lost luggage claim to Princess

mysaddlebred000

One of our bags never arrived at our cabin. Dropped off five bags when we boarded the ship. I was referred to property claims at Princess. I did ask for a letter stating the bag was lost and what they did to find it. I called princess and the rep said she would send the info to the property claims rep. Two months later I called this rep back and she was surprised that we had never heard anything. So, after three months, I did received a call and the woman offered $300. I said my wife had two formals in the bag plus many other items. She said that she needed an itemized list with all the receipts and I said my wife saves every receipt so I think it would take a little while but we would send all the information to her. It added up to just under $1000. I emailed everything to her. That was three months ago. About three weeks ago I called the original rep back and said I was wondering what the delay was and she checked and said the email was delivered. A hour later the property claims gal called and said she received my email and was looking at it. That is all she said.

I have a feeling they are not going to pay the entire amount so I will need to send it to the insurance company but I don't want to wait too long (it has been over 6 months) and I am sure they will want to know if I received anything from Princess.

How long has it taken others to receive any payment?

Thanks so much for any help.

Is your insurance through Princess or a third party? The limits are stated in your passage contract, $250 per bag but up to $1500/$3000 if using Princess standard/platinum protection.

You can open a claim file now, even though you don't yet have all the supporting documentation. It pays to stay on top of these things; document all conversations and don't let weeks go by without making further contact.

We left a bag (dive bag with snorkel, fins and some misc. items). We followed the procedure that was outlined to us and at first there was a bit of an attitude of "we'll get to it when we get to it". We knew the bag was left in the cabin and it was very distinctive so hard to believe it was lost. The ship was sailing on from FL to Europe and our bag sailed with it. We were told it would come back when the ship returned in the fall. This was all fine with us since we didn't need the items. But, even though they said they had it, all of a sudden they didn't and we needed to file a claim.

Like you, they asked us for an itemized accounting. We could tell them what was in it but we also told them things were not new, no receipts and we would accept whatever they felt was fair. Needless to say, we were very surprised and the generous amount they came back with. To replace everything it would probably have cost around what they sent us but frankly, I was a little embarrassed by the amount they sent us based on the condition of what was in the bag.

One funny thing is the last thing on the list we listed our two plastic glasses that we received for buying the soft drink package. One day we received a box in the mail from the Princess legal department and yes, they sent us two replacement glasses.

All in all, it took about 3 months to get this all straightened out but I can say that we were very happy with Princess and the results.

It does build loyalty because we booked a Celebrity cruise for April just to try something different and just last week my husband said he feels like he is being disloyal to Princess and maybe we should cancel with Celebrity.

Never had a bag go missing on the ship but did once see one of ours in front of a different cabin door. Someone in the past recommended taking pictures of everything going into each bag before you leave home. Also helps for airline processing.

Never had a bag go missing on the ship but did once see one of ours in front of a different cabin door. Someone in the past recommended taking pictures of everything going into each bag before you leave home. Also helps for airline processing.

Huh? A photo means next to nothing.......read the passenger contract for limits. . Just because you had a $1,000 in a suitcase means nothing without insurance.

Edited by blindrid

We had Celebrity lose two bags during the disembarkation process. It was a while back but as I recall, they paid us $200. We then had to file a claim with our travel insurance providing a list of what was in the bags. I was shocked at how much it added up to but they were both 30 inch bags. Insurance only paid a portion of what was lost and Celebrity customer service was the worst I have ever experienced. That was my last cruise with them.

Insurance only paid a portion of what was lost and Celebrity customer service was the worst I have ever experienced. That was my last cruise with them.

Insurance will usually only cover current depreciated value of what is lost.

A new $500 suit is worth $500. A five year old $500 suit may, in the insurance company's calculations, be worth less than $100.

Insurance will usually only cover current depreciated value of what is lost.

A new $500 suit is worth $500. A five year old $500 suit may, in the insurance company's calculations, be worth less than $100.

You mean my dirty underwear wasn't worth a fortune? :eek: Strangely enough they never asked how old the clothes were but there was a cap on what insurance would pay for lost luggage and that is what they paid.