workers comp and cruising

luckyinpa

I hope the OP does exactly what you say. Clearly the OP feels there may be some problems or the question wouldn't have been asked. Why game the system and risk committing a fraud. Be up front and ask.

I agree. There are lots of reasons for the OP to be nervous. She could have received advise from someone who did try to scam or has no idea what they are talking about or as some have rightly pointed out there are many reasons to be out on Worker's Comp.

As one poster pointed out a sore arm where you need two to do your job. A hurt back where lifting or twisting is the job. An injured leg or foot where standing and/or walking is crucial to their job. Just because my arm is broken and I can't do my job doesn't mean I can't relax by the pool in back yard or on a ship.

If she is nervous about talking to WC then I would start by asking the therapist about others he has treated and what his view is. Then I would call the doctor and ask how he felt about OP missing a week of therapy: did he think it okay, did he think it in violation of WC rules and that type of thing.

I've never gone out on WC BUT I have done my fair share of therapy and I can tell you there has been times when stopping it for a week was necessary just for my body to recover. Heck, my therapist was terrified of touching my feet and legs (the reason I was there) so would sometimes work on my, say, bad shoulder. Do I feel like I cheated my insurance company? No. Because he got my arm/shoulder fixed so I was no longer favoring that side and got back on track. Every body's situation is different.

Bottom line, I would call WC or my company and explain the situation. I bought my tickets long before the injury, I face losing the money putting an even greater money hardship on me and see what they say. The worst that can happen is they say no. OP hasn't done anything wrong and that is why they are asking. So they don't do anything wrong.

Not everyone is dishonest. Not everyone wants to game the system. Not everyone is experienced is cheating. There really are some people that have a life situation happen and don't know what to do. Sometimes these inexperienced people come on a cruise website and ask jaded people that make them feel like pieces of crap because they are uneducated in the art of screwing the government.

My brother owed a limo company. He had a driver go out on WC (in California) saying that he had a bad back created by my brother requiring him to lift suitcases into the trunk. WC bought it. My brother found out a few month's later from a customer that the guy started his own company 100 miles east doing the exact thing he was telling WC he couldn't do. My brother had to hire a lawyer, a private detective and go to court. Guess what? He lost. WC said the guy was able to run his own company, doing the same thing and still collect WC because he made his customer's put their own suitcases in the trunk. Any of you buy that BS story?

I can understand why someone would not necessarily want to call attention to the fact that they're thinking of doing something that they are not sure is legitimate, specifically drawing the attention of the person who is most responsible for ensuring that they are doing everything properly.

i wish everyone was as intelligent as you. there are also other things the person has issues with and they are being held back as well. they need another surgery however they cannot do it as they would be out 6 weeks and unable to do their PT. so it's suffer while suffering and nothing can be done.

I can understand why someone would not necessarily want to call attention to the fact that they're thinking of doing something that they are not sure is legitimate, specifically drawing the attention of the person who is most responsible for ensuring that they are doing everything properly.

If they're gonna go on the cruise regardless then what does it matter if it's OK or not? If they're not gonna go if it's not "proper" then there's no harm in asking, in fact asking will make sure they do things by the book.