Istanbul - Jeton Machines

A quick question about Istanbul - Does the tram station near the ship (Tophane ?) have a Jeton machine to buy tokens , and if so does it takes notes or coins as we will only have notes being fresh off the ship.

First time cruising in Istanbul, have been before but just bought tokens in the hotel then. Is it likely that the ship (Emerald Princess) will have tram tokens for sale or any coins if we need them.

Thanks

Yes, machines accept coins and notes. Change will be in coins though. You will pass a couple of shops on the way from the dock to the street so you could buy a bottle or can to break a larger note. Ken

Thanks Ken, as long as they take notes that will be OK, envisiged chasing around for coins.

I think the Findikli (?) station is closer to the port than the Tophane station. And you get on the tram before everybody else waiting at Tophane.

Quite possibly but it depends on where your ship is berthed along the dock. Worth a try!

bee-ess,

I agree with the others who advise that you may not know in advance where your closest tram stop is. It all depends on where your ship is. The port authority may limit which exit you're able to take. (For some--but not most--passengers, there will be a shuttle from the ship to the exit). Download the tomsportguide and there's a map with the layout of the port and the main 3 possible stops. Take the map with you. There may be locals in the port assisting passengers with maps, etc; try to ask one where you are on the map. (If you ask a local where the tram is, be sure to say "tram-vay" . . . when we said "tram" no one knew what we were saying:)

Enjoy Istanbul!

We were just there in early May.

They are working on the dock area and there is only one entrance/exit open……. there were 3 large ships and a Windstar ship in port and we were docked A LONG WAY from the entrance/exit. The Findliki stop is closer to that one entrance/exit. We were told they would be working on that for some time…… not sure when you are going but just an FYI. BTW: no port shuttle was running for any of the ships. EVERYONE was walking.

I will tell you that exiting that one exit was a nightmare !!!!! Their system was not operating properly - they used a hand held scanner to scan your sea pass card and about half would not scan. Those that would not scan had to go to a window and one by one they somehow processed them. My dh, son and daughter in law all got thru and my sea pass did NOT scan. After a short wait they announced only Celebrity cards in that window - all others ( NCL and Seaborn I believe) had to go back to their ship to get a new card or something. IT WAS CRAZY !!! I got through after about 20 minutes. Hopefully they have fixed that mess !!! Totally backlogged and lots of really mad people.

As a side note: you could be docked right at the entrance/exit :D

Edited by texancruzer

We were just there in early May.

They are working on the dock area and there is only one entrance/exit open……. there were 3 large ships and a Windstar ship in port and we were docked A LONG WAY from the entrance/exit. The Findliki stop is closer to that one entrance/exit. We were told they would be working on that for some time…… not sure when you are going but just an FYI. BTW: no port shuttle was running for any of the ships. EVERYONE was walking.

I will tell you that exiting that one exit was a nightmare !!!!! Their system was not operating properly - they used a hand held scanner to scan your sea pass card and about half would not scan. Those that would not scan had to go to a window and one by one they somehow processed them. My dh, son and daughter in law all got thru and my sea pass did NOT scan. After a short wait they announced only Celebrity cards in that window - all others ( NCL and Seaborn I believe) had to go back to their ship to get a new card or something. IT WAS CRAZY !!! I got through after about 20 minutes. Hopefully they have fixed that mess !!! Totally backlogged and lots of really mad people.

As a side note: you could be docked right at the entrance/exit :D

Thanls for the warning - does anyone know if the tram station at Findliki has a Jeton machine ?

Thanls for the warning - does anyone know if the tram station at Findliki has a Jeton machine ?

You will find the jeton machines at all tram stops…… but some of them are not right there but maybe across the street. These will mostly be in the older historic area where the streets get quite small and you enter/exit the tram on the side of the street versus where the tram stops are large areas in the middle of the road.….. but those out by the port will be right before you go thru the turnstiles.

What a mess. Hope they get it figured out soon.

When you get out of that one exit, is it pretty obvious which way you'll go to get to the tram? I assume it would be left, but just wanted to check. Also, someone else mentioned that for either Finkliki or Tophane you need to cross the street before you get to the tram, since there's apparently some barrier or fence or something Is that true for Finkliki? Thanks.

Edited by roothy123

What a mess. Hope they get it figured out soon.

When you get out of that one exit, is it pretty obvious which way you'll go to get to the tram? I assume it would be left, but just wanted to check. Also, someone else mentioned that for either Finkliki or Tophane you need to cross the street before you get to the tram, since there's apparently some barrier or fence or something Is that true for Finkliki? Thanks.

We walked right…… the tram stops aren't that far apart that it would be a big deal either way.

All the tram stops out near the port are in the middle of a large boulevard. You do need to cross traffic and I would suggest that you ALWAYS do it at a crosswalk !!!! The traffic pretty much won't stop for you :eek: There will be a crosswalk area (with a light) near the entrance to the tram stop. Its really very easy.

Is there an ATM nearby to get Turkish lira?

Or were you able to get some on the ship?

Did I read correctly that I can buy more than one token at a time? So we can buy four .... for 2 outbound and 2 back?

There is an ATM in the port building through which you walk on the way out. Yes, you can buy as many jetons as you want, which is a good idea. Ken

Just a quick follow-up question: Does anyone know if the jeton machines will dispense a card for 24 hour use? I'm pretty sure those exist, but not sure if I have to go to a special place to get one. I'd rather get the card/pass if possible, as we'll be staying over in Istanbul.