HAL vs NCL (No contest)

doublebzz

I almost hate to ask this question. I mean no disrespect. I have been on 2 NCL cruises and on Carnival a few times. I am so tired of the Caribbean and have been to Alaska and Hawaii on cruises. I like cruises at least 10+ days and it appears that HAL has some interesting itineraries. My DH and I are in our early sixties, so not so young any more. Okay....here's my question....will we be bored?? I have read some HAL reviews and the lack of activities, particularly after 10 pm seem to come up quite often. We are not heavy drinkers or party people, but I do enjoy a lively atmosphere. I enjoy a cruise where people are having a good time and enjoying themselves.

Finding a quiet place to read a book and watch the ocean is fine, but I don't want to spend all day in serenity.

I do hope I haven't stepped on any toes....it's certainly not my goal.

Okay....here's my question....will we be bored?? I have read some HAL reviews and the lack of activities, particularly after 10 pm seem to come up quite often.

If you have an interesting, port intensive, itinerary like our most recent cruise, you will not be bored. Think of it this way: You are up early and are touring all day, have a late dinner and maybe an after-dinner drink in the piano bar and you glance at your watch and its 11 pm. Next morning, you are up early again for another day of touring and so on. The point is after 10 pm activities become less important until if and when you have back-to-back sea days.

I recently completed an 18 day cruise on Norwegian Star. Although I'm a veteran of 50+ cruises, it had been over 10 years since my last cruise on NCL. Although the previous cruises on NCL were not memorable, the recent cruise had an ideal itinerary so we decided to give it a second chance. The cruise was great from an itinerary standpoint but my overall impression of NCL remains negative for the following reasons. Firstly, the ship was a floating "informercial" bombarding us with announcements regarding art sales, lotteries, bingo games, etc. throughout the day. Secondly, the interior of the ship was poorly laid out and as luxurious as the Staten Island ferry. Besides the low quality furnishings, the public rooms and dining rooms were generally furnished with 4 chairs set around a table providing no opportunity for larger parties to convene together. "Nickle-Diming" was far more extensive than other lines and costs of drinks was excessive in my view - $12+ for martinis; $5 for a liter of water to name a few. One of our traveling partners had mobility issues and the ship was totally indifferent to his handicap especially during each port's embarkation and debarkation process. Finally, there was absolutely no recognition of one's loyalty status.

In fairness, not everything was negative. The staff was very accommodating and professional, except for the aforementioned handicap issue, the entertainment was excellent and the food quality was better than expected. So given these pluses and the great itinerary, we did come away enjoying the cruise. Nonetheless, we do feel HAL offers a much superior cruising experience.

Thanks for your feedback, especially on persons with mobility issues.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I almost hate to ask this question. I mean no disrespect. I have been on 2 NCL cruises and on Carnival a few times. I am so tired of the Caribbean and have been to Alaska and Hawaii on cruises. I like cruises at least 10+ days and it appears that HAL has some interesting itineraries. My DH and I are in our early sixties, so not so young any more. Okay....here's my question....will we be bored?? I have read some HAL reviews and the lack of activities, particularly after 10 pm seem to come up quite often. We are not heavy drinkers or party people, but I do enjoy a lively atmosphere. I enjoy a cruise where people are having a good time and enjoying themselves.

Finding a quiet place to read a book and watch the ocean is fine, but I don't want to spend all day in serenity.

You will probably be bored. Keep looking for another cruise line that is not as quiet and self-contained as HAL ships. You will find many who are content just reading and contemplating being at sea or with the levels of activity HAL presently provides.

"Bordem" is so subjective, but if you are asking you know what it means to you. For others they probably can't imagine HAL cruise itineraries are ever boring. In fact they look forward to some down time between ports. And do conk out by 10pm for the most part.

I'm confused . Are you upset because I didn't include the Welsh, Scots and the Irish ? Regardless I wrote nobody beats the English . Perhaps there are many groups that tie them . And yes some people do binge drink when on vacation ,even a cruising vacation . And yes some drink on spring break too . So ? :rolleyes:

I'm not upset at all. But I just think it's strange, and probably wrong, that you think 'no one beats the English when it comes to binge drinking' :confused:

One of my best friends lives in Chicago, so I just messaged her to ask if that's the impression people in NA have of the Brits, she said not at all. :)

I'm not upset at all. But I just think it's strange, and probably wrong, that you think 'no one beats the English when it comes to binge drinking' :confused:

One of my best friends lives in Chicago, so I just messaged her to ask if that's the impression people in NA have of the Brits, she said not at all. :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/10825449/Britains-binge-drinking-levels-are-among-the-highest-in-the-world.html

I wasn't trying to slur the English . My original point was that these party cruises aren't limited to NCL or Florida .

Sorry for going so off-topic .

We like NCL. We also like a number of other cruise lines. Having said that, neither NCL Star or Sun would be on our list of ships for a return trip. Same with several Carnival ships and the older HAL ships.

It is too easy to broad brush cruise lines. We have had some very good cruises on NCL and Carnival. They were anything but drunk fests. We have also had good cruises on Celebrity, HAL,Princess, Crystal, and RCI. And some very mediocre ones as well. We also do AI's. Never really seen any drunk fests there either.

The trick is to focus on the ship and the itinerary IMHO.

NCL and HAL are completely different products in many instances so expecting them to be similar or comparing them may not be an entirely valid practice. It might be best to select a ship or cruise line to meet your personal preferences.

Edited by iancal

Only you can decide how much entertainment you need. Where are you thinking of cruising? Check the itineraries. Many HAL cruises are port-intensive, and a sea day here and there is a time to relax and recuperate before heading out the next day. Since you're concerned about being bored, I'd say you probably aren't a candidate for a transatlantic.

I agree with doublebzz. Lots of port days keep you busy. I'm a night owl at home, but when we travel, I shift into early-bird mode. (DH is already the "lark" so he doesn't need to change his schedule) If the ports have lots to do, we're ready to crash early. (Also in our 60s)

Only you can decide how much entertainment you need. Where are you thinking of cruising? Check the itineraries. Many HAL cruises are port-intensive, and a sea day here and there is a time to relax and recuperate before heading out the next day. Since you're concerned about being bored, I'd say you probably aren't a candidate for a transatlantic.

I agree with doublebzz. Lots of port days keep you busy. I'm a night owl at home, but when we travel, I shift into early-bird mode. (DH is already the "lark" so he doesn't need to change his schedule) If the ports have lots to do, we're ready to crash early. (Also in our 60s)

Actually...I love sea days. The 5 sea days returning from Hawaii were wonderful. I prefer a cruise with a day or two between a couple of ports. The cruises I have been on from San Juan have been too port intensive. Although there have been ports that I've been to before or I have no interest and it becomes a lovely relaxing day on the ship.

I cruise for the ports and the ship experience. The ship experience is important to me, otherwise I would just do a land base vacation. I enjoy talking with fellow cruisers, however I do not want to hear a lot of moaning and wining. I hear enough of that from my dear Mother...it's her favorite pass time. :eek:

You will probably be bored. Keep looking for another cruise line that is not as quiet and self-contained as HAL ships. You will find many who are content just reading and contemplating being at sea or with the levels of activity HAL presently provides.

"Bordem" is so subjective, but if you are asking you know what it means to you. For others they probably can't imagine HAL cruise itineraries are ever boring. In fact they look forward to some down time between ports. And do conk out by 10pm for the most part.

Thank you for your honest reply. I know you have to take reviews with a grain of salt and sometimes read between the lines. I'm not looking for perfection by any means, but I do want to have an enjoyable cruise. I don't want to feel like the "sidewalks are rolled up" after the sun goes down.

Actually...I love sea days. The 5 sea days returning from Hawaii were wonderful. I prefer a cruise with a day or two between a couple of ports. The cruises I have been on from San Juan have been too port intensive. Although there have been ports that I've been to before or I have no interest and it becomes a lovely relaxing day on the ship.

I cruise for the ports and the ship experience. The ship experience is important to me, otherwise I would just do a land base vacation. I enjoy talking with fellow cruisers, however I do not want to hear a lot of moaning and wining. I hear enough of that from my dear Mother...it's her favorite pass time. :eek:

Moaning and whining is an interesting point. We don't hear a lot of that on HAL. Yes, you see some walkers and scooters, but the people using them are not sad because they can't run the length of the ship. They're upbeat and happy to be out there traveling, even with limitations. HAL gets a lot of "young" old people!!

I did meet one woman on our last cruise who complained that there were too many old people. And she had to be mid-70s if she was a day. I think she realized how odd that sounded, so she explained that she liked to see more of a mix. Perhaps seeing more younger people helped her with the illusion that she was one of them. And that's when I finally realized that I don't need illusions. I AM part of HAL's demographic. And it isn't the nursing home set. It's the people still getting out there and doing stuff. (I think I'm becoming a militant senior :eek:)

Thank you for your honest reply. I know you have to take reviews with a grain of salt and sometimes read between the lines. I'm not looking for perfection by any means, but I do want to have an enjoyable cruise. I don't want to feel like the "sidewalks are rolled up" after the sun goes down.

Actually on HAL ships, there are no sidewalks to even roll up after 10pm. There is the late show in the entertainment showroom at 10pm, but that is passive entertainment, not interactive. There are some DJ activities in the Crows Nest after the late show, but from most reports they are not well attended.

They are presently taking out the former "disco" Northern Lights which was intended to be late night dance and strobe light affair and replacing it with a quieter bar setting. There is the late night buffet, but only if one finds eating even more food is entertainment. The entertainment is the array of more international offerings at that late buffet, as is also serves as the late shift crews dining option. Even the gym closes down.

Now what HAL ships do have during the late hours are lovely quiet moments under the stars and moonlight on the seas with a special hush since everyone is snug in their cabins on some of them most comfortable beds at sea. Or maybe ordering from a very nice and included 24 hour room service.

I got up once around 3am to view our entry into the Suez Canal on a Rotterdam cruise. I was about the only person up that time night - maybe there were five of us souls wondering around the public spaces on the ship that early hour. It was a haunting feeling seeing the ship so empty, so quiet, so different from its normal daytime activity.

Never forget that moment on board and essentially alone within this entire ship, as well as seeing that early morning hour entering the hot and sultry Port Said under the stars with the flashing lights and the convoy lines of waiting ships from all over the world waiting their turn to enter the canal. Uhhhhhh...... that was not boring, right? I guess this is what I mean about HAL passengers being more self-contained. They bring their own sense of entertainment along with them.

Actually on HAL ships, there are no sidewalks to even roll up after 10pm. There is the late show in the entertainment showroom at 10pm, but that is passive entertainment, not interactive. There are some DJ activities in the Crows Nest after the late show, but from most reports they are not well attended.

They are presently taking out the former "disco" Northern Lights which was intended to be late night dance and strobe light affair and replacing it with a quieter bar setting. There is the late night buffet, but only if one finds eating even more food is entertainment. The entertainment is the array of more international offerings at that late buffet, as is also serves as the late shift crews dining option. Even the gym closes down.

Now what HAL ships do have during the late hours are lovely quiet moments under the stars and moonlight on the seas with a special hush since everyone is snug in their cabins on some of them most comfortable beds at sea. Or maybe ordering from a very nice and included 24 hour room service.

I got up once around 3am to view our entry into the Suez Canal on a Rotterdam cruise. I was about the only person up that time night - maybe there were five of us souls wondering around the public spaces on the ship that early hour. It was a haunting feeling seeing the ship so empty, so quiet, so different from its normal daytime activity.

Never forget that moment on board and essentially alone within this entire ship, as well as seeing that early morning hour entering the hot and sultry Port Said under the stars with the flashing lights and the convoy lines of waiting ships from all over the world waiting their turn to enter the canal. Uhhhhhh...... that was not boring, right? I guess this is what I mean about HAL passengers being more self-contained. They bring their own sense of entertainment along with them.

I totally agree with this post, I was also on the Rotterdam a few years back doing a TA out of Rome. It was about 3 or 4 in the morning and we were approaching the Rock of Gibralter on our way to Tangiers. There were maybe 5 or 6 of us wandering around the ship enjoying the view. HAL may not be the excitement capital of the sea, but the moments aboard can still be very special and memorable. Too many people need to be entertained, as they just don't know how to simply enjoy life's little pleasures.

I totally agree with this post, I was also on the Rotterdam a few years back doing a TA out of Rome. It was about 3 or 4 in the morning and we were approaching the Rock of Gibralter on our way to Tangiers. There were maybe 5 or 6 of us wandering around the ship enjoying the view. HAL may not be the excitement capital of the sea, but the moments aboard can still be very special and memorable. Too many people need to be entertained, as they just don't know how to simply enjoy life's little pleasures.

I understand it's about the itinerary. We always get a room with a balcony and enjoy the sights along the way. Even enjoy watching the pilot boat pull up to the ship. Love watching for flying fish and other sea life. However, I am really wanting to know what HAL offers on board the ship that makes it appealing. Sure there's the dining and the beds are comfortable, but I expect that on any cruise line. I get the feeling that most HAL cruisers just see the ship as a vehicle to get them to one port or another. Well...that is part of the reason for taking a cruise over a land vacation.

I know you love your beloved HAL...I'm just trying to figure out why. I'm not looking to be entertained 24 hours a day...I just want to be on a ship that feels like people are having fun and excited to be on their cruise. Moods are contagious. It can have an overall effect on your vacation.

I understand it's about the itinerary. We always get a room with a balcony and enjoy the sights along the way. Even enjoy watching the pilot boat pull up to the ship. Love watching for flying fish and other sea life. However, I am really wanting to know what HAL offers on board the ship that makes it appealing. Sure there's the dining and the beds are comfortable, but I expect that on any cruise line. I get the feeling that most HAL cruisers just see the ship as a vehicle to get them to one port or another. Well...that is part of the reason for taking a cruise over a land vacation.

I know you love your beloved HAL...I'm just trying to figure out why. I'm not looking to be entertained 24 hours a day...I just want to be on a ship that feels like people are having fun and excited to be on their cruise. Moods are contagious. It can have an overall effect on your vacation.

The "mood" of HAL ships is one of its strengths and that comes from the very warm, welcoming, professional attitude of the staff. HAL ships are known as the "ship of smiles". Always a friendly hello or greeting, always a wonderful smile. Never intrusive, but always present. This has been consistent across the fleet and comes from good hiring selection for hospitality industry skills and in-house training.

On our last cruise the Hotel Manager was telling us other cruise lines even come on board as passengers to poach HAL crew members directly, because of their reputation for courteous service. English is not their first language, but they always stop, nod and offer at least a pleasant greeting when you encounter crew members around the ship.

Even the ubiquitous "welcome back" one always gets upon returning to the ship, might be the only English phrase known, but it always feels genuinely welcoming. That is the mood I feel on HAL ships.

The "mood" of HAL ships is one of its strengths and that comes from the very warm, welcoming, professional attitude of the staff. HAL ships are known as the "ship of smiles". Always a friendly hello or greeting, always a wonderful smile. Never intrusive, but always present. This has been consistent across the fleet and comes from good hiring selection for hospitality industry skills and in-house training.

On our last cruise the Hotel Manager was telling us other cruise lines even come on board as passengers to poach HAL crew members directly, because of their reputation for courteous service. English is not their first language, but they always stop, nod and offer at least a pleasant greeting when you encounter crew members around the ship.

Even the ubiquitous "welcome back" one always gets upon returning to the ship, might be the only English phrase known, but it always feels genuinely welcoming. That is the mood I feel on HAL ships.

BTW: these sentiments probably do not translate into the "fun or excitement" you might be looking for; but rather more quiet contentment while onboard HAL ships. I think you might want to just give up on HAL. However, good for you for this penetrating discussion of what you are looking for. Measuring a "mood" of a ship is so subjective really, and can change from ship to ship, captain to captain, itinerary and time of the year.

I don't particularly like the "mood" of holiday cruises on HAL ships, mainly because there are larger family groups moving together and taking up elevators and tables and keep to themselves; more activity in the dining rooms with larger numbers of children's and parents going in and out during the meal time. A cabin for two normally, becomes a family cabin for four so the total numbers of passengers reaches maximum which is a noticeable mood change too.

They are having a good time, but the mood of the ship changes to something different than other non-holiday cruises. However, the ships are decorated beautifully and the holiday excitement the younger passengers show is palpable and infectious and they look absolutely darling dressed up for the "gala" nights. So the mood changes, but there are positive tradeoffs too.

Caveat: There was a sudden change on a recent cruise due to dining demands made by a large group also on board. This led to a lot of regular passenger discontent that translated down to over-stressed staff who were not at their best either. Hopefully HAL will not let this happen again, because that "mood" was definitely not anything HAL could be proud ot. There is a running thread here trying to warn about potential large group impacts on certain sailings, if anyone finds out ahead of time when these large group bookings are occurring.

Oh...I very much appreciate all of the positive input. It may not be right for me at present. But who knows...maybe sometime in the future it will be what I'm looking for in a cruise. I get regular emails from HAL and one of their cruises might just catch my eye.

But don't worry....you won't have to put up with a party animal, should I book a cruise on HAL. That's just not my personality.

Oh...I very much appreciate all of the positive input. It may not be right for me at present. But who knows...maybe sometime in the future it will be what I'm looking for in a cruise. I get regular emails from HAL and one of their cruises might just catch my eye.

But don't worry....you won't have to put up with a party animal, should I book a cruise on HAL. That's just not my personality.

If you were a "party animal" on a HAL ship, it would be like a drop in the vast ocean anyway. I don't think I have every seen a moment of disruptive conduct like that - drinking and getting in other people's faces sort of thing. I am always amazed how mellow the majority of HAL passengers are - seasoned travelers who have a good sense of what is expected once they enter the closed environment of a ship's confines. Public complaint are rare - thought reading some of the member reviews you would think HAL was running a human endurances contest, instead of a gracious cruise line.

As I wrote in my original post, I prefer to sail from Copenhagen or Hamburg (because they're within a reasonable driving distance). Technically, Amsterdam is also within driving distance, but the drive about 3 times as long as the other two ports.

The first time we did a Norwegian Cruise was out of Copenhagen on the Rotterdam. Since then Holland America has been using either Amsterdam or Rotterdam as their departure port. If you want to do a true "Norwegian" cruise, the best would be the Hurtigruten. Using a cruise ship, I would do the Norwegian cruise on the Prinsendam. The Prinsendam is the smallest of HAL ship and as you know the oldest. I would make the effort to get to Amsterdam to do that cruise before the Prinsendam is retired as they truly sail through the fjords. Not in and out like the Rotterdam did and the Koningsdam will do also. The Prinsendam is small enough to sail under the bridges. So the route travels through the fjords where possible.

I found several other companies that do a fjord cruises out of Copenhagen, but they don't return and they are pricier.

Edited by Storylady