Block Party.

Pamela1

Hello,

Just wanted to ask if there was a difference on the line to where and when the "Block Parties" happened and if only certain ships offered this.

We were on the Mariner in May and had a party in the corridor that was fab but didn't happen on The Voyager in October, is there a reason for this?

Pam.

I believe that it is up to the Cruise Director. We have had block parties on almost all of our cruises. The days and times they take place differ - depending upon itinerary. We've had them in the morning (on a sea day) and at night on port days. Was your Voyager cruise port intensive? Also, just curious to know who the Cruise Director was.

I believe that it is up to the Cruise Director. We have had block parties on almost all of our cruises. The days and times they take place differ - depending upon itinerary. We've had them in the morning (on a sea day) and at night on port days. Was your Voyager cruise port intensive? Also, just curious to know who the Cruise Director was.

Our Voyager cruise was port intensive as was our Mariner one in May. I hadn't really thought about it until now but just wondered if it was a certain ship that did it rather than the whole fleet.

I don't recall the CD's name but think maybe Chris? He was American, the social hostess was Sarah, she was on the Mariner in May and was a lovely girl. She organised the people who were on their own and helped them get to know other guests. I remembered her on the Mariner with Therese (CD) and they had a great rapport.

I was on the mid-August around the UK trip on the Voyager - Chris Shaffer was the CD - and we had a Block Party on the 4th night - a sea day.

Every Regent cruise I have sailed on - all ships - have had a Black Party since the tradition was started a number of years ago. And if I sailed on a back to back, each cruise had a Block party.

Pamela1, clearly, I can't speak to your experience specifically but it seems like an exception as opposed to a change.

Peggy

Just curious, never cruised with Regent before but have booked a cruise with them for 08/2016......what is a block party?

thanks

A block party is a wonderful way to meet your neighbors. At a specific time (announced on the PA and also scheduled on "Passages"), you walk outside of your suite with a wineglass in hand (available in all suites). Wine is poured and "nibbles" are passed around (cheese, etc.) The Captain (when not steering the ship), General Manager and Cruise Director start at the top deck and work their way down shaking hands. In the meantime, you are meeting your neighbors. It is usually a lot of fun.

My first blocked party occurred while I just got out of the shower - not to miss anything I was in the hall in robe, hair wrapped in towel, no makeup and wine glass in hand. I also ended up on the video tape and everyone got to "meet" me because it was repeated in TV everyday! I have to admit it was fun having folks ask if I was the person in the robe with towel on her head. Who needs an icebreaker!

Am on the Mariner now...and sadly, no block party has been scheduled [emoji17]

Sometimes you don't learn about them until you receive "Passages" the night before. Hope that they end up having one. Is Lorraine still the CD on board?

Edited by Travelcat2

Ah, i remember now Chris Shafer.

Do you have a particular CD that you like?

More of the folks from the past can chime in, but I believe the Block Party was initiated by CD Jamie Logan and Capt. Dag on the Voyager -- and has spread to other ships. On the 2007 and 2010 World Cruises we had them on each segment. Great way to meet your neighbors.

More of the folks from the past can chime in, but I believe the Block Party was initiated by CD Jamie Logan and Capt. Dag on the Voyager -- and has spread to other ships. On the 2007 and 2010 World Cruises we had them on each segment. Great way to meet your neighbors.

. . . and to find out who exactly has been making all that "noise" on the other side of your wall :)

Just returned from the Navigator cruise-SFO-YUL.

The Block Party was started by CD Jamie Logan in 1996 as a way for passenger/guests to meet each other informally. It has continued to this day. Whether on other ships without Jamie, I don't know, but that is the history as repeated by Jamie on this cruise and others.. Good idea and it works.