Bottles of wine can be shared with whomever you like. So yes, if you buy a bottle, your wife can drink from it all she likes...

Keep in mind, on Princess, you can bring onboard as many bottles of wine as you like, unlike Royal, which limits it to two. On Princess, two bottles per stateroom are "free", any other bottles are charged a $15 dollar corkage fee at embarkation - you can bring these to dining room, enjoy in cabin, take to lounge, etc. That may be a good option also, if your wife enjoys particular wines...

Happy sails.

Thanks for the info! One other question, when do you pay the corkage fee?

Going through security or do they just bill your room?

Thanks for the info! One other question, when do you pay the corkage fee?

Going through security or do they just bill your room?

The table is just after check-in usually. So I assume they can bill your room as you'll have your seapass card already. Having not brought wine onboard ourselves, I am unsure of how payment is made - I just know you can bring all you want at $15 a bottle after the first two...

Our standard procedure has always been to purchase a wine package the first day and then for pre dinner drinks in a lounge or bar request a bottle from the package for my wife to have a glass while I order a beer. We then take the remaining wine into the restaurant to finish with dinner. This has always worked fine in the several cruise lines we have sailed with. It has been a long time since we cruised with Princess and reading some of the postings seems to indicate that our preferred procedure may not be possible. Would appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks in advance.

Our standard procedure has always been to purchase a wine package the first day and then for pre dinner drinks in a lounge or bar request a bottle from the package for my wife to have a glass while I order a beer. We then take the remaining wine into the restaurant to finish with dinner. This has always worked fine in the several cruise lines we have sailed with. It has been a long time since we cruised with Princess and reading some of the postings seems to indicate that our preferred procedure may not be possible. Would appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks in advance.

According to the Princess website description of the All-Inclusive Beverage Package, "Bottles of wine are NOT included in the package; however, when purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants, will be available at 40% discount from the menu price. Applicable to all bottles below $100 retail."

So you should be able to do what you said. However, you may want to order wine by the glass for you (included at no charge) and leave the entire bottle for your wife. If you don't finish it, you can either take it with you or leave it in the dining room for the next day.

Wine packages are still available on Princess but only on longer cruises. I think it's either 5 or 10 bottles at set price, you pick from the list for that price/bottle amount point..and it affords a slight discount over buying the bottles separately. However, they are not available on cruises 7 or less nights...

Otherwise, you could either bring on your own wine as described in posts above - problem solved and lots of money saved, or purchase bottles as you go or do as the OP is considering, wirh one buying rhe beverage package, and then using the wine bottle discount to purchase bottles to share/for the orher to enjoy...

Happy sails..