Taking wine to restaurants on Oceania

peterfox8

While in Copenhagen a great place to enjoy that Hven Gin and Tonic is a bar called Curfew. Finely crafted cocktails is all they do and believe me you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the recommendation. Does Curfew use the same 1:1 ratio we encountered at Amass?

Historical fact is that Gin was used in India by the colonials to mix quinine in to make a "tonic" It was referred to as a Gin tonic as far back as Kippling

How it morphed to Gin and Tonic is anyone's guess but to be true and correct to the origin you should consider the origin

I agree with Josie. I find your suggestion that people in Manchester may be less ethical than those in the United States to be offensive. I am an American who has lived in Britain and don't find any empirical or experiential support for your suggestion. This all started with my asking about the practice of bringing bottles of wine on board and into the restaurant (openly) and have found the earlier comments very helpful. My post had nothing to do about gin, the subject that the thread seems to have morphed into.

The Hven gin sounds intriguing but I don't adulterate my alcohol with tonic ... how is it when you take it on the rocks??

My only experience with Hven was in a gin and tonic. Until you arrive some place in Europe where you can get Hven, I enthusiastically recommend Blue Coat. That I can endorse on the basis of personal experience drinking it on the rocks.

I agree with Josie. I find your suggestion that people in Manchester may be less ethical than those in the United States to be offensive. I am an American who has lived in Britain and don't find any empirical or experiential support for your suggestion. This all started with my asking about the practice of bringing bottles of wine on board and into the restaurant (openly) and have found the earlier comments very helpful. My post had nothing to do about gin, the subject that the thread seems to have morphed into.

Hey I have relatives in Manchester....and the inference was an esoteric "it that conforms to your personal values that you... not they,.... are in tune with sorry if your assumption was of anything other than your personal values .

The entire post was on Ben 's coy question and was written in the third person format that sounded pretty much like " hey, how about this...can I get away with it"

Saying..".I have heard." or "someone said "' is a common way of seeing how far one can go, without saying it is you.... Not so much seeking truth, but rather seeing what support one would have in being outside the rules stretching the limits of tolerance.

My disappointment in the whole question By Ben,

was how it was asked...almost rhetorical. And it was a challenge, like a child to a parent....seeing just how far they could be pushed.

My reaction was based on the s fact that an obvious loop-hole might exist and if I can save 20 P can I get away with it. That is why I was not angered, but saddened that it had to be asked and why...... Some things we as adults need to reject as improper just on the pure merit of logic....

I disagree with Dan often, but this time I believe he is entirely correct! Oceania has a great policy of allowing its adult cruisers to act as adults and bring alcohol aboard. This includes wine, which can be consumed, with a meal, by paying a typical restaurant corkage fee. The absolute last thing I think most of us want is for Oceania to rethink this policy because some smucks decide they want to end run the system and sneak drinks (wine) into the restaurants. Totally classless and cheap!

I further agree with Dan that reading thread, I believed the threader was asking it as a personal question as in "What if he..."

We can't escape these cruisers unfortunately. They're like the ones that line up for the MDR or Specialties wearing blue jeans and want to argue and make a scene claiming their blue jeans are special and "country club" casual! :rolleyes:

Oceania prohibits "casual" jeans only correct? I'm not looking for

opinion, just the dress code. Thanks

Here it is again..directly from the O website:

Clothing

Recommended onboard clothing is resort or country club casual. For evening dining, elegant casual resort wear is suggested. We request that casual jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes not be worn at dinner.

Causal Junky;

The only correct answer to your question allowing jeans in the MDR and Specialties is: They are allowed If the maître de allows them! It is up their opinion as to what constitutes "casual" or dress, not the cruiser's!!! The restaurants regularly turn people away for wearing jeans they fill are casual regardless of the cruisers opinion of such.

My point is that in the same manner as trying to sneak private drinks into the restaurant is classless, it is equally so listening to some yahoo arguing with the restaurant maître de over whether their ann klein comfy fit baggy jeans (or whatever) are casual or dressy and demanding to see a manager to correct the issue! Display some class and STFU and go change your pants!! Their costs are not a determining factor.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone able to tell me whether the corkage charge is payable if you have purchase the premium beverage package?

If we fancied bringing on board a local wine for drinking in the restaurant as a change from the wines by the glass would we still be expected to pay corkage?

Thanks in anticipation.

Is anyone able to tell me whether the corkage charge is payable if you have purchase the premium beverage package?

If we fancied bringing on board a local wine for drinking in the restaurant as a change from the wines by the glass would we still be expected to pay corkage?

Thanks in anticipation.

Yes, there would be a corkage fee for bringing the bottle to a restaurant.

No fee on Oceania if you drink in your cabin, however.

It has nothing to do with the beverage package.

Yes, there would be a corkage fee for bringing the bottle to a restaurant.

No fee on Oceania if you drink in your cabin, however.

It has nothing to do with the beverage package.

I do believe that you get a discount on wines by the bottle on board if you have the beverage package, which doesn't answer your question, but you could get something different than the wines by the glass and not have to pay a corkage fee.

I do believe that you get a discount on wines by the bottle on board if you have the beverage package, which doesn't answer your question, but you could get something different than the wines by the glass and not have to pay a corkage fee.

That is the first I've heard of that discount. There have been previous discussions about a discount on the La Reserve dinner cost if you have the premium beverage package- about 20% if I remember correctly. But no mention of a discount for the wine by the bottle served in the various restaurants.

That is the first I've heard of that discount. There have been previous discussions about a discount on the La Reserve dinner cost if you have the premium beverage package- about 20% if I remember correctly. But no mention of a discount for the wine by the bottle served in the various restaurants.

Maybe I'm thinking of Celebrity.

No discount on bottles.... but there will be "wine sales" where you can buy a package at a discount. However, that is totally un related or connected to any beverage package..

• 3 months later...

I have just googled "rum runner" (as a Brit I didn't have a clue what that was) and I have just discovered whole websites about how to sneak alcohol on board cruise ships! I had no idea this was such an issue. I have learned so much in such a short time. ;)

I have just googled "rum runner" (as a Brit I didn't have a clue what that was) and I have just discovered whole websites about how to sneak alcohol on board cruise ships! I had no idea this was such an issue. I have learned so much in such a short time. ;)

-

Yes, almost all mass mkt lines do not allow you to bring liquor of any kind onboard (sigh, or even bottles of water or sodas now), unlike O, that treats you as responsible adults, and allows you to bring on both wine and hard liquor(s) of your choice onboard(to consume in your cabin or pay corkage in restaurant for wine). How nice it is, to be treated in this manner!

Edited by Cruseforme

There is no need to sneak wine or spirits on Oceania just put a bottle (for use in your cabin) in your carry on

If you take a bottle of wine & want to drink it at dinner just pay the corkage fee otherwise just drink it in your cabin at no extra charge ;)

Edited by LHT28

Wouldn't dream of "sneaking" it on. Just find it astonishing that it is so widespread there are special products for sale to do so! Weird that people will spend a couple of thousand pounds (or dollars) on a cruise then won't pay the proper prices for drinks. We are not high earners but I have never felt that cruise drink prices were THAT bad. However, I do want to work out which is the most economic option for me (as my other half doesn't drink alcohol). Have read lots of useful advice telling me just to buy drinks for the first couple of days before deciding whether the premium package is worth it. The house package wouldn't be any use as my (very light) drinking would hopefully include a drink before dinner and a liquor or liquor coffee after but a max of two glasses of wine during.

• 2 months later...
Since this is technically against the rules, I wouldn't advise doing so. If you don't want to finish the bottle, the ship will hold it for you and deliver it at the next meal to whichever restaurant you are in. OR if you want to finish it off in your room, just bring it back with you.

Either approach is far preferable to pretending you bought the glass in one of the bars.

Mura

I absolutely plan not to bring wine from my room to drink in public places. I am curious, to know, how the staff knows it is from your room and not purchased in a public place.

I absolutely plan not to bring wine from my room to drink in public places. I am curious, to know, how the staff knows it is from your room and not purchased in a public place.

The glasses are different. My last butler told me

Also a full glass of wine is a dead giveaway

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by bitob