Poll: Who should be Marina's godmum?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:59 AM.
Poll: Who should be Marina's godmum?
Poll Results
Who should be Marina's godmum?

Susan Sarandon
0.94%

Hilary Clinton
13.21%

Meryl Streep
27.36%

Kate Winslet
9.43%

Diane Sawyer
3.77%

Catherine Zeta-Jones
10.38%

Emma Thompson
3.77%

None of the above, my choice is noted below!
31.13%

Voters: 106.  You may not vote on this poll.

New Jersey
3,522 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
One of the hot topics at tonight’s “welcome to the Marina float-out” dinner (held at a gorgeous monastery on a hilltop overlooking Portofino) was: Who will be the ship’s godmother? (Thanks lyndenfa for asking the question here!). It seems that Oceania executives definitely have a short list – but are told it’s way too early to hone in on a choice (and given that Costa reportedly assigned the godmother of its Costa Deliziosa the night before this weekend’s christening, we’d agree that 11 months out might be too much planning).

However, there was a fun and spirited debate about possibilities. Basically, the only criteria was that the possible choice epitomize the Oceania vibe and target market (so we wound up with women who were relatively mature, which is not to say senior, and highly accomplished). So we ask: Which of the following possible godmothers would be your pick for Oceania’s Marina? Vote here – and if you have another suggestion, by all means let us know.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Santa Rosa, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Agree, Jan is the one who deserves it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ed & Frank

Sonoma for wine
Napa for auto parts

Send Ed a message

Future:
11/17 - Viking Sun to CUBA!

Past:

6/16 - Nautica -Copenhagen - London

5/15- Marina - Montreal-London: 2/15 Riviera-Yucatan; 7/14- Nautica - Iceland/Greenland; 5/14 Pride of America-Hawaii: 9/13 Nautica-Black Sea; 2/13-Nautica- Singapore/Hong Kong; 6/12 - Regatta - Transatlantic;10/11- Marina - Rome/Istanbul; 6/11 - Regent Navigator-Alaska-12/10-Insignia-Rio/Buenos Aires; 6/10- Maasdam-Montreal/Boston; 11/09- Insignia - Venice/Rome; 7/09- Regatta - GB/Norway; 3/09 - Nauticia - China; 11/08- Regatta - Transatlantic; 1/08 - Regatta - Panama Canal; 10/07 - Norw. Spirit - New England; 8/07 - Nauticia - Greece; 11/06 - MSC Lirica - Caribbean; 2/06- Celeb. Infinity - Caribbean; 8/06 - Insignia - Dover/Lisbon;8/05 - Regatta - Baltic
SW Florida
313 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
Well my vote goes to Marina Sirtis, aka Counselor Troi on the Star Trek, the Next Generation series from the 1990s.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Marina_Sirtis
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Smooth seas and happy cruising!

Henry & Pat
------------------------------------------------
Cruises:
Sep 2003/Regal Princess/Can-NE/NYC-to-Montreal
May 2005/Celebrity Constellation/Baltics/Dover RT
May 2006/HAL Rotterdam VI/E Med-Black Sea/Venice-to-Athens
May 2008/Sapphire Princess/Alaska SB/Whittier-to-Vancouver
Mar 2009/Celebrity Infinity/SA + Panama Canal/Valparaiso-to-Ft Lauderdale
Jun 2010/Oceania Nautica/ E Med-Holy Lands/Barcelona-to-Istanbul
Mar 2013/Oceania Riviera/W Carib/Miami RT
Jan 2016/Oceania Nautica/SE Asia/Hong Kong-to-Bangkok
UPCOMING Apr 2017/Oceania Marina/TA/ Miami-to-Lisbon
Channel Islands Beach, Calif.
2,837 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I agree with the vote for Lady Jan..if anyone put "O" on the water
by keeping the word alive even when it was only an interesting idea out of Miami.....
it would be her. But wait.. I have a more fabulous idea..just
to make it a first as is the large ship for Oceania..
I vote for all the folks who took the very ,very first Inaugural cruise on Oceania ... Regatta.... which means I can be a Godperson too..along with all 650 of us from that one.. which would make the photo hung on beautiful Marina a lovely Godfamily portrait..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
IF THE SHOE FITS......BUY THEM IN EVERY COLOR
Saint Lazare, Quebec, Canada
341 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by editor@cruisecritic
JanCruz is indeed fantastic!

Carolyn
We also vote for Jan Louisa and Michael
pdx
984 Posts
Joined May 2002
I don't know Jan, but am not excited by any of the names on the list either. I still like the idea of a public contest, as another cruise line did a few years ago. Great free publicity, (the winner was announced on one of the morning news shows), and the winner was a great humanitarian who appreciated and deserved the honor (and the free cruises for life).
Park Forest, Illinois (sub. chicago)
713 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by merryecho
I don't know Jan, but am not excited by any of the names on the list either. I still like the idea of a public contest, as another cruise line did a few years ago. Great free publicity, (the winner was announced on one of the morning news shows), and the winner was a great humanitarian who appreciated and deserved the honor (and the free cruises for life).
I don't know Jan either but her name is always recognized and respected on this board. I read the suggested requirements and wonder what the Oceania vibe means? I think I understand the target group all right. If movie stars qualify and TV personalities qualify and politicians qualify they seem to be more or less famous to most people who live in countries Oceania visits. Athough I voted for Meryl Streep (because she can be so many women), I think about Sophia Loren becaue she lives in Italy in addition to having been a great actress. So once again, what is the "Oceania vibe"? Thanks all.
GTA, Ontario, Canada
32,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Who are the Godmothers of the current ships?

Any of those in the poll ever even sailed Oceania?
Or even heard of them?
Santa Rosa, CA
1,129 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Having sailed on all three ships we have never recognized any of the godmothers. I presumed they were wives of executives but there was no explanation with their pictures.
As to the suggestion of Sophia Loren. she is already the godmother of the MSC ships.
Jan is well known in the business and among those who sail Oceania regularly.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ed & Frank

Sonoma for wine
Napa for auto parts

Send Ed a message

Future:
11/17 - Viking Sun to CUBA!

Past:

6/16 - Nautica -Copenhagen - London

5/15- Marina - Montreal-London: 2/15 Riviera-Yucatan; 7/14- Nautica - Iceland/Greenland; 5/14 Pride of America-Hawaii: 9/13 Nautica-Black Sea; 2/13-Nautica- Singapore/Hong Kong; 6/12 - Regatta - Transatlantic;10/11- Marina - Rome/Istanbul; 6/11 - Regent Navigator-Alaska-12/10-Insignia-Rio/Buenos Aires; 6/10- Maasdam-Montreal/Boston; 11/09- Insignia - Venice/Rome; 7/09- Regatta - GB/Norway; 3/09 - Nauticia - China; 11/08- Regatta - Transatlantic; 1/08 - Regatta - Panama Canal; 10/07 - Norw. Spirit - New England; 8/07 - Nauticia - Greece; 11/06 - MSC Lirica - Caribbean; 2/06- Celeb. Infinity - Caribbean; 8/06 - Insignia - Dover/Lisbon;8/05 - Regatta - Baltic
San Francisco, CA USA
1,492 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Is there really any need for a 'godmother' of a ship? What is their purpose after the launch?