Taking wine to restaurants on Oceania

peterfox8

It's a different matter if you bring in your not-finished drink from a bar to a restaurant.

When you are ready to go to dinner, alert your server-

They will transfer any unfinished cocktails to a tray, and serve them properly to your table in the restaurant-

113858.jpg Makes for some interesting elevator conversation. :p

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, Josie,

Thank you for the information. Everyone has been most helpful. I didn't realize that you could take glasses of wine among venues. My inclination is simply to pay the corkage fee and let the restaurant store the open bottle. A wine package is not part of our arrangement.

I hope to meet you on the cruise. Lynda and I will be in cabin 7091.

Peter Fox

Peter you can take any drink, alcoholic or non alcoholic, from bar to dining room to cabin to deck..................well anywhere onboard.

Wouldn't dream of "sneaking" it on. Just find it astonishing that it is so widespread there are special products for sale to do so! Weird that people will spend a couple of thousand pounds (or dollars) on a cruise then won't pay the proper prices for drinks. We are not high earners but I have never felt that cruise drink prices were THAT bad. However, I do want to work out which is the most economic option for me (as my other half doesn't drink alcohol). Have read lots of useful advice telling me just to buy drinks for the first couple of days before deciding whether the premium package is worth it. The house package wouldn't be any use as my (very light) drinking would hopefully include a drink before dinner and a liquor or liquor coffee after but a max of two glasses of wine during.

From 5-6pm and 10.30-11.30pm I here is a 'happy hour' 241 drinks but the drinks have to be the same and from a special menu. Wine is included so you could have one wine before dinner then take th second into the MDR with you. I can highly recommend the champagne cocktail, mmmmmm

I just want to be sure that newbies understand that it's one thing to take your drink from a bar to a restaurant or other location on the ship and entirely another to take it from your cabin to a bar or restaurant!

From what I've seen here I think that is clear, but I thought a reiteration might be apropos.

In a prior incarnation of the wine sale I did take advantage of it ... I don't in the current incarnation since I don't want 7 bottles. (Maybe I would if I were on a Grand Voyage ...) When I did it, I could choose 3-4 bottles which worked out fine. They were generally wines that were running low on board, but were quite good as were the prices. (No, I'm not an expert as to what constitutes a "fine" wine, but I do prefer dry hearty reds!)

Mura

• 6 months later...

Just to clarify, if you prefer wine by the glass, you can bring your own bottle and they will store it for you until you want it again-in any bar or restaurant on the ship. You don't pay the $25 again. Also you don't pay tax or gratuity on the $25 so even a moderately priced bottle of wine that you really like is worth bringing onboard.

Mary

Do the wine "bazaars" still happen? We did enjoy them on previous transatlantics. We carry on our favorite wines (gladly pay the corkage fee) but always seem to enjoy looking and buying at the bazaar wine.

Were on TA in April on Marina, no wine bazaar. O seems to have transitioned to a program where you can buy 7 bottles (this is the link to O's info) at a set price from a varied list of things *not* on the wine list. This is an easy way to drink by the bottle without having to bring that bottle with you, and at a lower per bottle price point than the list overall (even if it's not a super duper deal at $47.50 per bottle including gratuity).

Thank you babysteps. I can see DH having a great time mulling over the wine package, it's like a hobby for him.

I hope you had a great crossing!

We had a great crossing :)

Usually there are one or two tables set up on embarkation day with handouts of the wine-by-bottle-package choices so you can see what's on offer.

Also if you ask one of the som's they will be able to tell you what wine tastings are planned (and when) - there were a total of 5 iirc on our trip which was 21 days with 10 sea days. There were also various spirits tastings available.

Cheers!