Obstructed View Balcony cabins on the Royal Princess

halfback

Does anyone have any information on the obstructed view cabins on the Royal Princess. I understand some a fully obstructed and some partially obstructed. I am trying to find out which are partially obstructed where the lifeboat is below the rail.

Does anyone have any information on the obstructed view cabins on the Royal Princess. I understand some a fully obstructed and some partially obstructed. I am trying to find out which are partially obstructed where the lifeboat is below the rail.

Here is an entire thread....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1808632&highlight=obstructed+balcony+royal

For a quick visual reference, check the deck plans on Princess Cruises website. For the most part they are very accurate showing the locations of lifeboats and tenders in relation to staterooms. The ships tenders, with their upper deck seating platform, are the only ones that rise above the handrail of the balcony, were as the lifeboats are just below the level of the handrail.

Also keep in mind that the davits, the devices that raise and lower the lifeboats and tenders, will rise well above the handrails, so choosing a location 'between boats' for a 'slot view' between davits is a bit tricky sometimes in any location along Emerald Deck behind the lifeboats and tenders.

Here are some pictures I took on my Turn Around Day aboard Royal Princess showing how the davits can also be a problem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1950107&page=24

Best bet is to choose a cabin that shows its location is exactly in the middle of a lifeboat, any cabin forward or aft of a string of lifeboats, or amid ship.

Here is Emerald Deck, the tenders are the last two boats on the port side, and the last three on the starboard side. You can see the shapes of the standard lifeboats differ from the tenders. I've marked the tenders to show them better. If you are wanting to stay away from the tenders, I would probably avoid port side cabins E530-E628 and starboard side cabins E517-E629.

Deck Plan of Emerald Deck

13098081663_795bc9b01f_o.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

We were in E701 and although the view forward was mostly obstructed by the lifeboats there was no obstruction straight ahead or aft. On the deck below there was a large box that held the life rafts but we could easily see over it. We enjoyed the cabin, but be aware that all of the balconies on the Royal are quite small. That was the most common complaint we heard on the ship.

My understanding is that the BZ balconies on Marina and Lido are not obstructed whatsoever although they are classified as such. On the original plan they were supposed to have a solid metal balcony but when the ship was completed they had a clear glass balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My understanding is that the BZ balconies on Marina and Lido are not obstructed whatsoever although they are classified as such. On the original plan they were supposed to have a solid metal balcony but when the ship was completed they had a clear glass balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes an adjustment in the shipyard.

We were in E226, and if you follow the link in my signature you will see that we had absolutely no obstruction when looking straight out or forward on our balcony. Our aft view was blocked by the survival craft.

Since the Emerald deck is right above Promenade, are there any noise problems from Princess Live, Crooners, Wheelhouse Bar etc?

In E226. Yes, if we were in our cabin during rehearsals or performances in the Princess Theater we could always hear the "beat".