Herods Tour

jelayne

We too booked Herod's Land & Sea and just returned from our cruise a couple days ago. I would highly recommend this tour. Herod's guides were very professional, we saw much of this exotic Island by van (roads are very hilly and curvy but we loved it. Lunch was okay (but I don't care for Caribbean food), mud baths and waterfalls was a lot of fun. Snorkeling under the Pitons was nice, saw a spotted eel. The speed boat back to the ship was a hoot, loved it! We definitely got our money's worth for this full day tour and was highly satisfied.

Oh Herod's tour was one of the highlights of our Liberty cruise! Herod was our driver and gave lot's of info about the island and island life. We had plenty of opportunities to stop and take pics. His assistant Clyde did a fabulous job of holding our camera's and taking pics while we were covered in mud and in the water fall. Lunch at his mom's was delicious and the view spectacular! Snorkeling was the best with squid, sea cucumbers, anemone's, and lot's of different fish! Careful with the delicious rum punch.... it sneaks up on you:eek:! Fantastic day, would highly recommend!!

I have submitted on the webpage many time, emailed separately and called this morning. Nothing. I like the sound of this tour the best, but I guess I am going to have to look elsewhere.

When we booked, it took about three days before we heard back from him.

• 2 weeks later...

We did Herod's Land & Sea tour back in 2009, and still fondly remember it as a great tour and value for the day that we were in St. Lucia. We experienced all that was advertised. The home-cooked lunch at mom's was a real highlight.

I would highly recommend him and his tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Will - Your comments would be better received if you told us WHY you so dislike this tour/operator. Others have praised their experience with specific examples. You provide no examples to back up your statements. Please elaborate.

• 2 weeks later...

For onething they never offered the mud bath option... Jalouise beach is a joke they cram u in on oneside the beach chairs were all a piece of S#~T broken.. beer was warm food was bad I just telling you for the money we paid it was that bad had to stand or sit because there were no chairs... you can do what you want Iam just giving you some advice on this tour... the advice is stay away!

We just returned from this tour. It's the second time we used Herod (first time was probably 2008). Wonderful guide, refreshments flowing, the lunch was a real highlight. Boat back was WAY better than being in a van for the trip back to ship.

All the tour operators will tell you that the small section of Jalousie Beach is available to the public with the chairs. Yes, the chairs are broken down and people crammed in there. However, you are welcome to spread your towel anywhere on the white sand of that beautiful location. You just can't use the loungers at the resort unless you are a guest there. Plenty of room on the sand as most of the tour takers stay in the small section. Best snorkeling we did on our So Carib trip was at this location.

We walked through the volcano area as we had done the mud baths before and didn't care to repeat it. Others with us on our tour did the mud baths.

Highly recommend Herod to anyone traveling to St Lucia.

• 2 weeks later...

we went last November and did the jalousie beach break which was $65 a person and had 3 stops, endless drinks and a delicious lunch. I don't know how with those beautiful mountains and that gorgeous beach with the snorkeling, anyone can complain about the chairs. I guess perhaps we are more active people who like to snorkel and explore rather than sit in a chair all day. I know they don't offer Anse Chastenet anymore. The guys were so nice and great with my kids. I watched the other tours being steered like cattle. We had 9 people on our boat and we all had a great time. The only time it was crowded was when other tour boats would come in. They only would stay an hour and leave. I think us and Spencer's was there the longest (3 hours) and we shared lunch with them. And the lunch wasn't Le Bec Fin, it was an outside buffet of food that they had prepared in the am. There are many pictures online that show the food. The snorkeling was fantastic. Just swimming in the water looking at the Pitons was amazing. We didn't even had Herod as he had to handle his land and sea excursion but the two guides we had were professional and funny. I researched excursions for a long time from St. Lucia and I believe that this was the best one if you don't enjoy long car rides and love being in a speed boat and having fun snorkeling. I also look at it this way: I am on vacation and I can sit on my behind on the cruise ship. I will probably never get back to any of these islands in the near future as I only cruise 1x a year if lucky. I really could care less what the chair looks like or if the beer was warm. I am just happy I am not working as a nurse for a brief period of time.

Edited by jean87510

Went with Herod in May and loved every minute of it. He doesn't have any control over the condition of the chairs at the beach. Having both the vehicle for the first part and then the boat ride back to port was very nice. The lunch at his mother's house was very good.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a reservation for Herod's Land & Sea tour. It includes various situations where a swimsuit is appropriate, but other times when maybe not. Should I wear my swimsuit under my regular clothes or bring it with me to change when needed (and are there changing facilities)?

We wore our swimsuits under our clothes but there were bathrooms at the locations we went to so in theory you could change. There were often line ups for the bathrooms so I was happy to have mine already on!

The tour was great and we had so much fun!!

• 1 month later...
How long does it normally take to hear from Herod about getting a tour with him? I filled out the form on his website on thursday morning and friday night I e-mailed him and still have not gotten a response from him. Did you wait very long for response?

I had to try from a different email after not hearing from him. For some reason my Yahoo wasn't going through but he was able to reply to my comcast.

Possibly try another email if you have one.

I had to try from a different email after not hearing from him. For some reason my Yahoo wasn't going through but he was able to reply to my comcast.

Possibly try another email if you have one.

Thank you for the response. I just tried another one that I have and keeping fingers that he gets it. If not I will have to look elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

We had 10 of us on the tour coming off Carnival Liberty. Everyone in our group thought that Herod's tour was the highlight of the trip.

He met our group right out front of the cruise terminal. We had Felixia as our guide. She was great and very informative. Herod was accompanying/supervising the tour but was in another bus. The bus ride is long (over an hour) up and down winding roads. If you are prone to car sickness, take your usual precautions. You make a road side stop (literally pull over to the side of the road) next to a banana farm and look into the field and eat a banana. The guide talks about the banana industry.

From there you go to the waterfall. Even though Felixia warned us that the water was freezing, The water wasnt cold. Go in the water in Connecticut....THATS cold. Standing under the waterfall was fun. From there we went to the mudbaths. Yea its smells (sulfur) and it could stain your swimsuit, but where else are you going to take a goofy photo covered in mud? You wash the mud off in the adjacent hot pool.

From there it was off to eat. I think the mother owns a restaurant. You sit on the patio. Maybe she lives next door. The food was good. I drowned mine in the local Banana Ketchup.

Back in the bus the final time to get to the boat to go to the beach. Yea the public side of the beach has some ratty chairs. Once there you can layout anywhere. You are not quarantined to the little corner of the beach. If you want to snorkel, they will provide snorkel gear for a small fee. The snorkeling was pretty good.

Finally, back in the boat for a 45 minute trip back to the ship. Along the way, the boat captain makes a couple of brief stops to point out some things of interest.

Overall, highly recommended. Book with confidence. This was great.

We had 10 of us on the tour coming off Carnival Liberty. Everyone in our group thought that Herod's tour was the highlight of the trip.

He met our group right out front of the cruise terminal. We had Felixia as our guide. She was great and very informative. Herod was accompanying/supervising the tour but was in another bus. The bus ride is long (over an hour) up and down winding roads. If you are prone to car sickness, take your usual precautions. You make a road side stop (literally pull over to the side of the road) next to a banana farm and look into the field and eat a banana. The guide talks about the banana industry.

From there you go to the waterfall. Even though Felixia warned us that the water was freezing, The water wasnt cold. Go in the water in Connecticut....THATS cold. Standing under the waterfall was fun. From there we went to the mudbaths. Yea its smells (sulfur) and it could stain your swimsuit, but where else are you going to take a goofy photo covered in mud? You wash the mud off in the adjacent hot pool.

From there it was off to eat. I think the mother owns a restaurant. You sit on the patio. Maybe she lives next door. The food was good. I drowned mine in the local Banana Ketchup.

Back in the bus the final time to get to the boat to go to the beach. Yea the public side of the beach has some ratty chairs. Once there you can layout anywhere. You are not quarantined to the little corner of the beach. If you want to snorkel, they will provide snorkel gear for a small fee. The snorkeling was pretty good.

Finally, back in the boat for a 45 minute trip back to the ship. Along the way, the boat captain makes a couple of brief stops to point out some things of interest.

Overall, highly recommended. Book with confidence. This was great.

This sounds great but how were you able to reach him? I have filled the info on his website, used 2 different e-mails and just tried calling the number listed and it says it's not a valid #. As much as I want this tour with him, I am ready to look elsewhere.

I wouldn't try to call him as he was conducting the tour during the day.

I signed up for his tour via his website on Aug 3. He replied 5 days later on Aug 8. The email that he used when he replied to me was sluherod at gmail dot com

As a matter of fact, our ship had an itinerary change 2 days before sailing due to the 2 hurricanes in August. I emailed him from the pier during embarkation, he responded the next day.

I couldnt say why he is not responding to you.

Edited by jc811

Hey jc811, we are also booked with Herod for the end of Oct and looking forward to it. BUT, I wanted to ask. Have you lived in Milford long? It's my home town. We lived across the street from what used to be Milford High School, now the government center. I graduated MHS in '67.

I wouldn't try to call him as he was conducting the tour during the day.

I signed up for his tour via his website on Aug 3. He replied 5 days later on Aug 8. The email that he used when he replied to me was sluherod at gmail dot com

As a matter of fact, our ship had an itinerary change 2 days before sailing due to the 2 hurricanes in August. I emailed him from the pier during embarkation, he responded the next day.

I couldnt say why he is not responding to you.

Thanks for your help ! The e-mail that was given to me didn't have slu before herod. Tried the e-mail you shared and received a response. Thank you again !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our group of four is doing this tour with Herod in a couple of weeks. I'll try to remember to come back and post a review. Thanks to grobbins for answering my inquiry about the mud baths. I'm excited to see the volcano, but I'm not really interested in the mud baths. Glad there is the option to skip that.

We had a fabulous tour with Herod. I put together our group from our roll call. There were 19 of us. We had a great time. Having lunch at his mom's place, with a view of the pitons was amazing. We had time to do some snorkeling (or just swimming if preferred). It was an excellent tour.