Weather on Koningsdam 7-day Viking Saga?

ipoder

The second season of Koningsdam's cruises out of Amsterdam for seven days in the fijords of Norway is almost here. We are going June 25th and wonder what to expect on the sea days in the North Sea as we sail from Amsterdam to Flam. Rough seas, cold, wind, or fair with normal seas? I've seen questions about seasickness on the North Sea crossing and though I know one can't predict the weather, I wonder if the Koningsdam has handled the seas well?

Here's my experience - 7 days to Norway on Rotterdam from Rotterdam. I don't remember the crossing to Norway on the North Sea as particularly rough. But the cruise itself was a bust and I keep promising myself a do-over. We had 4 ports scheduled. One port was windy and cold, and damp and cloudy, but I got to see a lot. 2 ports it rained and spoiled all sightseeing as fog was at the mountaintops. The sail-aways from those ports were beautiful, down the fjords, but the mountaintops were mostly obscured. The last port, Bergen, it was sunny, for once, but winds were so strong we could not dock. We turned around and made a slow way back to Rotterdam.

All the crew said the previous week was gorgeous, sunny, warm. So the weather is totally a crap shoot. Be prepared for both extremes. The take away is to not be as worried about the North Sea crossing as the cruise itself in Norway. Hope you have good weather. My cruise was first week in July.

We have sailed this twice. One in May and once in August.

Weather is unstable, it can be very chilly, but also rather warm.

In Flamm the last time it was very warm, while the crew told us that 2 weeks earlier it was pouring and chilly.

In general we had good weather in all ports, but sometimes needed a jacket.

In both cases however the seas were very calm.

We will sail again late August this year as we loved the fjords.

Although our cruise was on the Prinsendam, we had smooth sailing those last two weeks in June, and had mostly nice weather the entire trip. However, we were told by the local people that those were the first days of sunny weather they'd had that month. I think the key is to dress in layers (similar to how we're packing for Alaska this June) and bring something for mal de mer, if you're prone to sea sickness. Wishing you a wonderful cruise and great weather!

I did the 14 day Northern Isles cruise on the Koningsdam last August. At that time we had wonderful weather on the North Sea. There was only one evening when the sea was rough but it was later so I took a Dramamine and went to bed.

So the weather is totally a crap shoot.

When it comes to Norway, truer word were never spoken (typed?).

I've been to Norway more times than I can count, in every month cruise ships go there. It has been hot, cold, sunny, rainy, snowing, and everything in between. Just be prepared for it, with layering the best advice.

As to how the Koningsdam rides if the seas are rough? I haven't been on that ship yet. Because she's so large, I would expect that if the seas were very rough she might not ride as well as some smaller ships do. So, if you may need meds, have them on hand, or get some at the Front Desk.

Keep in mind Norway weather is also changeable by the hour. It can and will move through everything even in just one day. Of course the days are much longer this time of the year, so that gives Noway lot more chance to be everything.

But this is Norway and this is the true Norwegian experience. See how the Norwegians themselves adapt to the daily demands of their climate. Our guides told us their favorite time of the year was winter when everything was dark and snowed in, because they loved all their outdoor winter activities. They grow 'em tough up there.

One of my screen-saver photos recently came up showing a small swimming dock off a rocky beach in a little town north of the Arctic Circle and our guides said yes, the locals did swim there in the summer. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Hi there,

We too will be on the June 25th sailing. We are beginners and hope that we don't spend the entire trip sick. I just posted a new thread a few minutes ago, then came across this one. We have traveled quite a bit the last few years but never cruised. Although my husband always enjoys our trips, he claims that I run him ragged and that he needs a vacation after we return home from our vacation. LOL So, this time after a few days in Amsterdam we will travel with the rest of you on what we foresee as a more relaxing vacation. We are in the 55-65 age bracket but look forward to meeting people of all ages. We usually travel lightly, with only one carry on each, but I'm thinking I might need to check one more small piece of luggage because I'm not sure what to bring either. Any advice or suggestions from all of you well seasoned cruisers appreciated. :)

Thanks