Bringing Wine onboard

bobnjeff

Hi I am new to P&O. Can we bring on wine? How much? I usually sail Celebrity and they allow two bottles. Wondering what is allowed and can not seem to find it on P&Os website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I am new to P&O. Can we bring on wine? How much? I usually sail Celebrity and they allow two bottles. Wondering what is allowed and can not seem to find it on P&Os website.

Hi,

No problem with P&O, wine, beer spirits. With top up at ports if you want to. As long as you are not drunk when you board.

Hi,

No problem with P&O, wine, beer spirits. With top up at ports if you want to. As long as you are not drunk when you board.

Are there any limits or rules?

Hi bobnjeff, below is an answer on PO Cruises website. Hope it helps!

A:We will generally allow a small, reasonable amount to be taken on board for you to enjoy in your cabin, however taking bottles of alcohol into restaurants or lounges will incur a corkage fee of £15 (prices are subject to change) per item (any size) per occasion.

Should you wish to take alcohol on board to celebrate an event, the number of bottles you may take on will be at the port authorities' discretion and you will be charged a corkage fee.

We reserve the right to confiscate alcohol at the gangway, which will be returned to you at the end of your cruise. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will implement it only when we consider it is likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised.

There are a variety of bars on board each of our ships offering a range of beverages at competitive prices. Beverages can also be purchased in our restaurants and your cabin.

Regards,

Steve ( Golden Hind)

The limits are common sense. A couple of bottles of gin or whisky a few bottles of wine. Having said all that the prices on board are not bad at all. Ltr. of Gin on Arcadia was £20 last month. The biggest savings will be on wine.

• 1 month later...
I e-mailed PO on this .

Reply said we will be allowed to bring on 2 bottles each

What land side says and what the ship says rarely meet.

I always take a wine box on board. OH a bottle of whisky.

You can bring more on at each port no problem.

There would be problems if you brought cases on board, otherwise no.

It is only for in cabin consumption though. Not about the ship. If you take it into the MDR ,or select dining, there will be a £15 corkage fee.

Hi English lady

What size wine box do you take on

they only do 2.5/3 ltr boxes now ,don't they. I just wander round Sainsburys and pick the prettiest box with white wine in..as you can see I am not a wine snob.

We pack drink in the carry on luggage. I once put the wine box in a case that went through the hole in the wall..it was not a full case to pack around the box....I spent my first day washing clothes that rather reeked of wine!!!!!!

I am very appreciative of the P&O attitude towards bringing alcohol on board ( and the kettle in the cabin). It is what keeps bringing me back to P&O. What is more, the reasonable onboard prices mean that we can feel free to bother/not bother bringing our own alcohol with us.

Not that we are heavy drinkers so I don't really know why it annoys me to be dictated to and threatened with bag searching and confiscation on other cruise lines. Perhaps it goes back to my school days!

Edited by starryuk

I am very appreciative of the P&O attitude towards bringing alcohol on board ( and the kettle in the cabin). It is what keeps bringing me back to P&O. What is more, the reasonable onboard prices mean that we can feel free to bother/not bother bringing our own alcohol with us.

Not that we are heavy drinkers so I don't really know why it annoys me to be dictated to and threatened with bag searching and confiscation on other cruise lines. Perhaps it goes back to my school days!

The kettle in the cabin and the mature attitude towards alcohol - both in their pricing and personal consumption - are the main reasons we continue to cruise with P&O (the other is the absence of the enforced gratuity each time you purchase a glass of wine, etc). Small things they may seem, but as always in life, the devil is in the detail.

Incidentally, re: boxes of wine, it's possible to find 2.25 litres now which is 3 bottles; and M&S do a 1.5 litre pouch which is handy to squeeze into a tight space in a suitcase.

The kettle in the cabin and the mature attitude towards alcohol - both in their pricing and personal consumption - are the main reasons we continue to cruise with P&O (the other is the absence of the enforced gratuity each time you purchase a glass of wine, etc). Small things they may seem, but as always in life, the devil is in the detail.

Incidentally, re: boxes of wine, it's possible to find 2.25 litres now which is 3 bottles; and M&S do a 1.5 litre pouch which is handy to squeeze into a tight space in a suitcase.

Have to say I still go by how pretty the box is:p:p:p:p

Not sure about how much is in there, as they seem smaller than they used to be..I am still hard pushed to drink a box during a 14 night cruise...;)

• 8 months later...

We live in the South of France and can buy 10 litre boxes of wine from our local wine merchants , wonder if I could carry one of those on LOL:p

We live in the South of France and can buy 10 litre boxes of wine from our local wine merchants , wonder if I could carry one of those on LOL:p

So that would be 5 times the size of my wine box (approx.) well you could try...:eek:

Thing is as its for in cabin only could you drink that amount :eek: during a cruise..unless its a worldy I guess..

Me too; it seems that P and O are the only really civilised cruise line in this respect. Not that I can't smuggle my favourite tipple onto any ship; I've done it before. If they treat me like a naughty schoolgirl I behave like one!

But it is far nicer to be treated as a reasonable adult. I also appreciate being able to try a local wine or spirit when in port. Adds to the ambience drinking local stuff on the balcony! None of this stops me buying cocktails in the bars or wine with dinner.

Pand O also get more money out of me because of their policy; I pay extra (a lot extra when travelling solo) for a balcony whereas if I were forbidden to bring the gin on board for a G and T on the balcony I wouldn't pay for one! So their policy makes sense. I do hope they read our comments.

So that would be 5 times the size of my wine box (approx.) well you could try...:eek:

Thing is as its for in cabin only could you drink that amount :eek: during a cruise..unless its a worldy I guess..

No problem drinking it Haha , carrying it would be a problem , would weigh a ton and not fit in the fridge either;)

• 1 month later...
I was planning on going to Tesco on my way to the port to buy some drinks for the cabin. Can drinks be carried on in a decent shopping bag or do they need to be packed in hand luggage?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You can carry it aboard however you wish.put it through the scanner as you enter and that's it.

I take a wine box, as it fit neatly in a roll on, not too heavy, and I'm not actually carrying it.

You can carry it aboard however you wish.put it through the scanner as you enter and that's it.

I take a wine box, as it fit neatly in a roll on, not too heavy, and I'm not actually carrying it.

Okay, thanks. I'll put it in my hand luggage if there's room but at least I know I can carry it separately if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app