Future cruise deposit

Ricky Chan

Can someone tells me what is the incentive to put down deposit ($750.00 each?)for future cruise of unknow date (perhaps few years from now)?

Thanks.

Ricky

You can buy your future cruise certificate on board only of any Oceania cruise. In case you don't like any particular cruise available for booking while you are sailing, you will have two full years to book your future cruise. You will then receive the same 5% on board discount when you book later. The discount is from the full price of the cruise you select at the time of booking.

You may not want to buy your future cruise deposit certificate if you feel that you can get better return on the money you have to deposit two years in advance elsewhere.

Can someone tells me what is the incentive to put down deposit ($750.00 each?)for future cruise of unknow date (perhaps few years from now)?

Thanks.

Ricky

The incentive is usually to get the Onboard Booking Discount (5% and up, depending on demand) applied to a sailing date that is so far in the future that the specifics have not been announced yet.

2014-calendar.jpge93fafc8-b05f-4685-bdd3-8a7b2dcf9012.jpg

While on board last year, the Ocean Ambassador figured a gimmick to allow one to book a cruise you didn't want and then transfer the on board credit to a cruise you did want later.

My guess is that device screwed up the bookings so much that Oceania decided to allow the future certificate.

5% discount yes. We were on Nautica in January but the 2013 cruises were not out. So the future cruise deposit was made and we received an extra 5% when we booked in March. Note-- these are transferable to your TA so you also get his discount (or OBC) too.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

June's sailing will be our first time with Oceania. But our planned next cruise with O won't occur until 2017. So is it worth to buy future cruise certificate? Because it will expire in two years, I have to keep booking a phantom cruise, cancel it and rebook another phantom one until the real one five years from now in 2017.

Ricky

The rule before the change was made to Future Cruise Credits was that you could transfer the booking once and still receive the 5%. I'm not sure if that's still in effect, but I suspect it is.

Also, it's worth noting that after you sail Oceania once, you auomatically receive a $200 certificate towards a future cruise, after each cruise you complete. It has a fairly short duration, but it can be applied retroactively to a cruise that is already booked. When you take the 5% discount for an onboard booking, you give up the $200 certificate -- it's an either one or the other. Because the certificate is per cabin, not per person, if you are a couple it's essentially either $100 per person or 2.5% per person. Doing the math, that means that the cruise you select must be at least $4,000 per person or you will lose money. For example, if you select an inside for $3,500 per person, the 2.5% is just $87.50 -- you'be better off with the automatic certificate. If you select a concierge for $6,000 per person, the discount becomes $150 per person, so you're $50 better off than you were with the Ocfania Club certificate ($100 better off per couple).

The Oceania Club ambassador on board, with whom you make a future cruise decision, will go over these numbers with you and prevent you from making a mistake.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

June's sailing will be our first time with Oceania. But our planned next cruise with O won't occur until 2017. So is it worth to buy future cruise certificate? Because it will expire in two years, I have to keep booking a phantom cruise, cancel it and rebook another phantom one until the real one five years from now in 2017.

Ricky

if you are sure it will not be until 2017 I would save my money ...a lot can happen before 2017

YMMV

if you are sure it will not be until 2017 I would save my money ...a lot can happen before 2017

YMMV

We cruise mostly with Celebrity. Oceania has two itineraries that I really like (besides the one in June of this year), but the timing is not right for me, both are in March or April of the year, and that is the business time of my work. Therefore I have to wait until after my retirement in 2016.

I will definitely consult with Oceania Club Ambassador in June while on board.

Ricky

The rule before the change was made to Future Cruise Credits was that you could transfer the booking once and still receive the 5%. I'm not sure if that's still in effect, but I suspect it is.

Also, it's worth noting that after you sail Oceania once, you auomatically receive a $200 certificate towards a future cruise, after each cruise you complete. It has a fairly short duration, but it can be applied retroactively to a cruise that is already booked. When you take the 5% discount for an onboard booking, you give up the $200 certificate -- it's an either one or the other. Because the certificate is per cabin, not per person, if you are a couple it's essentially either $100 per person or 2.5% per person. Doing the math, that means that the cruise you select must be at least $4,000 per person or you will lose money. For example, if you select an inside for $3,500 per person, the 2.5% is just $87.50 -- you'be better off with the automatic certificate. If you select a concierge for $6,000 per person, the discount becomes $150 per person, so you're $50 better off than you were with the Ocfania Club certificate ($100 better off per couple).

The Oceania Club ambassador on board, with whom you make a future cruise decision, will go over these numbers with you and prevent you from making a mistake.

Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely consult with the Oceania Club Ambassador while on board in June.

Ricky

I have a question. We cruised with O' in July 2008 (14 days) and I will cruise again in July 2012 so how can I get the $200 certificate?. Thanking you in advance for your reply

I have a question. We cruised with O' in July 2008 (14 days) and I will cruise again in July 2012 so how can I get the $200 certificate?. Thanking you in advance for your reply

You should have received a certificate after your 2008 voyage, but whether you did or did not is immaterial at this point, because they expire within a few months.

It is not the kind of promotion that can be carried over for four years.

You should have received a certificate after your 2008 voyage, but whether you did or did not is immaterial at this point, because they expire within a few months.

JimandStan. Hi. You said above that the certificate should have been received after the 2008 cruise for this passenger. Could you tell me how it is delivered i.e. onboard to my cabin, emailed (by who) or posted or sent through a TA. As you know or can see I have done 6 "O" cruises in the last 3 years with my next 2 in June on Riviera and have never received a certificate with any discount towards another cruise. I have received the 5% when I have booked onboard. Also if doing B2B does one get 2 certificates to use on their next 2 cruises. I don't imagine they can both be used on 1 cruise.

Thank you for your help (again).

Rhonda

The certificates are mailed by Oceania and generally arrive within a few days of returning home from a cruise. Their Value is in American Dollars, which perhaps explains why you, as an Australian, do not receive them.

As has been stated, one may either use the Certificate discount of $200, OR take the 5% discount for booking on board. They are not combinable.

Although I understand that it is theoretically possible, I have never booked a cabin where the $200 was anywhere NEAR the value of the 5% discount, so you may already be ahead of the game.

Back to Back Cruises should earn one Certificate for each segment, unless the cruises were already combined and discounted as a "Grand Voyage".

Hope that this Helped :D

...Back to Back Cruises should earn one Certificate for each segment, unless the cruises were already combined and discounted as a "Grand Voyage".

One generally earns a 5% discount for the second cruise on a back to back, and like the onboard booking discount, it's in lieu of the $200 certificate for the first leg. Either/or but not both -- the $200 certificate is the one "offer" that cannot be combined with the 5% discount.

Their Value is in American Dollars, which perhaps explains why you, as an Australian, do not receive them.

I guess that we would be in front re the 5% when booking on board but 3 of the past cruses were booked via our TA. This is the really funny (not) part. We have to pay in US $ and the pricing is always given to us in US regardless of where we book i.e. on board or through our TA-then the middle TA - then to Oceania (Aust agent.) It is so frustrating as you and I have discussed many times. We just finished up paying what they asked as the stress of it all was getting us down. We got no compensation for the 3 cancelled cruises we had originally booked even though we received the letter from Oceania stating we would. Well should I say we don't think we got it but how would we know without seeing an amended invoice?????

Thanks guys and I hope you enjoy "your ship". I am sure we will have a great time when we finally get on board on June 5th. Looking forward to all your reports and pictures.

Did I get it? Post #2 wrote that it is a 5 % discount from the full price. For ex: my future cruise is for one person $3197 (not the price of full brochure fare but early booking fare I think that nobody pays the full brochure price) so 5% discount is $159.85 and if it is 2.5% as you wrote it would be $3197 X2.5%=$79.92.

Another math if it is for the total of the cruise for me and my husband 3197X2=$6394 X5%=319.70 so which one is the correct amount of discount?

Here is what we received on our invoice after booking a Riviera cruise while on the Naurica:

Fare: 2 x $6754 = $13,508

Bonus Discount: 2 x $1,000 = $2,000

5% Discount: .05 x $11,508 = $575.40

Cruise Grand Total: $10,932.60

We also received an OBC of $200 for being Bronze Oceania Club members and $200 from our TA.

Hope this helps.

Don

Here is what we received on our invoice after booking a Riviera cruise while on the Naurica:

Fare: 2 x $6754 = $13,508

Bonus Discount: 2 x $1,000 = $2,000

5% Discount: .05 x $11,508 = $575.40

Cruise Grand Total: $10,932.60

We also received an OBC of $200 for being Bronze Oceania Club members and $200 from our TA.

Hope this helps.

Don

Thanks a lot for your explanation it is really help me and thanks to LHT28 too. We will cruise in July 2012 and we have booked another cruise on the Riviera Feb 2013 and we have already received the invoice so do you think we could have the 5% discount retro if we go to see Oceania ambassador when we will be onboard

Thanks a lot for your explanation it is really help me and thanks to LHT28 too. We will cruise in July 2012 and we have booked another cruise on the Riviera Feb 2013 and we have already received the invoice so do you think we could have the 5% discount retro if we go to see Oceania ambassador when we will be onboard

Worth asking them

If your cabin Cat is available they will probably give you the discount

Enjoy the cruise

Yes, you will get the 5% discount retro because we did it on our cruise on the Insignia in February. We were already booked on the Marina for February 2013 before we went on the last cruise. Go see the Ambassador as soon as you can, she will contact Oceania for you and you will receive a letter in your cabin telling you that you are entitled to the 5%. Just make sure you let your travel agent know about it when you return home to ensure that Oceania does follow through with the discount.

The key is that your cabin category still has to be available for sale. So absolutely see the ambassador as soon as possible, especially if the discount applies to an upcoming cruise that is close at hand.

Archived