How to get good deal on Avalon

trouttigger

I'm hoping to take a river cruise on Avalon in Europe in either 2016 or 2017. What do I need to know or do to get the best price?
I have not sailed Avalon, but have experience with six river cruises lines and will address river cruise pricing in general. In my experience most river cruises hold a steady price much more than ocean cruises or airlines. A number of river cruises do offer a small discount to first time users IF they have a referral from a previous customer. The only time I expect to see discounts from the list price (or half of the fictitious list price in the case of some lines who ALWAYS sell at 2/1) is last minute pricing (which of course will not appear if they sell out). If bookings are slow some companies will offer discounts on air to get you there (they aren't getting a discount from the airline - this is just a disguised way to discount the price of the cruise without having to advertise a lower price on the cruise itself). A Travel Agent MAY offer some incentive if you book through them.

Thom

I've sailed Avalon. They have early booking discounts. Plus sign up for their emails they're always sending me emails. If you've ever taken any Globus brand tour of any kind you get a loyalty discounts. On top of that many travel agencies will give you additional cash incentives.

I booked my upcoming November Avalon cruise in July, on an end of season cruise at a considerable discount. There are a few online travel agents that seem to have access to better discount codes. As my long term TA couldn't initially match a price I found. I was able to book a 200 sq foot category A cabin at about $1000 a person less than a similar cruise that wasn't last minute. River cruises are still expensive. Our first river cruise I booked 18 months in advance and it was sold out more than a year in advance. I think non sold out cruises are much more rare than ocean cruises. So, there is not much oppurtunity to get a real deal.

jc

We booked our cruise in April 15 for a July 2016 date. I wanted a Royal Suite on a specific sailing so I didn't wait. I got a discount when I booked for some sale they were having. The risk of waiting for a sale is there are only so many cabins and the more popular cruises are going to fill up faster. Mine appears not to be one of the more popular routes so there are still lots of staterooms avail.

We just returned from a River cruise on the Avalon Creativity. There was a deal a real last minute deal for a few dates in September. It was a REAL 2 for 1. We booked a French balcony and the cost with air was under $6000 for two..This was our fourth River Cruise. One with AMA two with Uniworld. Love Uniworld but it has gotten very pricey. Very happy with Avalon and we would do it again. We booked the end of July for September... The ship wasn't filled just 112 passengers. perfect.

Edited by amd1234

I have been using a large online booking agent for my Avalon river cruises.

They also are a booking agent for many other tour companies.

I cannot name them, but if you google " river cruise discounts" or something similar you will find them.

For example, when I book through them, I get the advertised Avalon promotion discount, then their 8% (booking agent discount). Since I am return customer, I get an additional small amount off the trip I am booking with them.

Since we are Journey club members through Globus, we get the 5% Journeys club discount brcause Avalon is part of the Globus family.

There have been trips where we have also gotten gratuities paid for because we are return Avalon travelers.

This booking agent that I use is a preferred agent for Avalon river cruises. For example, I know that Avalon sent one of their Cruise Directors to this "Discount booking company" to do a power point presentation for about their new Mekong ship and travel offerings.

We have been on 5 Avalon journeys and the last 4 have been booked through this company.

Edited by Shebely

We, as well, always use the same TA. We get discounts (substantial) above and beyond the listed prices, as well as amenities, sometimes free gratuities. On our most recent Avalon cruise, there was a sale a few months prior to our leaving. There were 6 of us (3 cabins). Even though the sale was "new bookings only" she got us all the sale price (saving over $1,000), and we kept the same cabins. She had warned us that we may need to switch cabins, which we were OK with, but she managed to keep it all intact (with new booking numbers). So go with a TA if you want the best prices.