Has the ship ever sailed without you?

Jersey42

Whenever I read a thread on shore excursions, someone usually reminds us that Princess will hold the ship if one of their excursions is delayed. If you are delayed for any other excursion or on-your-own travel, you are out of luck. So I know, there are people who have a real fear of missing the ship.

In my many cruises, I usually do third party excursions, or some touring on my own, often using public transportation. I have never come close to missing the ship. I do make sure my watch matches ships time and I often give myself an extra 30-60 minutes to get back, just in case. The only time I book a ship excursion, because of concern that I might miss the ship, is when the excursion travels a long distance from the ship and it is not expected to get back until all aboard time. Even then, I have often done things on my own without even a close call.

I have seen people returning late to the ship. Sometimes they make it, and sometimes they do not. I have also occasionally heard stories of people not making it. In the cases where I have been able to find out some of the details, it has always been due to the wrong time on their watch, and/or too many drinks in a local watering hole.

So who here has missed the ship, or had a close call? Can you share what happened? I am not too interested in people missing the ship at the embarkation port, but if there is a good story, please share.

Princess does not guarantee they will hold the ship if a tour is late. There are times when they cannot wait. What the guarantee is that if you are left behind due to one of their tours running late they will get you to the next port.

We have taken many private tours and never missed the ship. We have never gotten back o late that we were worried that we might miss it.

We've personally seen A> People left standing on the dock waving and screaming (last port before disembarkation in the Med, never heard what happened, and B> People who actually managed to talk themselves aboard the pilot boat to get onboard, brave souls!

In general, I have seen that if there are issues affecting private tours, like traffic, they affect ship tours to. It's been my observation that those coming late or missing ships are not on private tours but in fact either chose to do a little extra shopping or drinking and either lost track of time or didn't synchronize watches.

DH and I like to listen for the announcements after boarding hour. "Mrs. Blandy Gorsbush, Aloha 400, please call passenger services." That's when you know it's just about time to sail. On our 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess, it never happened. All those elite knew when it was time to board after a day in port. :D

Once in Ensenada, we were in Skywalkers watching as some girls came running, waving their arms, while a couple of others were dragging an obviously drunk companion with them. The workers were in the process of pulling in the gangway, but stopped so these crazies could get on. We knew all their names since the PA system had made at least three calls for them. It was great entertainment.

There are several Youtube videos of people missing or nearly missing the ship. One of the best ones was a really drunk group of people - one who was in in a wheelchair and couldn't walk because he was so drunk. Another one, a drunk friend was trying to carry and even more drunk friend.

We refer to this in our planning process as 'be back aboard in time for the 'running of the passengers'. Especially fun if our balcony is portside :)

DH and I like to listen for the announcements after boarding hour. "Mrs. Blandy Gorsbush, Aloha 400, please call passenger services." That's when you know it's just about time to sail. On our 50th Anniversary cruise on the Pacific Princess, it never happened. All those elite knew when it was time to board after a day in port. :D

Once in Ensenada, we were in Skywalkers watching as some girls came running, waving their arms, while a couple of others were dragging an obviously drunk companion with them. The workers were in the process of pulling in the gangway, but stopped so these crazies could get on. We knew all their names since the PA system had made at least three calls for them. It was great entertainment.

Part 1

Casablanca/ Marrakech, Morocco

And here is where the trouble begins...

We always attempt to book private tours as much as possible. This had worked to our favor in numerous occasions, especially with my mom who has moderate mobility issues.

Upon disembarking the Spirt, we met up with our travel companions, K and M. They graciously invited us to share their excursion that they booked with Oscar C. Oscar comes highly recommended on both Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor.

Once we met up with Oscar, we headed out of Casablanca toward Marrakech. We did stop at the Hussein Mosque, and it was beautiful. What I find amazing is this is a newer construction with many modern features. They did maintain the integrity of the architecture, though, and at first glance one would never know it is less than 25 years old.

As we proceeded toward Marrakech, we were surprised at the changing landscapes. There were farmer's fields and desert; flat planes and small mountains; green pastures and red sands. It was beautiful. When we arrived in Marrakech, we were taken to the Kasbah, then a Riyad, to lunch (which I did not love), and to a Souk. Somewhere in the middle of the our trip, we ran into a ships tour, and they informed us that we would be departing early (7 pm instead of 11 pm). This guide seemed so unsure of her information, that we were not totally convinced. I called NCL in New Jersey to verify, and they said that "all aboard" was 10:30 pm. Still, with 4 adult women, we began to get a little nervous, so we asked our guide to cut the last shopping stop and head back. Better early than late! Right????

On our way back to Casablanca, we stopped to ride camels. I, of course, got the ornery camel. I managed to stay on and safe. Though, after this experienve, I am newly inspired to purchase the Suzanne Sommer's Thigh-Master~ It takes some extraordinary inner thigh control to stay on one of those beasts. We completed our camel ride without accident or incident! I was super grateful that no one was spat upon by the humpy-backed beast. I planned to do camel rides in two ports, but I am good. I can check that off my bucket list and call it a day!

We made our way back to Casablanca only to be met with 7 pm rush hour traffic. It took us (no exaggeration) 14 cycles to clear one light. As we drew closer to the the port, the tension in the car mounted. Would the ship still be in port? Did the ship's excursion travel guide have the correct information? Did NCL in New Jersey have the correct information?

As we entered "Gate 1", at 7:45, we all exhaled at the sighting of the Spirit! Once our guide and driver dropped us at the stern of the ship, I began to roll my mother toward the gangway. I did notice a conspicuous lack of people on the dock, but just thought that was due to the rain.

As I approached the gangway, we were converged upon by many, many crew members. They literally picked my mother up, wheelchair and all, and carried her over the gangway onto the ship. I was right behind her, and what I spotted next was absolutely heart stopping. The senior crew was lined up in two rows waiting for us. Upon seeing me, the Senior Deck Officer exclaimed, "Dr. Tracie! We are so happy to see you!". Mind you, this is before they scanned my card. There were many hugs and handshakes. I was then pulled aside by security and they did what every cruiser most dreads....

Part 2

The Unthinkable...

...Security pulled me aside to hand me an envelope containing the contents of my safe. Cash, credit cards, passports. I was stunned. And I also knew what this meant. We almost missed the ship.

We learned from our Concierge, that due to severe storms and very, very high seas, that there was a short window of opportunity to get out of port in Casablanca, which meant leaving 4 hours earlier than originally scheduled. They made every attempt to contact us and others on private excursions, but if they did not leave the port by 9 pm. They would not be able to leave for at least one day.

In preparation, they did make arrangements with the Port Agent to help us to find our way to Madeira, but that would be two days away. I feel extremely fortunate that finding my way to Madeira by land/air is not NOT a part my story.

And that is when the impact settles in... We are the "Bing Bong People",

(What are "bing bong people, you ask???) On every cruise in port, there are always a couple of people who arrive late, causing the the crew to send out an all call that sounds like this, "Bing...Bong... Will Mr. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe of stateroom 1234 please contact Passenger Services immediately." I have so many items on my bucket list, but Bing Bong person was never one of them. As a matter of fact, I had just said to my husband 2 weeks prior, " I would die of embarrassment if I were ever one of the Bing Bong people". He agreed. We laughed a little. I am such a prompt person, I did not think this could happen to me. But it did. I would like to personally apologize to all of my fellow passengers for holding up the boat. I feel like I should wear a shroud of shame- so everyone will know who the Bing Bong person of Casablanca is. Thankfully, I do not have to do this.

This makes me think twice about private tours. I am a pretty experienced cruiser, with lots of private excursions under my belt, and this was one gamble I almost lost. Just a thought.

Ironically, we were not the last people to board. There was another group of 4 that they did not board. I am not sure if they made it back or not, as the ship departed at 8:55 pm, a full 2 hours and 5 minutes early. I will check around and try to let you kind readers know.

We ate in the suite as the ship left port and then the rolling began...

Part 2

The Unthinkable...

...Security pulled me aside to hand me an envelope containing the contents of my safe. Cash, credit cards, passports. I was stunned. And I also knew what this meant. We almost missed the ship.

We learned from our Concierge, that due to severe storms and very, very high seas, that there was a short window of opportunity to get out of port in Casablanca, which meant leaving 4 hours earlier than originally scheduled. They made every attempt to contact us and others on private excursions, but if they did not leave the port by 9 pm. They would not be able to leave for at least one day.

In preparation, they did make arrangements with the Port Agent to help us to find our way to Madeira, but that would be two days away. I feel extremely fortunate that finding my way to Madeira by land/air is not NOT a part my story.

And that is when the impact settles in... We are the "Bing Bong People",

(What are "bing bong people, you ask???) On every cruise in port, there are always a couple of people who arrive late, causing the the crew to send out an all call that sounds like this, "Bing...Bong... Will Mr. John Doe and Mrs. Jane Doe of stateroom 1234 please contact Passenger Services immediately." I have so many items on my bucket list, but Bing Bong person was never one of them. As a matter of fact, I had just said to my husband 2 weeks prior, " I would die of embarrassment if I were ever one of the Bing Bong people". He agreed. We laughed a little. I am such a prompt person, I did not think this could happen to me. But it did. I would like to personally apologize to all of my fellow passengers for holding up the boat. I feel like I should wear a shroud of shame- so everyone will know who the Bing Bong person of Casablanca is. Thankfully, I do not have to do this.

This makes me think twice about private tours. I am a pretty experienced cruiser, with lots of private excursions under my belt, and this was one gamble I almost lost. Just a thought.

Ironically, we were not the last people to board. There was another group of 4 that they did not board. I am not sure if they made it back or not, as the ship departed at 8:55 pm, a full 2 hours and 5 minutes early. I will check around and try to let you kind readers know.

We ate in the suite as the ship left port and then the rolling began...

Wow. That's quite a story. I'm very glad you were able to make it back on the ship in time.

Great story, Dr. Tracie! Yes, it's "bing bong." I'll remember that.

Thanks-

We found out that because, NCL changed the all-aboard time, that it was not our fault. We left the ship at 8 am. At that time, the all-aboard time was 10:30 pm for an 11 pm departure. At noon, the captain received the warning of the pending storm and made the decision to depart by 9 pm- with an even earlier departure if necessary. All aboard was changed to 7 pm. Most people were on ship's tours so they just contacted the vendors to return early.

We found out later in cruise, that while they were waiting for us to return, they had put a hold on first class plane tickets and a 5 star hotel room in Madiera. They assumed full responsibility because they had changed the boarding time.

It thought that was a very generous touch.

Tracie, loved your story! Now we have a name for "late arrivals back on ship". We have watched many people running for the ship, even when the shipped has pushed away from the dock! My husband and I are always early, and we would just "die" if we were to miss the ship! Once in Greece, the crew had suggested that we take a taxi to the other side of the island where it was very quiet. The taxi left and we had no idea how we were going to get back to the port. We went to small shop and they called one for us, so I ended up buying some really junk jewelry and terrible wine as a tribute to them. Not a fun excursion!! Way too much stress for us! However, we still do mostly private tours or a rental car for us.:D

Never been left and never saw a person left by Princess but did see a couple of ladies left by Carnival in Cozumel. The ship's horn was blowing and down at the end of the pier you could see this couple of ladies taking their own sweet time. The Princess gang plank was already up and no calls for people to call passenger services so figure the ladies had to be on the Carnival ship. We watched as the Carnival gang plank was pulled in and the ship began to move away from the pier. Guess that is when the leisurely walking ladies realized what the horn was for. They began running but if you have been to Cozumel you know that it is a long run. Found out later that the Carnival ship was 45 minutes late laving. We left shortly after that and the ladies where still standing on the pier.

To be honest, having the actual departure time change is a true risk with private tours, hadn't actually thought about that one. Since most people won't have cell phones turned on in foreign ports, not sure how you would even go about planning for that admittedly rare occurrence.

To be honest, having the actual departure time change is a true risk with private tours, hadn't actually thought about that one. Since most people won't have cell phones turned on in foreign ports, not sure how you would even go about planning for that admittedly rare occurrence.

So, I still book privately-- once the sting of that incedent wore off, I realized that it is still worth the risk to not deal with the "orange sticker of shame".

I have always made very meticulous planning sheets for all of my cruises. There is so much information on them (e.g. name of company, phone numbers, web addresses, excursion info, price, when to pay, etc...). If I had actually booked the tour with Oscar, they would have had the info, as they found my spreadsheet. Only, I did not book the tour, so my spread sheet said "Marrakesch with Kim and Diane". That was just not helpful at all!

I now leave my spread sheet on the coffee table or counter whenever we are in port. I also let Stewart know that all of the information is there.

Big lesson learned!

Having worked on ships I have MANY stories of leaving passengers AND crew behind! Passengers usually have to get themselves home or to the next port at their own expense if it was their fault. And many times crew will be dismissed on the spot and have to get themselves home, even back to other countries at their expense. I've seen it happen. :eek:

Here are two quick stories. I was working on HAL's Eurodam Inaugural Baltics trip. We were in Flam, Norway and there was a train expedition that many passengers had taken. For some reason it was quite late getting back (the train stopped within walking distance of the ship). As the train pulled in the Captain laid on the ship's horn non-stop making all these people RUN to catch the ship! Of course, there were still a couple who insisted on taking pictures and taking their time! :rolleyes:

Another was I was working on Disney and we were in Puerto Vallarta. I had a friend sailing with me and he had gone to the beach by himself. As I am getting ready to do a show shortly after sail-away I assumed he was back on-board. Then I hear the "BING...BONG" and MY FRIEND'S name being announced! Shortly after my on-board cell rings and the CD asks if I have seen my friend!? :eek: I had no idea where he was and we were coming up on sail-away! Luckily he came RUNNING down the pier and jumped onboard. He had misread the All Aboard time! Needless to say I gave him a big lecture as I could have been in big trouble!! Luckily it all worked out and we still laugh about it today!:D

But be warned, ship's WILL leave without you.:p

they had put a hold on first class plane tickets and a 5 star hotel room in Madiera. They assumed full responsibility because they had changed the boarding time.

It thought that was a very generous touch.

It would almost have been worth missing the ship...... Almost [emoji41]

About 20 years ago we sailed on the original Ocean Princess in the eastern Med. We docked in Kusadasi from 10 to 5. The same day the Pacific Princess (sister ship) was there for 7 to 1.

A family from the Pacific, came back from a tour and split up to shop the bazaar area. The 14 year old daughter, returned to the ship about noon. Went up stairs to the buffet for lunch. After lunch she sat and watched another ship sail. Suddenly she realized it was he ship sailing. In those days the cruise card was cardboard. Obviously someone should have checked the card carefully, but they did not. So she used her Pacific card to get on the island.

The pilot boat took her out to the Pacific so she rejoined her parents.

In the boozier ports, we like to wager on a game of our invention: "flip-flops, drink or top" - all it takes to play is a wad of singles and a spot next to the rail at all-aboard time.

Simply bet on which of the three items will get dropped first on the run to the ship: everyone puts in a dollar per runner, and winners divide the pot.

ProTip: never bet against the drink.

I have never heard of anyone missing the ship when taking a tour from a local tour company.

That being said, we almost missed the ship on a local tour in 2010. The tour was a boat tour on St. Vincent. The tour company was Baleine tours and usually referred to as “Wayne’s tour” because he is the operator. The tour was great and lots of fun. The last stop was a beach stop and Wayne was in the water with everyone. He became enamored with a couple of young ladies and he forgot about the time. I had to get his attention and insist that we needed to leave. We speed back to the dock, ran about a block to the ship and got on with less than 5 minutes to go.

I still take local tours, but I am leery of taking a tour that gets back close to the ship’s departure time.

We were on our port side balcony watching two Bing Bong People trying to run to the ship. The woman was making an exhausted huffing/puffing run. But the man, Carl, was too drunk and just sat down. The woman started to encourage him by yelling,"Carl!!, Run, Carl, Run!" Well, of course, pretty soon everyone was out on their balconies yelling, Run, Carl, Run. A loud chorus of Run, Carl, Run.

To this day we will say Run, Carl, Run to each other when we are hurrying to get somewhere.

FYI....Carl made it on board.