UK Travel Insurance for Cruises... who do you go with?

Seraphine

We have a *name of popular UK insurance company* yearly family policy but it wants additional money to add cruising as an activity (we didn't realise it wasn't covered before).

So we're shopping for some new options - who do you use? We have a few medical issues to declare and that always drives the price up, but if anyone has a tip on a good company I'd be glad to hear it.

Thank you!

We go through a diabetic charity, to see what they recommend. I've heard that cancer sufferers can go through the Macmillan charity to see which insurers are recommended there. We also look at Saga, as we're old-ish, and check out the supermarkets ( Mum-in Law swears by Tesco since she hit 90!).

Jo.

We have a *name of popular UK insurance company* yearly family policy but it wants additional money to add cruising as an activity (we didn't realise it wasn't covered before).

So we're shopping for some new options - who do you use? We have a few medical issues to declare and that always drives the price up, but if anyone has a tip on a good company I'd be glad to hear it.

Thank you!

hi Seraphine, we have just returned from a 65 day cruise and we chose Insure and Go .They covered us for all our ailments at very little extra cost.We initially booked a 90 day policy, but before it came in to force realised it did not give adequate cancellation cover.We phoned them up and they repaid us all our money and sold us an annual policy that matched our requirements for less money than the original policy ......d&k

:D Excellent tips everyone - thank you!

Yes, we've been cruising for 4 years on a policy that supposedly doesn't include cruises. Whoops. Thank God we've never needed to make a claim - it was supposed to be for worldwide travel, and I don't recall anyone mentioning cruises as an extra when we took the policy out (several years before our first cruise.) So, if in any doubt, check your paperwork!

We're a family of 4, with two young children. Last year I was diagnosed with asthma, and it was an additional £90 to add that to my policy (which I did as asthma is something that can go pear-shaped very quickly, and it's nothing to fool around with... no point going and saying, "oh, it will be fine") But when I added it, the customer service rep mentioned how my policy didn't cover cruises, so I knew I'd have to go shopping pronto.

I'll make some calls on Monday and set something up with one of the companies you've recommended. I knew you'd have the right answers for me!

I have spent the weekend looking for travel/cruise insurance for my son who has Crohns. Before he was diagnosed last year we had insurance with Amex through my Platinum card but they have changed their rules so now I have to find insurance elsewhere and oh boy the quotes are quite scarey :eek:

The insurance offered by my bank account only covers Europe not USA.

We are also with a High Street Bank and get Worlwide Travel with the Account. I have looked through the Policy many times and never noticed it say No Cover for Cruises. Going to the Safe for a proper look now, will inform you if I come across the words no cover. We will then need to visit the Bank to sort it out.

we also used insured and go.

I have a complex medical history but they covered us for the illness I could be prone to, and all the other ailments that could be associated with it.

Thik we paid about £40 pp for a one off trip.

Could give Atlas Insurance a whirl, they are underwritten by AXA, they have a list of conditions

which are automatically covered and do not have to be declared if you go to their website should be

in the policy wording,they cover Cruising as standard

www.atlasdirect.co.uk

Mrs Blue Sky

Just about to recommend these, have used them for years now and never any problem. We don't have any existing conditions though, so don't know what they're like for that.

I just caught an advert on day time telly (the ones that you just ignore, normally!), but it was saying that they covered for various ailments, cancer, diabetes etc, so it made me look up and watch....if anyone happens to see it, it might be worth looking into.

Jo.

Yes, we've been cruising for 4 years on a policy that supposedly doesn't include cruises. Whoops. Thank God we've never needed to make a claim - it was supposed to be for worldwide travel, and I don't recall anyone mentioning cruises as an extra when we took the policy out (several years before our first cruise.) So, if in any doubt, check your paperwork!

How did you actually find out that your insurance didn't cover cruises?

Liverpool Victoria have Cruise Travel Insurance

http://www.lv.com/insurance/travel_insurance/useful-information/hints-and-tips/cruise-travel-insurance/?cid=LVTravel/PPC/google/Activity/Paused/cruise_travel_insurance/broad&sourcecode=WUHQ&targetgroup=lvppc&telephone=0800%20066%205302

Just checked our annual, worldwide insurance obtained through our bank (or at least, she who must be obeyed has checked). No specific mention of cruising as a separate issue, although some activities such as skiing and scuba diving are - and both covered within reason.

More entertaining, however, is the fact that apparently we are suitably covered for elephant riding, provided this has been booked through our tour operator, and is for recreation purposes and not as a means of transport.:D

I just caught an advert on day time telly (the ones that you just ignore, normally!), but it was saying that they covered for various ailments, cancer, diabetes etc, so it made me look up and watch....if anyone happens to see it, it might be worth looking into.

Jo.

yes called staysure-just got policy with them because of the medical conditions covered

yes called staysure-just got policy with them because of the medical conditions covered

Thanks- I'm so used to tuning out the adverts, but that did sound interesting.;)

Jo.

I was right my local bank TSB (ok to mention) if not the one with the Black Horse, we have a Platinum Account and get benefits, World Wide Cover is one, unlimited trips. Cruising IS covered, I also have to mention medical ailments.

We have our insurance via the co-op bank, they have refused to cover me for our next cruise, as I'm having ongoing tests, when I rang them up I assumed that they would cover me for everything else. Have had to take insurance out elsewhere.

Another vote for Annual Insure and Go here !!! Good Price & Good Cover....

We used to be Annual with Direct Travel Insurance - but the premium just shot up this year so we swapped to I & G !!!

Hope this helps...

I bank with Nationwide and have european travel insurance provided by them. I called to ask about my Mediterranean cruise and was told it is covered. To convert it to a world policy is £20 a year.

I bank with Nationwide and have european travel insurance provided by them. I called to ask about my Mediterranean cruise and was told it is covered. To convert it to a world policy is £20 a year.

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to know:)

I have spent the weekend looking for travel/cruise insurance for my son who has Crohns. Before he was diagnosed last year we had insurance with Amex through my Platinum card but they have changed their rules so now I have to find insurance elsewhere and oh boy the quotes are quite scarey :eek:

The insurance offered by my bank account only covers Europe not USA.

I have had Crohns for 18 years and found the special medical insurers to be getting rather expensive. I got a leaflet from my local post Office and am now insured through them and they don't even have Crohns as a condition they worry about. In fact my policy is the normal insurance without any additional excess.

I have had Crohns for 18 years and found the special medical insurers to be getting rather expensive. I got a leaflet from my local post Office and am now insured through them and they don't even have Crohns as a condition they worry about. In fact my policy is the normal insurance without any additional excess.

Thank you, I will look into that today :D

It is less than a year since my son was diagnosed so we are still in the learning stage, best wishes to you and take care.

Thank you, I will look into that today :D

It is less than a year since my son was diagnosed so we are still in the learning stage, best wishes to you and take care.

It is a learning curve, a friend of mine who was diagnosed at 17 and is now 57 tells me she still finds new things. May I suggest the website of NACC.org where there is some very good information.

It is a learning curve, a friend of mine who was diagnosed at 17 and is now 57 tells me she still finds new things. May I suggest the website of NACC.org where there is some very good information.

My son spent a few hours of his 23rd birthday last week in hospital having his Infliximab infusion which he now gets every 6 weeks. His consultant says he will work out the Infliximab dates so my son can cruise later in the year. He is Lactose Intolerant too so his diet is bit tricky sometimes but hey we are getting there.

I figured that with the year he has had he really deserves and needs a cruise in December :D

Thanks for info on NACC site :D

I am just at this moment studying the Post Office travel insurance leaflet and their website.

Archived