EZ Check Luggage Problem

Momma Mojito

On our recent Coral Princess 10 day Panama Canal cruise, we had a 9:45 p.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. We signed up for EZ Check knowing that we would be able to enjoy the day in Ft Lauderdale. About 7:30 the night before we were to get off the ship, we received a phone call saying that Southwest had rejected us for EZ Check. Well, you can imagine how upset we became, not knowing what we were going to do with our luggage in Ft Lauderdale plus we already had packed our luggage knowing there was no weight restriction with EZ Check. I immediately went down to the customer service desk to try and find out why we were rejected. We made a call to Southwest but no one that we talked to could give us a legitimate answer. Princess customer service representative NICOLE FIJMA went out of her way to also find out why they did this. She sent numerous emails to Southwest, explaining our situation. Finally, she came out of the office waving an email saying we had been reinstated.

On our recent Coral Princess 10 day Panama Canal cruise, we had a 9:45 p.m. flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. We signed up for EZ Check knowing that we would be able to enjoy the day in Ft Lauderdale. About 7:30 the night before we were to get off the ship, we received a phone call saying that Southwest had rejected us for EZ Check. Well, you can imagine how upset we became, not knowing what we were going to do with our luggage in Ft Lauderdale plus we already had packed our luggage knowing there was no weight restriction with EZ Check. I immediately went down to the customer service desk to try and find out why we were rejected. We made a call to Southwest but no one that we talked to could give us a legitimate answer. Princess customer service representative NICOLE FIJMA went out of her way to also find out why they did this. She sent numerous emails to Southwest, explaining our situation. Finally, she came out of the office waving an email saying we had been reinstated.

Did you by chance have a senior priced fare with SW?

Wow when you plan something like having your luggage taken care of; then being rejected; then the rep fighting hard for you. All these things become stressful. Do all the ports offer this service. I will be in Seattle in July; do they have the ez luggage? Delta is our preferred airline and we are medallion members

I did read once that a couple were rejected by SW because they had booked a "senior rate". It was explained that SW had to "check" the age and could not do that until passengers checked in at the airport....IMHO.....crazy:rolleyes:

Why do you ask? No we didn't have a senior priced fare, that I know of. And if it were a senior fare I would think they would take into consideration that this EZCheck would be helpful for us. One of their reasons was that there were too many people by our and my brothers last name on the flight!!! We have an uncommon Italian last name and my brother's last name is very uncommon. Go Figure!!! I haven't taken the time yet to contact Southwest but I will be looking further into the stressful situation that they put on us.

I did read once that a couple were rejected by SW because they had booked a "senior rate". It was explained that SW had to "check" the age and could not do that until passengers checked in at the airport....IMHO.....crazy:rolleyes:

I just don't understand if this were the reason why they would reject us at such a late time!!

Why do you ask? No we didn't have a senior priced fare, that I know of. And if it were a senior fare I would think they would take into consideration that this EZCheck would be helpful for us. One of their reasons was that there were too many people by our and my brothers last name on the flight!!! We have an uncommon Italian last name and my brother's last name is very uncommon. Go Figure!!! I haven't taken the time yet to contact Southwest but I will be looking further into the stressful situation that they put on us.

My DW's parents while on the Coral had the same thing happen to them when we sailed together.

It was explained that because they had a senior priced/coded fare the SW rule was they must show their ID at the ticket counter. This nullified them being able to use EZ Check. We spent over an hour to on the phone at the PSD talking with SW and the customer service manager spent a great deal of time as well. At first nobody knew why they were rejected. They never did get to use it. This happened the night before we arrived in Ft Lauderdale. :(

I just don't understand if this were the reason why they would reject us at such a late time!!

The paperwork does not get submitted until the last day or 2 before the end of the cruise.

That's why there is a deadline for passengers to submit them.

My DW's parents while on the Coral had the same thing happen to them when we sailed together.

It was explained that because they had a senior priced/coded fare the SW rule was they must show their ID at the ticket counter. This nullified them being able to use EZ Check. We spent over an hour to on the phone at the PSD talking with SW and the customer service manager spent a great deal of time as well. At first nobody knew why they were rejected. They never did get to use it. This happened the night before we arrived in Ft Lauderdale. :(

Thanks for your explanation!!!

Then to me this is discrimanation in my opinion. If this is how Southwest take care of seniors maybe Princess should look into their rulings!!!

Why do you ask? No we didn't have a senior priced fare, that I know of. And if it were a senior fare I would think they would take into consideration that this EZCheck would be helpful for us.

As the other responses indicated, Southwest usually does not allow passengers ticketed with senior fares (or child fares for that matter) to check in or print their boarding passes in advance; they must check in at the counter at the airport. There were no ulterior motives on the part of the member who asked.

The reason you did not hear about the rejection until the final evening is very likely that Princess was just then submitting the data to Southwest at that hour.

The issue you had was solved in your favor. Questioning motives and digging for reasons in the aftermath will only resurface your aggravation. If your purpose is trying to decide whether or not to do EZCheck again on your next cruise--the problems you had this time have no bearing on what may happen next time. Let it go.

Thanks for your explanation!!!

Then to me this is discrimanation in my opinion. If this is how Southwest take care of seniors maybe Princess should look into their rulings!!!

The reason Southwest disallows online check in for senior fares and child fares is that too many people who do not qualify were trying to use those tickets. That is not discrimination, but the opposite: safeguarding the rights of those entitled to those fares. But if you really feel that strongly perhaps it is best for you to choose another carrier--rather than implicitly suggest Princess should disassociate and penalize all your fellow passengers who do chose to fly Southwest.

Wow when you plan something like having your luggage taken care of; then being rejected; then the rep fighting hard for you. All these things become stressful. Do all the ports offer this service. I will be in Seattle in July; do they have the ez luggage? Delta is our preferred airline and we are medallion members

The Port of Seattle is providing complimentary baggage transfer and check-in this year.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Pages/default.aspx

The Port of Seattle is providing complimentary baggage transfer and check-in this year.

http://www.portseattle.org/Cruise/Pages/default.aspx

That's excellent!

Do you really think Princess will let an opportunity pass to charge another fee?

It will still take a bunch of work on their part tagging/sorting/moving etc.

The reason Southwest disallows online check in for senior fares and child fares is that too many people who do not qualify were trying to use those tickets. That is not discrimination, but the opposite: safeguarding the rights of those entitled to those fares. But if you really feel that strongly perhaps it is best for you to choose another carrier--rather than implicitly suggest Princess should disassociate and penalize all your fellow passengers who do chose to fly Southwest.

Last time I flew SW with a child, we *didn't* get a discounted child fare and they *still* wouldn't let us check in for our return except by going to the airport and checking in at the counter in person. It was a hassle to haul around our own bags.

VibeGuy, that is awesome news. Just what I was looking for. We have an evening flight and wanted to hang out downtown before heading to airport. This should work to our advantage

VibeGuy, that is awesome news. Just what I was looking for. We have an evening flight and wanted to hang out downtown before heading to airport. This should work to our advantage

Which is the goal of this program: "The cruise valet program will allow passengers to enjoy Seattle before heading to the airport". :)

Yes, EZ-Check is available in Seattle. However, read the rest of what I'm posting here as it may affect your plans to use EZ-Check in Seattle.

There is a new program initiated by the Port of Seattle for the Alaskan cruises originating in Seattle this year called Sea to Sky. What it involves is the transport of bags from Pier 66 and Pier 91 from the piers to SeaTac airport free of charge. The plan is that your bags will be tagged for your flight and transported to the airport at no charge to you. This should simplify your debarkation from your ship and your transportation to the airport quite a bit since you will no longer have to pick up your bags at the pier. This is quite similar to Holland-America's Luggage Direct program and Princess' EZ-Check program. Note also that you will probably NOT be able to access your bags from the time they're picked up and night before you disembark until you reach your destination airport, that you should insure that you have all your travel documents, medicine and other important items you will need while in-transit packed in your hand-carried bags and not your checked items!! Also please note that further information on this program will probably be made available to you on board your ship toward the end of your cruise.

Note that the cruise season in Seattle begins this weekend (April 29th to be exact) so the first time this program will be used hasn't occurred yet, so any glitches that may be in the system are not known yet.

Tom

Not only do they have it but I recently read that the city would pick up your charges for you as they want to trudge up some business for their city. Your flight must be after 11:45 AM and only certain airlines are included but I think Delta is one of them.

Check out the third bullet point in this article:

https://www.porthole.com/porthole-cruise-news-briefs-apr-14-2017/

I keep reading this from people on CC, but if you are a SW

Rapid Rewards Card member this never happens because they have your age and passport info. Just join there frequent flyer club. I just flew from FLL to PHX after a March Regal cruise and had no problem with the EZ Check, which sure helps elderly travelers.

I am on Delta airlines non stop from seattle to Cincinnati We leave at 1045pm. The free luggage valet program looks great. We will get off ship and spend the day downtown before heading ro airport that night. Awesome.

Is there any place downtown that will store carry-on luggage and such? Similar to Ken's Baggage at SeaTac? Some people, unfortunately, have to take a laptop for work and obviously can't send that to luggage valet. I don't think there are any public lockers, but would be willing to pay a fee for a few hours storage time.

I heard that there is a locker system at both pier 91 and pier 66(which is near downtown and pikes market). do not know the particulars' so Maybe you can check this out.

Thank you!! Pier 66 would probably be the best place to look.