Frankfurt Connections

Dark Avenger

In April we are headed from Denver to Frankfurt (FRA) on Lufthansa then on to Venice also on Lufthansa (not a partner) both Terminal 1. We have 1.5 hours between flights and will have checked 2 bags in Denver. I assume we will have a immigration passport check, but the bags will just flow through without our carrying them and re-checking them. Anyone have experience with this type of US international connection - is 90 minutes enough time? Barring flight delays should we be alright? Any reason to expect another security check to slow us down?

A customs check will happen at Marco Polo - correct?

Comments / suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Have flown through FRA many times. 90 minutes is about the minimum (2 hours is better) commonly recommended here, as there is great possibility your plane will park at a remote parking stand, and you will be bused into the terminal.Yes you will check your bags through to Venice, and go through simple Customs there. But you need to go through Passport check in FRA.

I agree with cruiserbruce. I've "missed" a 90 minute connection for the exact reasons he mentions, The plane landed a little late, taxied for a long time finally stopping at a remote spot where we had to be bused to the terminal. Add to that security/customs and we got to our gate in time to see the plane being pushed out.

We were lucky that there was room on the next flight. If you choose to accept that routing, be sure to investigate your options in the event you miss your connection.

Yes, technically your bags would be routed through to VCE and that's where you go through customs. But in my experience, customs in Italian airports is pretty much a non-event. In Naples we kept following the signs and found ourselves outside, LOL. There was literally NO customs check whatsoever. And I don't recall that customs has been much more than that on the several times we've arrived in Rome.