Best way to handle select dining on Summit?

cruisedancemom

Having never done select dining before, I was wondering if it helps to make reservations instead of just showing up for dinner. There will be 4 of us in our party.

And if we make reservations, do we do it before we sail or can we do it one the ship?

I guess it kind of defeats the purpose of select to make advance reservations, but I don't want to stand in line waiting for too long each night either.

Just looking for some tips on best way to do it. Also, can you make reservations that morning for the same night?

Thanks!

We generally make reservations for the first and second night. After that we just tell the hostess as we are leaving when we would like to dine the following night or 2.

The first night or so are rather chaotic so this approach reduces or eliminates any wait as things settle into a routine.

How do you reserve the first few nights? On the phone or is there another way?

Thanks for the tip[emoji2]

Logon to your Celebrity account. Go to manage reservation. Look for reserve dining. There you can reserve specialty dining in one of the restaurants or make reservations for select dining.

Hi we always book ahead on line as has been described. We book ahead for every night and then change whilst we are on board if we need to. If you enjoy the shows then take care that you book times which will fit and of course these are geared to first and second seating times ( 6.30?? and 8.30). We have also found that there may be 2 lines at the entrance to the dining room so look out for a short queue for those folks who have reservations. Having shared tables for many years and (with the exception of 1 occasion) had nice table companions we now book a table for 2. The tables are very close so sometimes we chat or sometimes one gets the vibe that people just want to eat quietly. Cheers

Thanks, you not only helped the OP, you've helped me too.

So, I'm adding select dining reservations on the Celebrity web site...how annoying! I want to do it for every night of our cruise so I have to select 1 night to place in my cart, put in the details, and check out -- and repeat for each night, so 7 times for a 7 day cruise.

It would be much easier to select each night, fill in the details, and place in my cart 7 times and check out once.

Oh well, at least it can be done without contacting their customer service. :rolleyes:

As I understand, the reservation is not a reservation, rather you are on the "list" for the next available table after you arrive, like some restaurants that let you call ahead. There have also been reports, as described above, that there are two lines, and that the lines alternate.

We have only done select once, and we eat late (think 8:30 to 9:15), so we had no waits whatsoever.

Ken

So, I'm adding select dining reservations on the Celebrity web site...how annoying! I want to do it for every night of our cruise so I have to select 1 night to place in my cart, put in the details, and check out -- and repeat for each night, so 7 times for a 7 day cruise.

It would be much easier to select each night, fill in the details, and place in my cart 7 times and check out once.

Oh well, at least it can be done without contacting their customer service. :rolleyes:

Just be thankful that it worked. Last night when I was checking to see my reservation and refreshing my memory on how to book it, I got a page error. Not uncommon for the website when booking excursions or reservations.

As I understand, the reservation is not a reservation, rather you are on the "list" for the next available table after you arrive, like some restaurants that let you call ahead. There have also been reports, as described above, that there are two lines, and that the lines alternate.

We have only done select once, and we eat late (think 8:30 to 9:15), so we had no waits whatsoever.

Ken

Personally I don't hold much faith in it. I booked at 8:00 which is usually a good time to just show up.

Just be thankful that it worked. Last night when I was checking to see my reservation and refreshing my memory on how to book it, I got a page error. Not uncommon for the website when booking excursions or reservations.

Yeah, I know...lots of threads/comments regarding how well/not well Celebrity's website works.

This seemed more like poor web page design vs. an IT issue (the problem you encountered) which seems to comprise the bulk of the website's problems.

Oops, my profession is slipping out...must stop...

Yeah, I know...lots of threads/comments regarding how well/not well Celebrity's website works.

This seemed more like poor web page design vs. an IT issue (the problem you encountered) which seems to comprise the bulk of the website's problems.

Oops, my profession is slipping out...must stop...

Please, volunteer to help; they need it

I discovered totally by accident that on the dining page in the cruise planner, there's a little tiny link that says "plan all cruise dining." If you click on it, you get a calendar showing every night of your cruise. You can make reservations for each night and then just check out once. It's made my life a lot easier since I stumbled upon it!

All these posts have been very helpful- 2 more questions please-

If you are traveling with people in another room, can you link your dining reservation with theirs?

What time do the evening shows typically start?

Thanking you again in advance[emoji1]

If you are traveling with people in another room, can you link your dining reservation with theirs?

Yes but you need the guests name and reservation number. It's in the same section Just pick a day and click on add guests and fill in the names and reservation number. I'm not sure of the show times. I remember going to the show at 7 and then walking over for dinner at 8. I'm not sure if times have changed. It's been 2 years since we were on the Summit.

Definitely do it ahead of time for Summit. We were 4 in May and were very happy to have the reservations. We got right into the dining room. Hopefully they will open up the downstairs also for Select. It was very, very cramped on the right side of the upper tier. One night we were taken to the other side (port) and it was much better. It was so crowded that we ate 2 nights in Normandie and 1 in Qsine (and we don't care for Qsine). We also "grazed" the buffet upstairs and loved that.

If you have problems with the web site, call Celebrity. We already did this or e-mail customer relations, give them your problem and we had an answer very quickly. Our dining times had not even opened as yet but I have a confirmation for our dining times for Eclips next April already.

Definitely need reservations for any time around 7:30 or 8:00. That seems to be the busiest dining time.

Good luck

PatC

Would a 7.15 booking let us get to the late show? Thanks

I found the this link on another thread. Looks like the shows are still at 7 and 9. You should make a 9:00 show if you are seated by 7:15.

http://the-hotline.net/Summit-Bermuda/

Definitely need reservations for any time around 7:30 or 8:00. That seems to be the busiest dining time.

Good luck

PatC

That makes sense since you are docked in Bermuda people tend to come back to the ship later unlike the usual 4:00 of 5:00 when the ship usually would leave port. Passengers tend to eat later on over night or late departure itineraries.

Personally, I find it defeats the purpose to reserve as we enjoy the flexibility of going when we are ready.

Of the 13 dinners we have attended ( one night specialty) we only really waited once and it was about 20 minutes while we enjoyed a glass of wine in the bar next door. We usually arrive between 7h30 and 8h00 pm.

Being just two this works for us. I would likely reserve if we were traveling with a group.