On Board the Mariner Miami to Miami

Konagolfer

This is our second time to "Circle South America". Our 2012 cruise was outstanding and when people ask us what is our favorite cruise we always tell them 2012 cruise around South America. We knew our experience would not be the same this time but had no idea it would be as bad as it is. I am sure that a lot of readers know of the "code red" illness situation on board (it has been going on for more than two weeks). The crew is worn out from constant cleaning and sanitizing and the extra effort just to serve everything including salt and pepper, sugar, etc. Hopefully these measures will end soon now that we have the new segment guests on board. We also missed three ports, two for bad sea conditions and one for mostly unknown reason (the Falklands). Our other big disappointment is the lack of special events or even recognition of the approximately 100 full cruise passengers. On the prior cruise we had a number of exclusive events including a pre-cruise dinner and entertainment, special parties on board, we even had a special dinner and entertainment just for the full cruise guests. I won't go into all the details here but I have been writing a blog since the beginning of the cruise. https://thewatkinscruise.blogspot.com

Great minds think alike eh, Konagolfer? I just posted a few thoughts on that last Lima to Buenos Aires segment and hope that things are looking better on Mariner with the new Captain and management team?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise - hope that last bit doesn't colour the whole journey. I'll have a read of your blog now - you might like to read mine http://www.elegantsufficiency.org :-)

It sounds as if norovirus is going around the ship. Really sorry to hear this. Oceania's Riviera has had it onboard on and off since November (many threads discussing this on the Oceania board). The Riviera cut a cruise short in order to clean the ship more thoroughly. Truly hope that this can be contained soon. It is definitely hard on both the passengers and crew.

Gilly, firstly, I am really enjoying your blog and am sad that your journey is ending. I'll miss the beautiful photos and commentary.

I don't want to argue with what they are saying on the Mariner but Norovirus is a GI infection (also known as gastroenteritis). Perhaps it is the milder version but Regent is taking the exact same steps as was taken on the Riviera. In any case, it is good that you have avoided it. The next time we fly or sail during this time of the year we will be taking "wipes" that are approved by the Center of Disease Control in the U.S. Most sanitizers and wipes do not work against gastroentereitis/noro but there are some products that will.

Safe travels home!

TC, we are home already and simply noting what was clearly announced on Mariner: "this is not Norovirus". In the light of that, I was careful not to use the term in my post and note that Konagolfer did not refer to it as such either. Please, be careful in making assumptions here - it is so easy to raise alarm.

Thank you for kind words about my blog. As you know, I write it for myself, my friends and family but I'm happy to share the fun we have even if it is tinged with disappointment on occasions.

Do tell, Jackie.....what wipes work?!?!? Seriously....it will be good info for many!

I'm on my way out of the door but will post this quickly. This is what I purchased second (could not find a travel size at first): http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GEY0P0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

And this is what I purchased first. Very effective but a lot of wipes. I was planning on putting some in a baggie for travel. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFFGJ6S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Last is the listing of all products that work (you have to scroll down to the second page to see it). I had not heard of these products so I copied and Googled them..... some I could find and others I couldn't. Hope the links works and that this helps:-) http://www.epa.gov/sites/production/..._norovirus.pdf

P.S. I tested the links -- the last one doesn't work. I'll find the information when I get back.

Edited by Travelcat2

I found the information from the EPA (not CDC as posted earlier). Since the link didn't work, I'm trying cut and paste:

US Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs

List G: EPA Registered Hospital Disinfectants Effective Against Norovirus (Norwalk-like virus)

October 22, 2015

This is a bit frustrating. The list becomes a mess when you paste it. If you copy the above and paste into Google, the list will come up.

Just to update. We are still under the "code red" restrictions as there have been several new cases of illness. We did speak to the general manager last evening and he said the passengers that are sick are ones that boarded in Buenos Aires so they are assuming that the extensive sanitizing procedure conducted on the 21st is working. We still need to be 72 hours without new cases before we can go back to normal. One new step is that there are no hand towels in the public restrooms, just kleenex tissues. Try drying your hands with those!!

Konagolfer, how frustrating for all concerned. I noticed the towels disappeared from the restrooms before we left but assumed it was because of the changeover. I agree, those tissues are worse than useless for drying hands. I'm keeping everything crossed for a clear 72hours for you.

Thanks for the blog updates...it's always interesting to see how the ship sails on without us!

Gilly

From my past discussions with Regent, and other crew, it seem that GI infections are endemic on South America cruises when the passenger embark from Lima (the worst), Rio and BA. I guess they get it while onshore for several days and bring it to the ship.

It would be nice if an ill feeling passengers would report it when they 1st board and stay in their room for a few days. I guess they think, wrongly, that the ship would not let them board with a GI illness.

j

...we have downgraded from Code Red II to Code Red I. Towels are back in the public restrooms, cookies are out at Coffee Connection for self-service, flowers/salt & pepper/sugar are back on the tables @ CR, electric candles are on the tables in the evening in the lounges. Also heard that evening pre-dinner hors d'oeuvres are back but we did not witness this first-hand today. Moving toward normalcy!

Kwaj girl, I'm so pleased all that hard work and commitment from everyone on board is reflected in visible improvements! What a relief! Enjoy the rest of your cruise, the cocktail canapés and stay well! Thank you for the update, too.

Gilly

Thanks for the report Kwaj girl.. we board in just a few days and I was hoping for a normal cruise...we have been so pleased with Regent so far...

It looks like most of the folks who will get on in Rio will either be a one day pre or fly in the day of..so hopefully no-one will bring it on board..

Please keep us posted..

From my past discussions with Regent, and other crew, it seem that GI infections are endemic on South America cruises when the passenger embark from Lima (the worst), Rio and BA. I guess they get it while onshore for several days and bring it to the ship.

It would be nice if an ill feeling passengers would report it when they 1st board and stay in their room for a few days. I guess they think, wrongly, that the ship would not let them board with a GI illness.

j

I had not heard that GI infections are endemic on South America cruises - very interesting information! That is concerning since the Mariner will be in Rio once again. Hopefully those boarding in Rio will be well.

Are you sure that Regent would allow passengers to board the ship with a GI illness? I suspect that they would do a test to insure that it was not Norovirus and the passengers might end up being quarantined immediately.

TC2. - would be nice if people were truthful on that boarding questionnaire....but I would venture to say that many would keep their mouth shut about any symptoms for fear of either not being allowed to board or immediate quarantine to their suites.

Grateful to say that all seems back to normal...for now!

None of the lines will do a test prior to boarding. We all just fill out the questionnaires and who is going to tell the truth if they do not have travel insurance and are not feeling well.

If you believe they will, I have some swamp land in Florida to sell you.

Hope it stays good for the rest of the cruise..and of course for the next leg which we will be on.

I also understood that South American ports seemed to be more prone to GI problems - again not so much the Noro - as other food borne gastro problems. As was indicated by an earlier poster the previous Captain and crew said it was not Noro...but who knows, that is all speculation.

As far as the next leg getting any illness, I was informed that only a couple folks are taking the 2 or 3 day pre in Rio. Most will be boarding the same day she docks, and a few with a pre night stay. Again not many. The ship has many available rooms even at this late date..so I imagine not a full ship.

Anyway glad things are back to normal for the ship and everyone!

This morning we are back to code red level two. No announcements have been made but the tables are once again bare in the dining room and all food is being served. Have not checked as yet but assume that the launderettes are closed. Will post again when I have any more news about the situation.

And the hand-drying towels are gone from the public restrooms. One would think that if they wish to discourage people from using those restrooms they should be closed/locked. Now you see people going in but not bothering to wash afterward as there is nothing but Kleenex to dry their hands! And at La Veranda today was a passenger who didn't want to wait for the server but grabbed some celery sticks with her bare hands while he was busy waiting on another passenger!😡

We are on a tour this afternoon and the bus had to take 2 of the passengers back to the ship because one was not feeling well.....hopefully not another case??? One crew member told me today that there were 4 new cases yesterday but had not yet heard today's statistics.

Life goes on! It's really not all THAT terrible, just a first-world annoyance problem but the crew are back to doing their double-duty with a smile. One said to me today, "Madam it's not so bad...we are used to it now." 😌

Oh my goodness, clearly trying the patience of all, but some appear to be dealing with the situation better than others. Of course, it takes only one 'other' to spoil the combined, concerted efforts of everyone else. I do hope those who are not taking every care they can are being reminded of their responsibility?

I hope that this is short lived...that it's just a blip in getting back to normal and that you all remain well and unaffected by this horrible situation, but sadly, unless everyone toes the line, it's going to be difficult to eradicate.

Thank you Konagolfer and Kwaj girl, for keeping us in the picture. In spite of everything, I wish I were there with you on board.

Konagolfer, again thanks for the update, I am sure that Regent will get it sorted, in any case we are still looking forward to the Rio to Miami trip, sailing this Friday and we will definitely not be cancelling.