Britannia 2 nights cruise to Bruges - some questions

Leekaz

Would like to take my parents on this short cruise for their golden wedding anniversary at Easter.

Does anyone know if it will be formal dress both nights for the main restaurant or just one night or none with it being so short?

Also, would you recommend flying down from Glasgow the day before and having an overnight in Southampton, or will flying down early on the embarkation day be enough?

Hope you can help.

Karen

Only one night will be formal. As for when you travel it's up to you. Obviously if you fly down the day before you won't have to worry about any delays - they do happen. Also it would make the whole trip that much more enjoyable for your parents - you could stay in a hotel near the port and go out and have a lovely meal in the evening.

I assume you do know that a two night trip is not like a real cruise, there may be stag and hen parties on board and that does alter the atmosphere. It is a lovely thing to do for your parents and looking at a three night cruise may not be an option but we have found that the three night ones tend to be much less of "party cruises", particularly ones that avoid the weekend.

Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a lovely time and I'm sure your parents will enjoy themselves.

Only one night will be formal. As for when you travel it's up to you. Obviously if you fly down the day before you won't have to worry about any delays - they do happen. Also it would make the whole trip that much more enjoyable for your parents - you could stay in a hotel near the port and go out and have a lovely meal in the evening.

I assume you do know that a two night trip is not like a real cruise, there may be stag and hen parties on board and that does alter the atmosphere. It is a lovely thing to do for your parents and looking at a three night cruise may not be an option but we have found that the three night ones tend to be much less of "party cruises", particularly ones that avoid the weekend.

Being a veteran of these short cruises as I live close to Southampton, I fully agree with annieuk. Although the stag and hen parties very rarely cause offence, the presence of large partying groups does change the ambience.

And I would also recommend staying the night before in Southampton for a more relaxing experience. A 2 nighter is usually very hectic as everyone is intent on getting the most out of every minute, so a peaceful evening the night before may help!

Edited by Scriv

Thank you for your swift replies.

I hadn't thought of stag/hen parties. I've booked it now, but hopefully it'll be alright. My Dad at 76 loves an atmosphere - any excuse to dance or play the piano hahaha.

We've only cruised once before and my parents have never, so this shall be interesting.

Sounds as if your dad will love it then :) :)

There are always quieter parts of the ship to retire to for a more peaceful drink or break if you need it. There is so much choice.

Edited by Scriv

Definitely go the day before! Noting like a leisurely trip down and being in Southampton knowing you only have a short ride to the ship. Lots of great restaurants too, we always drive down a day or two before, makes a great long weekend. If you do book a flight down, don't book an early flight back, I would suggest a pm flight is a safer option.

We went on one or two weekenders in the 00's, the stag and hen parties were well behaved, don't know what they are like now. At least you know what to expect!

I did a two nighter on Britannia and second night was formal. In order not to miss the sailing you must fly night before. I should try and big it up with a decent hotel stay pre-cruise. This will give you all a gala dinner night before embarking.

Regards John

Don't worry about the presence of stag or hen parties on board,,they liven things up at Sailaway time! I'm always slightly jealous that I'm not with them:D but then my spiritual home is Benidorm cos I like to be entertained! ;)

Don't worry about the presence of stag or hen parties on board,,they liven things up at Sailaway time! I'm always slightly jealous that I'm not with them:D but then my spiritual home is Benidorm cos I like to be entertained! ;)

Why should Leekaz worry about stag and hen parties getting out of hand with drink? Kaz has already indicated she is coming from Glasgow. It appears to me parents live there. All ladies from Glasgow are affectionately called Hen and I believe Glasgow (European City of Culture 1990) is not a dry city.

Lol John

Edited by john watson

Why should Leekaz worry about stag and hen parties getting out of hand with drink? Kaz has already indicated she is coming from Glasgow. It appears to me parents live there. All ladies from Glasgow are affectionately called Hen and I believe Glasgow (European City of Culture 1990) is not a dry city.

Lol John

I don't think for one second that anyone should worry about stag and hen parties! Some posts however seem to give the impression that they are a negative aspect of the mini cruises,,of which I have done 9 now and thoroughly loved every single one.,,maybe that's my dad's Glaswegian genes coming through.

I don't think for one second that anyone should worry about stag and hen parties! Some posts however seem to give the impression that they are a negative aspect of the mini cruises,,of which I have done 9 now and thoroughly loved every single one.,,maybe that's my dad's Glaswegian genes coming through.

I am not portraying them as a negative aspect, but they do make for a different ambience as do any large partying groups and it could be quite a shock for some folks if they are not aware and expect a peaceful or different experience.

I am not portraying them as a negative aspect, but they do make for a different ambience as do any large partying groups and it could be quite a shock for some folks if they are not aware and expect a peaceful or different experience.

Did I say that you personally were doing that ? No,,I didn't. No further comment. Happy cruising to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did have a giggle at your Glasgow/Hen reference! Quite possibly true! :):D

I however, only work in Glasgow, but live in the countryside - so I'm only rowdy half the week. Hee hee hee!

Cannot wait. Shall do the big reveal to my parents on Christmas Eve which is their anniversary.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did have a giggle at your Glasgow/Hen reference! Quite possibly true! :):D

I however, only work in Glasgow, but live in the countryside - so I'm only rowdy half the week. Hee hee hee!

Cannot wait. Shall do the big reveal to my parents on Christmas Eve which is their anniversary.

OOOH this is sooo exciting..I hope they have a lovely time.

2 hotels it might be worth looking at..if you are flying down the day before

Grand Harbour Hotel in Southampton..opposite some of the terminals. Never stayed in there ,but it looks impressive from the outside.

Something slightly different....Boathouse hotel in Hythe...Arrive in Southampton..get the little Hythe ferry across the water...ask for a room that looks out over the water. You would be able to make sure the ship is there, before heading across the water again.

We have stayed here. It is different..Hythe is a lovely place..peace calm and tranquility before it all starts the next day.

I think the above will put it one step up from holiday inn/premier inn the night before.

When we did a similar idea for my parent years ago (not a cruise) OH got a long sheet of paper and in bestest Floral Handwriting..did a whole thing that was rather impressive, rather than just here are your tickets you are doing this. You had to read the whole thing to understand what the surprise was...All finished off with an impressive tied ribbon...I think my mum still has it...they loved it.