St.Petersburg

indycrew

we are excited to be aboard the Viking Sea for the Viking Homeland tour leaving July 23. We are not able to see excursions yet, and are very interested in what is available in St. Petersburg. We want to do it all (grand tour), and interested in the size of group and cost from Viking. We have been very pleased with river cruise excursions, but this is a different animal. Any feedback/advice from you seasoned travellers? ;)

we are excited to be aboard the Viking Sea for the Viking Homeland tour leaving July 23. We are not able to see excursions yet, and are very interested in what is available in St. Petersburg. We want to do it all (grand tour), and interested in the size of group and cost from Viking. We have been very pleased with river cruise excursions, but this is a different animal. Any feedback/advice from you seasoned travellers? ;)

The SP info is available on the roll calls for earlier sailings than yours. The ship cost as almost twice the cost of private excursions through established providers in SP. They take care of the VISA thing. The nighttime excursions seem to be about the same price on or off the ship. Lots of info if you check the Posts of Call section.

We are on the same Homelands Cruise as you and want to do an independent two day tour either with SPB Tours, TJ tours or Alla, in St Petersburg, all of which I believe are much cheaper to book as a group. I think they all handle Berlin as well. Also apparently are cheaper if you mention Cruise Critic?

I organized a small group (8 people) two day tour here on CC with fellow passengers. After a lot of research it boiled down to three three companies just mentioned here. I chose TJ travel because they were the only company willing to substitute/add the canal cruise (which was very cool) and also willing to cap the total number of people at 8 people.

It was awesome going with such a small group - we were able to see a lot more, move from location to location so much easier, and the experience was terrific. It was well priced - our guide was excellent. I would highly recommend their consideration. Either way, small independent tours are a great way to see this beautiful city. They will take care of your Visas prior to your arrival so that there is no delay. Remember you cannot just independently visit without obtaining a visa individually. So if you use an independent tour, or Viking tours, they will handle that for you.

I organized a small group (8 people) two day tour here on CC with fellow passengers. After a lot of research it boiled down to three three companies just mentioned here. I chose TJ travel because they were the only company willing to substitute/add the canal cruise (which was very cool) and also willing to cap the total number of people at 8 people.

It was awesome going with such a small group - we were able to see a lot more, move from location to location so much easier, and the experience was terrific. It was well priced - our guide was excellent. I would highly recommend their consideration. Either way, small independent tours are a great way to see this beautiful city. They will take care of your Visas prior to your arrival so that there is no delay. Remember you cannot just independently visit without obtaining a visa individually. So if you use an independent tour, or Viking tours, they will handle that for you.

Alla includes the canal ride and the subway(found the reference to history displayed very interesting) in their Grand Tour. We had 12 in our group from CC. They also include all the run around paperwork.

We were on the Star in July. We used Alla for our two day tour in SP. We loved the canal tour and had a wonderful guide and driver. There were 9 on our van. Six were from our Roll Call. Highly recommend them. Very prompt and professional.

Sounds like maybe the canal trip is more popular than almost two years ago - I do remember we substituted something for the specific tour so that we didn't go to I believe the Fabrage museum - and it all turned out great.

To be honest, I have never read any negative reviews for the main tour companies. I honestly believe that they all provide excellent experiences.

You might want to go into the Ports of Call section and read reviews.....I I am thinking that is how most of us decided on which company we wanted to go with. Then send email and nquiries to the companies directly and see what works best for you. If it is the Viking excursion, then that will be great as well. St Petersburg was above our expectations- we really enjoyed our time there.

We chose to do the 2 day with TJ's tour (our sailing is 5/6/17 out) as they also stated they would get you to the next port at their expense if we miss the boat. They are very easy to work with and got excellent reviews on trip advisor and here on cc. We have so far received discounts and our 2 day price is USD$240.00pp as we also booked the Berlin tour with them for USD$89.00 as they give discounts for CC people. One member of our sailing has made a CC group with them so that we are traveling with them and hopefully 8 other people sign up. It is a small group tour so you get to more places and includes lunch both days.

thanks all for your input. We were leaning toward a private company, so now it is the decision which one. Thank you!

We used Red October for two days in St. Petersburg. Just we two, sedan driver and young tour guide. The company sent pre tour itinerary suggestions and you can really build your own tours. Our guide even added stops as we went along for additional things he thought we might like to see: farmers market, quick ride on the subway to see the fabulous artwork at several stations. Never waited in any lines anywhere we stopped and were never rushed along. FABULOUS experience.

Looking at the 2 day programme, it does seem terribly rushed.

For example 90 minutes at the Peterhof, but no visit inside the Palace, 90 minutes inside Catherine's Palace, and 30 minutes devoted to the Church of Our Saviour of the Spilled Blood.

Personally, I would devote the 2 days to seeing fewer sights, and doing each more justice.

Looking at the 2 day programme, it does seem terribly rushed.

For example 90 minutes at the Peterhof, but no visit inside the Palace, 90 minutes inside Catherine's Palace, and 30 minutes devoted to the Church of Our Saviour of the Spilled Blood.

Personally, I would devote the 2 days to seeing fewer sights, and doing each more justice.

I'm sure any company that arranges group tours can set that up for you. The cost will probably increase due to smaller group but these companies can make what ever you want to happen, happen and take care of the paper work for you.

I'm sure any company that arranges group tours can set that up for you. The cost will probably increase due to smaller group but these companies can make what ever you want to happen, happen and take care of the paper work for you.

I looked at two Companies' websites and, as far as I could see, the itineraries of their 2 day Grand Tour were identical.

I may have missed a reference on the sites to bespoke tours being possible, but I am sure you are right in saying that they could be arranged.

I suppose that it is a temptation for an American who has travelled such a long distance to get to Europe to want to see as much as possible in a given location.

I have been fortunate in having visited St. Petersburg several times, and it is a wonderful city.

We chose to do the 2 day with TJ's tour (our sailing is 5/6/17 out) as they also stated they would get you to the next port at their expense if we miss the boat. They are very easy to work with and got excellent reviews on trip advisor and here on cc. We have so far received discounts and our 2 day price is USD$240.00pp as we also booked the Berlin tour with them for USD$89.00 as they give discounts for CC people. One member of our sailing has made a CC group with them so that we are traveling with them and hopefully 8 other people sign up. It is a small group tour so you get to more places and includes lunch both days.

Is there a place for two more people on the St. Petersburg tour? I have two clients that might like to join you in May as they are on this ship. What day are you touring? Thanks

We have been there twice. First, on a Viking River Cruise in 2012 and second via the Viking Sea in June 2015 on the Viking Homeland tour. There is a lot to see there. We did the Viking tours the first time but zeroed in the second time with a private tour guide. We used TJ Travel for 2 days. Cost was under $600 per person for 2 days (2 of us). They picked us up at the ship (Private Car, driver, and guide) and dropped us off there at the end of the day. They would drop us off near the attraction and pick us up when done. We spent a lot less time walking, waiting in line, parking and boarding the bus, etc. It was great (easier on my arthritis too). We got into venues Viking does not go to (huge Impressionist art collection at the General Staff bldg.), saw Peter the Great's log cabin where he started out, ate at local (not tourist) restaurants, attended an Orthodox church in service with our guide, etc. We visited the underground or metro and took a ride on their system. We saw the Soviet era buildings as well as newer construction in the suburbs. Much more to see this way and there was a lot of interaction with Russians. A closer to the ground look at Russia and a chance to communicate. It was educational and changed our opinion of the Russians as a people. Would use this type of service again.

Several of us on the 28 May Viking Homeboys cruise are using TJ Tours in St Pete. Arranged in our Roll Call. Taking the June 7&8 2-day $285pp guided tour, reduced in price to $240pp through mentioning Cruise Critic. Tour sounds excellent. Will report Back.

Is there a place for two more people on the St. Petersburg tour? I have two clients that might like to join you in May as they are on this ship. What day are you touring? Thanks

We are going to be in St Petersburg May 16/17. Our CC friend Fred is sponsor of our Viking group on TJ's tours so if you ask to be included in Fred's tour you will get an additional $ off the price.

We are also on the July 23 cruise. I have tried to compare the Viking two day all inclusive tour of SP with some private company tours, such as Alla. When I factor in the cost of tickeypts to the ballet, the cost is very similar.

Am I missing something?