Drones

I am an amateur photographer and recently purchased a drone for a trip to Hawaii. Instead of flying over and just staying on one or two islands, we decided to do a cruise. Apparently drones aren't allowed on board Norwegian. I was wondering if anyone has ever been successful at getting the cruise line to allow the drone on board but to be stored in the security office except for shore excursions.

Thanks in advance.

NCL does not allow drones period. The OFFICIAL policy is it will be returned to you end of cruise (with all the other things going on during port times, imagine if 8-10 people or more wanted to check their drones in and out and what if one got damaged, etc). I would go on the assumption it would not be allowed, you could always ask.

Per the NCL Faq: "Drones (Game Flying Device)

Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the vessel."

They are not going to stop you from boarding, but they are not going to valet it either.

Per the NCL Faq: "Drones (Game Flying Device)

Guests are not permitted to bring drones onboard for safety of other guests, as well as the welfare of the

This is a part that is confusing. There is a big difference between a game flying drone and a photography drone.

Zero Tolerance (zero intelligence) policies like this are designed to remove all need for assessment or decision making and therefore, no liability regarding the subject of the policy. No guns at school has pretty much the same consequence for a loaded pistol in a knapsack or an inch-long GI Joe plastic toy. No drones means no featherweight selfie copter or $7k cinematic tool.

I wish you luck but I don't hold much hope that you'll prevail.

Dave

I wish you luck but I don't hold much hope that you'll prevail.

I don't hold much hope either. It is ok though. If I decide drone footage is the most important thing I will just cancel my cruise and fly over. Then I can do what I want.

Drones have a lot of liability. I support NCL's policy.

Not trying to justify anything but so does alcohol consumption.

I doubt I will take the drone or I will just cancel the cruise and fly over and stay a week.

Not looking to push the issue or whine about it. Was just curious mostly. I have other cameras to use that don't fly unless I throw them. :D

Not trying to justify anything but so does alcohol consumption.

I doubt I will take the drone or I will just cancel the cruise and fly over and stay a week.

Not looking to push the issue or whine about it. Was just curious mostly. I have other cameras to use that don't fly unless I throw them. :D

If you are flying over, don't pass up the lava flow on the Big Island. I took a boat tour with Lava Ocean Tours from just south of Hilo and managed to check "photographing lava streaming into the ocean from 50 feet away" off my Bucket List.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/lava

p255089371-5.jpg

Worth every penny!

Dave

This is a part that is confusing. There is a big difference between a game flying drone and a photography drone.

No, there's not a "big difference." They're both DRONES, which in the hands of a passenger could cause all sorts of problems. Buy the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, there's not a "big difference." They're both DRONES, which in the hands of a passenger could cause all sorts of problems. Buy the video

Best ignorant comment yet. Thanks for the laugh.

Best ignorant comment yet. Thanks for the laugh.

Yes -your comment Is the "best ignorant comment yet."

A motorcycle or a cement mixer may seem like "different" things until there's an accident. It's "pilot error" that is the "big difference" in whether that vehicle (or that drone -whatever ilk it may be) is the main factor that causes a safety issue.

As another poster mentioned, the cruise line's ban is self-protection from self-proclaimed yet often inexperienced or idiotic operators of equipment that the cruise line has no way of knowing is in a safe-to-operate condition.

Buy the video.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Yes -your comment Is the "best ignorant comment yet."

A motorcycle or a cement mixer may seem like "different" things until there's an accident. It's "pilot error" that is the "big difference" in whether that vehicle (or that drone -whatever ilk it may be) is the main factor that causes a safety issue.

As another poster mentioned, the cruise line's ban is self-protection from self-proclaimed yet often inexperienced or idiotic operators of equipment that the cruise line has no way of knowing is in a safe-to-operate condition.

Buy the video.

And this is completely understandable. Because they don't know anything about operators it is safest to ban them from being used on board. They certainly are responsible for their passengers while aboard the ship.

I will either ship my drone to a holding location beforehand, rent one in port, not cruise in Hawaii, or not worry about it.

Not in NCL's mind, and you are not going to change that.

Lets say I have strong feeling on this subject. Banning drone use from the ship or around the ship it completely within their rights; however, where it's legal to fly a drone when I'm off the ship, I want to have that opportunity. Just like smoking in your room they could have a stiff fine for breaking their rules. Rules to keep it in a case while on the ship can be enforced.

Also some drones are getting hard to detect as the fold up quite small.

framer

I'd be surprised if they stopped my hover drone from coming on board or even notice it unless I use it.

But I understand their point. They really have 3 options, allow, ban or manage...

If they allow, we all know people will use them on ship (or try) and try to blame the line for ones that fall into the ocean etc (see chair hogs, smoking, choose your topic). Imagine if someone flies a drone to look in balcony windows (this has already been an issue at hotels, apartments even homes). Or what if the drone lands on a balcony in error. Now a staff member has to enter a cabin an extra time to retrieve it.

If they ban, they can disclaim any liability for use or other issues.

If they choose to manage (allowing people to check them in and out) they have to worry about both resources and liability (what happens if a drone gets damaged in storage or given to the wrong person, etc - if 3 or 4 people want to do it is viable, but if its 50? 100? starts to become a big deal). Someone would have to staff a 'drone' table at every port. And if a person violates port rules, who thinks they would blame the ship for not telling them?

There's no good solution, so they went with the one with the least liability and resources required....

Lets say I have strong feeling on this subject. Banning drone use from the ship or around the ship it completely within their rights; however, where it's legal to fly a drone when I'm off the ship, I want to have that opportunity. Just like smoking in your room they could have a stiff fine for breaking their rules. Rules to keep it in a case while on the ship can be enforced.

Also some drones are getting hard to detect as the fold up quite small.

framer