Rome!

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and read how you could do it yourself. On his website he has free audio tours you can download to ipod/mp3 and maps you can print out to go along. Rome is a very walkable city or you could use buses and metro. Go on over to the Ports of Call boards here and check out the Italy board. EM

If you are visiting the Colosseum, Vatican and other similar sites pay attention to pre- ordering tickets that give you entry and allow you to skip the line. Licensed tour guides will usually get in ahead of most regular lines and those lines can be very long. If your budget allows definitely arrange for a tour guide. I'll see if I can find the company we used.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! Can someone give me some ideas of the best and easiest way of visiting Rome, we are a family of 6. We had thought of doing a private tour! Does anyone have any idea on prices for that Thanks

I have used Aim Limo Tour many times while visiting Rome, They are wonderful and I highly recommend them. I would suggest contacting them and they will give you ideas and pricing. Here is their Trip Advisor site. You can see reviews and photos from tours that I and many others have taken.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d2427835-Reviews-Aim_Limo_Rome_Tours-Rome_Lazio.html

Are you on a one day port stop or are you embarking there and have a few days? If you have a few days you can visit on your own with a guidebook. If it's a one day port stop it's probably worth doing a private tour.

Get a lot of information on Rome and how to get there from the port city by visiting the PORTS OF CALL board under EUROPE. You will find all kinds of fantastic information, reccommendations for private tour operators and what to see and what to skip. These boards are invaluable for information.

Europe forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Italy Ports:

Hi! Can someone give me some ideas of the best and easiest way of visiting Rome, we are a family of 6. We had thought of doing a private tour! Does anyone have any idea on prices for that Thanks

Hopefully, you figured out that a first time in Rome should always be at the start or end of your cruise. With at least three days there, you should be able to see and do plenty.

For the "long wait" antiquities and Vatican, advanced tix are essential and arranging for a "LICENSED" guide AND a driver (as needed) is the best way to avoid long lines and gain a better appreciation of what you are visiting. My suggestion is to contact the concierge of the hotel you'll stay at and have him/her arrange a full day with driver and guide for Rome and a half day with guide for the Vatican (which is an absolute must -even if you're not Catholic).

One other note: watch out for the swarm of gypsy kids, some with bandaged fingers (hiding the razor blade used to slit your pants pocket and drop your wallet to the ground).

Take the train from Civitavecchia to Rome. Have a walking tour guide meet you at the train from http://www.througheternity.com. See:

Spanish Steps

Fountain of 4 Rivers

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

Have lunch

take a taxi and see

Forum

Colloseum

Add anything else to the above list that you really want to see - they will figure out the route for you in advance. The guide will walk you to the train station near the Coliseum and help you find your train. It's much cheaper this way than taking a vehicle into Rome - around $75 pp. Worth every cent as the guide will maximize what you can see in one day and you get a real feeling of Rome.