Oceana cruise questions

FarlitMorcha

The better half and I are going on our first cruise on the Oceana (Genoa to Genoa) in just over two weeks for our honeymoon.

I've read quite a few of the posts on both this board and a couple of other boards here, but I had a few questions if I may. Many thanks in advance for any answers.

We’re on a scheduled BA flight from Gatwick. Does anyone know what the transfer is like at the Genoa end? Is there likely to be time to buy anything like a bottle of prosecco/wine or similar in Italy, or should we try and pick anything we want up after security at the airport? There are a lot of ports so we’re not expecting to spend too much time in the cabin, but we have a balcony so it would be nice to sip something on it now and again.

With regards to the balcony, I saw on a post (a while back) that on the Oceana they are metal rather than glass, but the ‘3d’ cabin viewer on the P&O website seems to show a glass one. Is this likely to just be shown from another ship?

The better half likes to drink quite a bit of squash. I know that we can’t take our own alcohol out of the cabin (without paying corkage ofc), but if we were to fill up a bottle of pre-made squash and take this around, is this likely to be an issue?

We’ve got an overnight in Venice, and whilst we booked P&O excursions for most ports (partly to make sure we didn’t miss the departure!) we’re planning on doing our own thing there. Does anyone have any suggestions about what’s best to see?

Lastly, is there any advice that people would give for first time cruisers on P&O (that might not be obvious from a random sampling of posts here)?

Many thanks again

Oceana balconies are of the "Hull cutout" type. Your patio doors giving access to the balcony providing the threshold out onto the balcony. Then the balcony is the space between that and the side of the ship. A biggish hole is cut out of the side of the ship and the lower section is filled in with horizontal bars and a wooden handrail on top. This style is universal throughout the ship.

Regards John

When you arrive at Genoa Airport you will collect your hold luggage from the carousel and then take it outside to the lorry that will transport it to the ship. You keep your hand luggage with you and that goes in the luggage compartment of the coach that will take you to the ship. Genoa is a very small airport. There won't be time for you to stop and go to any shops. It took a bit of time to check us all in once we got to the ship and as far as I remember there aren't any shops near the terminal. Why don't you get your Prosecco at Gatwick Duty Free before flying. We liked the fact that the luggage allowance with BA was much more generous than either Thomas Cook or Thomson - hand luggage you can take a small cabin bag which can weigh up to 25kg as long as you can lift it into the overhead compartment. The measurements of the cabin bag are on the BA website.

We flew into Genoa to join Oceana in May and the good news is that on the home journey you don't have to take your hold luggage to the airport. We put it outside the cabin the night before as is done in the Caribbean and we didn't see it again until we got to Gatwick. You do the immigration bit on board the ship and when you get to Genoa Airport it's straight through security and wait in the quite small Departure Lounge - you can get drinks etc. there. There's not miles to walk like there is at Gatwick. It was all done very smoothly.

The better half and I are going on our first cruise on the Oceana (Genoa to Genoa) in just over two weeks for our honeymoon.

I've read quite a few of the posts on both this board and a couple of other boards here, but I had a few questions if I may. Many thanks in advance for any answers.

We’re on a scheduled BA flight from Gatwick. Does anyone know what the transfer is like at the Genoa end? Is there likely to be time to buy anything like a bottle of prosecco/wine or similar in Italy, or should we try and pick anything we want up after security at the airport? There are a lot of ports so we’re not expecting to spend too much time in the cabin, but we have a balcony so it would be nice to sip something on it now and again.

Hi, we did the same cruise from Manchester and we had loads of time when we arrived. Having said that we got our box of wine at Manchester Airport and it lasted us 2 weeks :-)

With regards to the balcony, I saw on a post (a while back) that on the Oceana they are metal rather than glass, but the ‘3d’ cabin viewer on the P&O website seems to show a glass one. Is this likely to just be shown from another ship?

The balconies on deck A and B are larger than on C deck. They are metal and not glass. Nice to put your feet though when lounging and the sides give an excellent spot for those wine glasses to sit !

The better half likes to drink quite a bit of squash. I know that we can’t take our own alcohol out of the cabin (without paying corkage ofc), but if we were to fill up a bottle of pre-made squash and take this around, is this likely to be an issue?

Sorry, don't know on this one[/b]

We’ve got an overnight in Venice, and whilst we booked P&O excursions for most ports (partly to make sure we didn’t miss the departure!) we’re planning on doing our own thing there. Does anyone have any suggestions about what’s best to see?

We went in to Venice at about 5 pm and went up the large tower in St Mark's Square. I think it was about 9 euros each and it was a lift. Amazing views. After that we had a meal in a small side street just opposite St Mark's Square and then just walked around after listening to the music and enjoying the atmosphere. If you've never been before and can afford it I would do the gondola - nothing more romantic, especially on your honeymoon

Lastly, is there any advice that people would give for first time cruisers on P&O (that might not be obvious from a random sampling of posts here)?

On that cruise make sure you enjoy the sail in and sailaway in Kotor - absolutely stunning. IF you are fit and able in Kotor walk to the fort and enjoy the views. The cafes there are quite reasonable too for lunch.

In Corfu we did the day sailing and swimming excursion for our anniversary- it was fabulous.

Dubrovenik - go around the walls and have a snack in a café somewhere close to the fort / water. Not expensive.

Many thanks again

Re P&O - just go and have a great time. Our Genoa to Genoa last month was one of the best cruises we have ever been on and we had lots of 'perfect' days. Make the cruise your own and do what YOU want to do and not be dictated by what you think you should be doing

Congratulations and have a great time :D:D:)

Edited by Presto2

Hi there,

Having never flown anywhere with P&O I cannot help re the flight and Genoa question.

Re. the balcony - I think it depends on where you are on the ship as to what the balcony sides are made of. We've only ever had cabins on B deck and they have metal railings, as already mentioned by someone else, spaced a few inches apart at regular intervals. Much nicer in a way than glass-fronted balconies as they never get dirty(!) and you can, therefore, see through the whole time (as well as being able to put your feet through them).

Re. the Squash - I have to be honest I don't think I would carry a bottle of anything around inside a ship. You could obviously take one on to the outside decks in a bag. You would not expect to be able to take drink of any kind in to a Restaurant or Pub in this Country and I think that when on a ship you should probably think in the same way. Ships do actually have plenty of drink available!

Not sure what time you will get to Venice, but you should definitely see St. Marks Square, and if you have time, the Rialto Bridge. You can walk to the Rialto from St. Marks following the signs - it takes about 15 mins. The hustle and bustle of the Grand Canal is something you really have to see.

Personally, I will never understand why anyone takes the time to travel all the way to Venice (one of the most beautiful cities in the World) and a place they may never visit again, and decides to save a few pounds by having a drink in a side street off of St. Marks Square. ENJOY YOURSELF! Go have a drink sat listening to the string quartet in St. Marks - you may never go again!!

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

As you have never been to Venice before I would HIGHLY recommend you take the vaporetto along the grand Canal.

There is an overhead train from the port to a square called Piazzola Roma which is by the Canal and is a bus station. It is only a few minutes. Anybody at the port will point you in the direction of the People Mover train although you cannot miss it if you look up, and again at Piazzale Roma- or if you look to your left you should see it.

The Grand Canal is obviously the main canal in Venice and the vaporettos are the main transport system. As you sail down on this water bus you will see so many of the iconic buildings and also the main bridges like the Rialto. It is absolutely breath-taking and the best 'tour' I think I have ever done. You get off at San Zaccharia which is the closest stop to Saint Mark's / San Marco.

https://quickvenice.com/transportation/actv-linea-1-vaporetto.htm

https://quickvenice.com/transportation/people-mover.htm

The first time we were there we also did a group tour with Viator which was very reasonable cost and included a gondola ride.

https://www.viator.com/tours/Venice/Venice-Walking-Tour-and-Gondola-Ride/d522-2495TOUR2.

To finish off the evening, and as you enjoy Prossecco (like me!) you should enjoy a few bellinis, invented in Venice. I don't like sitting in St Mark's because of the pigeons but it's worth having a drink there but it is VASTLY expensive with a cover charge for the musicians, so it depends what your budget is

Personally, I will never understand why anyone takes the time to travel all the way to Venice (one of the most beautiful cities in the World) and a place they may never visit again, and decides to save a few pounds by having a drink in a side street off of St. Marks Square. ENJOY YOURSELF! Go have a drink sat listening to the string quartet in St. Marks - you may never go again!!

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

Hi, just to clarify our experience. We decided to have a meal out at night and ended up literally by the side of the Church about 100 yards away from bell tower. We still got all of the atmosphere and the meal cost us 70 euros for 2 courses and a drink each. We could still hear the orchestra etc :-) We thought it was good value. We both had a main course and dessert - I had a large wine, hubby a large larger and we had a bottle of water, bread etc

It is called Ristorante Falciani and it is in the Piazza dei Leoncini. Best to Google it to show exactly where it is. :-)

Edited by Presto2

When you arrive at Genoa Airport you will collect your hold luggage from the carousel and then take it outside to the lorry that will transport it to the ship. You keep your hand luggage with you and that goes in the luggage compartment of the coach that will take you to the ship. Genoa is a very small airport. There won't be time for you to stop and go to any shops. It took a bit of time to check us all in once we got to the ship and as far as I remember there aren't any shops near the terminal. Why don't you get your Prosecco at Gatwick Duty Free before flying. We liked the fact that the luggage allowance with BA was much more generous than either Thomas Cook or Thomson - hand luggage you can take a small cabin bag which can weigh up to 25kg as long as you can lift it into the overhead compartment. The measurements of the cabin bag are on the BA website.

We flew into Genoa to join Oceana in May and the good news is that on the home journey you don't have to take your hold luggage to the airport. We put it outside the cabin the night before as is done in the Caribbean and we didn't see it again until we got to Gatwick. You do the immigration bit on board the ship and when you get to Genoa Airport it's straight through security and wait in the quite small Departure Lounge - you can get drinks etc. there. There's not miles to walk like there is at Gatwick. It was all done very smoothly.

On our Bournemouth to Genoa flight for our cruise the hold luggage is checked in at Bournemouth and we get it outside our cabin on arrival to the ship.

When we were in Italy on a P and O cruise a couple of years ago (sorry don't remember where) we went in a tiny backstreet supermarket near the port for fruit and the wine and fizz were ridiculously cheap! We took three bottles each back to the ship and they didn't bat an eyelid at security. I love that P and O don't mind you doing this - just leave room though for the yummie cocktails before/after the show!

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're both staring to really look forward to the cruise. It does seem like a great set of ports, quite a few places that we have wanted to visit for a while.

Another question, if I may. I've read the dress codes, and a lot of the topics on that. We have the formal nights sorted (the fiancee has enjoyed the opportunity to buy new dresses), but I was wondering about the smart casual ones. Whilst the dress code seems quite clear, how common is it for gentlemen to wear jackets to them. I'm wondering if I should pack a suit to give myself the option.

Many thanks again

Thanks everyone for the advice. We're both staring to really look forward to the cruise. It does seem like a great set of ports, quite a few places that we have wanted to visit for a while.

Another question, if I may. I've read the dress codes, and a lot of the topics on that. We have the formal nights sorted (the fiancee has enjoyed the opportunity to buy new dresses), but I was wondering about the smart casual ones. Whilst the dress code seems quite clear, how common is it for gentlemen to wear jackets to them. I'm wondering if I should pack a suit to give myself the option.

Many thanks again

Not necessary at all. I take one when sailing from Southampton but only as I wear it to board. We have a back to back soon and may wear it twice in 30+ days I would not take one on a fly cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

We took the excursion from the ship for a gondola trip.excellent value , a boat took us from the dock which is now quite a way out of the city centre, right up the grand canal to the quay right near St Marks Square, where we were walked to the gondolas, it was a great experience and then we had free time to look around and could choose what time we wanted to take the shuttle boat back to the ship. We sat overlooking the Grand canal right by the waterside in a bar and had two drinks with a large bowl of crisps brought to us for about 15 euros, well worth it for the location! Don't miss the "sail in", you will never experience anything like it again, with the church bells ringing. Enjoy.

We went to Venice for a day trip on our honeymoon, many years ago. We couldn't afford to do everything. So what we did was have a slice of pizza and can of coke for lunch, stopped to have a coffee and cake mid afternoon and McDonalds early evening - all in all I think we hardly spent anything and didn't waste too much time eating, but we did go on a gondola and I have heard they cost around £90 - £100 now, but I'm so glad we did because we have not been back since and we have wonderful memories.

Re smart casual clothing, this is just trousers/chinos/smart jeans and a smart shirt or polo top, no t-shirts or shorts allowed and shoes or you can get away with smart black trainers so no need for jackets.

Hope you love Oceana we did and have a happy honeymoon.