Freedom of the Seas. Do you have questions? On board now with unlimited wifi pkg.

This indicates you can upgrade from Premium to Ultimate:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5812

I'm guessing that other upgrade paths are available too, but it could depend on specific ship's management.

Thanks for providing the information! That was quick :) I'll wait and see what happens once we're on the ship.

We are on the Freedom next Sunday. I have a few questions:

What are the wifi rates?

Can you use one package on multiple devices ie ipad and iPhone?

Do you receive any free minutes or discount as Diamond members?

We are debating what time to arrive at the pier to embark, we do not have a need to be the first on, though we would prefer not to wait outside in the heat, we don't mind waiting inside, we also are traveling with late risers, as of now we are planning on arriving around noon, what are your thoughts as far the timing?

Thank you for your help. Have a great cruise.

We are boarding on August 10th and enjoying your comments. Someone on our Roll Call wants to know if they still have Lobster Night in the MDR. Thanks and have a great cruise!

Edited by Vol fan

One more question....(for now, lol) ... you or someone else probably already knows the answer to this question....but just want to make sure their isn't a stairwell that passengers can use in the Aft of the ship? We do indeed need to walk all the way to near the elevators even if we just want to use the stairs, correct? I wish there was a stairwell back there.....we usually take the stairs unless we are totally exhausted. (I even carried my then 2 year old down, for 5 flights, wearing heels, on our last cruise because the wait or the elevators was crazy.)

One more question....(for now, lol) ... you or someone else probably already knows the answer to this question....but just want to make sure their isn't a stairwell that passengers can use in the Aft of the ship? We do indeed need to walk all the way to near the elevators even if we just want to use the stairs, correct? I wish there was a stairwell back there.....we usually take the stairs unless we are totally exhausted. (I even carried my then 2 year old down, for 5 flights, wearing heels, on our last cruise because the wait or the elevators was crazy.)

Correct, no guest stairs at the aft end of the ship. You've got to walk forward to the mid-ship centrum.

Ohhhh I am going on it in a few weeks, room 1310, I am insanely excited, here are some questions ...

How easy to get a seat beside the pools?

How much are the "mocktails"?

At MDR hubby and I are hoping to get a table for 4 (2 children with us) at the balcony so we can watch everyone enjoying their evening, this also helps when u have 2 small tots with you, they can stand up and watch everyone, definitely more difficult when u are right in middle of floor, if u see a table for 4 in a good spot and can make a mental note of table number that would be awesome.

Also, just any wee tips you have would be great.

I hope u are having a wonderful time and I am sure you are :-D

I don't *do* pool lounging - that's why I like a big balcony. ;)

But the answer would vary from cruise to cruise anyway. This is a BIG ship, and if MOST people want to be at the pool at the same time, it will be crowded.

If when you sail, most of the kids are back in school (which it sounds like they will be), it will probably be easier to get those poolside loungers.

They will sometimes move table numbers around, so getting a number for you now may end up being irrelevant. When you board, go to the Main Dining Room. From about 1 P.M. on, the Maitre D' will be on duty, taking requests. If you scope out your table location and want something different, just ask him. He will do his best to help you.

Be aware that with most American schools back in session, your kids will have fewer playmates.

Mocktails? You mean drinks without alcohol? Seriously? :eek:

Just kidding.

I will try to find out. They used to be $1-$2 cheaper than the full deal.

May I ask, how you got upgraded ? Guess you are diamond or above ?

I'm Emerald (VERY soon), but I guess this would not help me either to get upgraded, does it ?

PS I wish you a very pleasant cruise!

I am "high" Diamond Plus. ;)

Upgrades come from two sources: Revenue Department and C&A. Revenue does all of the upgrades that IT wants, then turns whatever is left over to C&A.

Revenue seems most likely to upgrade newbies, or near-newbies, hoping to ensnare them into booking more expensive cabins on subsequent cruises.

C&A is supposed to upgrade based on the point system, but it doesn't always work that way. I was chatting with a Pinnacle who did NOT get upgraded. (but she had already booked a JS, and they are probably too miserly to give her a GS, even there were a couple available when *I* got my JS)

All of this means that chances are NOT good for an Emerald.

Carol, if possble, please take a photo of the internet rates.

Have fun on the cruise, we're all jealous!:p

Bob, they are EXACTLY what everyone else has reported from upgraded systems:

$189.95 ($190) for unlimited, one device.

$229 for unlimited, two devices.

$60 for one 24 hour period, unlimited use.

$30 for an hour of use, usable over any period of time.

You can no longer buy "just minutes". If you are using an hour and it is "up", you are kicked off. No more "just another minute". You would have to buy another hour.

Bob, they are EXACTLY what everyone else has reported from upgraded systems:

$189.95 ($190) for unlimited, one device.

$229 for unlimited, two devices.

$60 for one 24 hour period, unlimited use.

$30 for an hour of use, usable over any period of time.

You can no longer buy "just minutes". If you are using an hour and it is "up", you are kicked off. No more "just another minute". You would have to buy another hour.

Thank-you Carol. At least they are still offering a way to buy a block of non-contiguous minutes.

Happy cruising!

There has been a thread about no more singing in the dining room... is this true on your sailing? (Actually the thread was about "no more sining" which made most people make jokes about "no more sinning"... though none about ASL or cosining, fortunately, except in my own head)

Should I make a remark about that entire discussion being tangential? ;)

Since that happens later in the cruise, I won't know the answer until Saturday. But I will let everyone know then.

I know that there are two groups of opinions on that topic. I am in the group that say GOOD, I can't imagine that the waiters appreciated having to stop what they were doing and march around like performing troupers. But you know what they say about opinions...... ;)

If the overflow dining rooms have been converted to cabins, where do they hold the diamond breakfast? (Yes, I know you don't eat breakfast, but I do like that specialty coffee in the morning)

Not sure that they do the Diamond breakfast, since there is a dedicated D lounge on board with continental breakfast and all of the caffeine you can drink.

Any continuing discussion/speculation onboard about future repurposing of cl/dl?

Nah. I started most of that gossip, anyway. :D

Heels! Eek... while I am a strong proponent of dressing for formal night, I don't wear heels anywhere (don't even own a pair actually)... definitely a good time to take the elevator!!

Nice that you're enjoying the long walk to the aft balcony... we had one once on the Mariner (in my pre-running days) and I dreaded that loooong walk... maybe I would like it now, too... I guess I'll have to give it a try again. (It was a regular balcony cabin, not a js so no walk in closet.) Does this class of ship have that same big superstructure in the rear so that you look at metal and the ocean is far away from that huge balcony? (I did like the table chairs lounges and room for square dancing)

Not wearing heels on second formal night. I broke my toe in Nassau last month, when I was cruising on the Grandeur, and wearing those heels on Monday really did a number on my pain level.

I always enjoyed walking to my aft cabins. I have had aft cabins more frequently than not. And now that I have joined "the cult" (of wearing activity trackers like fitbit), I can see just how wonderful I am for doing that long walk!

Voyager class and Freedom class are IDENTICAL in structure except that Freedom class are stretched in length. So, YES, the superstructure is exactly the same on Freedom, Liberty and Independence as on Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator and Mariner.

I can see the ocean just fine.

Nice to have unlimited internet! I was thinking about asking you if you want to share that on the repo... Let's talk...

The question is: Will Explorer have it? The Independence did NOT on my transatlantic. I am not sure that RC has "figured out" how to charge for unlimited access on longer cruises. (it is SUCH a difficult question. :rolleyes:)

And the Explorer will not receive ANY updates at all until March 2015.

Thanks for all the updates. I can't wait til Feb. This is my 2nd cruise ever, and my 2nd on Freedom. This upcoming cruise will be the first aft balcony (10th floor.) Your live updates are a little like living vicariously until we can go for ourselves in Feb.! When we did book 2 aft balconies that became available, we were originally told that the divider could indeed be opened, as staff do this for cleaning on all balconies. However, reading everything on here it says afts don't open. If you see your steward, would you be willing to confirm that there isn't a way? (I know the don't slide like the other ones, but wondering how they supposedly open for cleaning like RC originally told me...I'm sure they were mistaken, but till just holding out false hope, lol.)Thanks again for answering questions!! Hope you are having a fabulous time!

LOL. I had a similar "repeating" experience.

First cruise? Explorer, eastern Caribbean, cabin 7688.

Second cruise? Explorer, eastern Caribbean, cabin 7688.

[third cruise? Voyager, Canada & NE, cabin 7388)

:D

I will quadruple check, but I am 99.9999999% sure that you will not be able to open the dividers between your balconies.

Carol, hope you're enjoying your trip. Great cabin back there...we sailed in one of the aft JS our first cruise with the boys on Liberty back in 2007. Loved it.

I had posted this quite a while ago and it must have gotten lost since no one answered, but can you confirm, if possible, that the $8 rate for younger kids in the specialty dining requires them to eat off the new kids menu being offered? I called C&A when no one responded and they told me that if my 12 yo pays $8, he must eat from the kids menu you posted a few weeks ago. Since he wants the filet, he won't eat from that menu and therefore he will cost me $35 in Chops. Too much for a skinny 12 yo eater. Since we'll be on Freedom on 8/24 I'd like to know their policy directly.

Thanks!

I will double check that for you, but I am 99.99999% of that answer, too.

After all, why have a cheaper kids' price and a kids' menu, if you are just going to let them order the expensive food?

There is no way that Royal Caribbean is going to forego that revenue!

But I'll check.

;)

Oh, and MY skinny 12 year old could have eaten an entire filet and finished OUR leftovers, too! Bottomless little pits, they are!

Edited by Merion_Mom

Following along with interest :) I just booked my first cruise as an adult and it will be on the Freedom next September (Western Caribbean).

This is a weird question and I understand you might not know the answer, but I thought I'd take a chance and ask. One of the travel agent extras we're getting is free soda packages. My husband is wondering if that can be upgraded by us paying the difference for an alcohol package? I don't drink enough for it to be worth it for me but it may be worth it for him.

No other specific questions at this time but I hope you have a great cruise!

This indicates you can upgrade from Premium to Ultimate:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5812

I'm guessing that other upgrade paths are available too, but it could depend on specific ship's management.

If I were you, NewCruiser77, I would ask my travel agent: "Hey, if we give you the price difference between the soda package and the booze package, would you put us down for the booze package instead?"

That way, you could board with everything in place.

But I'll see if I can find an answer here on board.

:)

I am so envious. I hope you are having a fantastic time.

Is the Schooner Bar still excessively refrigerated? I have loved it on other ships, but on the Freedom it always seems so cold. It would be nice if they have adjusted this.

Who is your steward? Table staff?

Do you go to the Champagne Bar? Vintages?

We are on the Freedom next Sunday. I have a few questions:

What are the wifi rates?

Can you use one package on multiple devices ie ipad and iPhone?

Do you receive any free minutes or discount as Diamond members?

We are debating what time to arrive at the pier to embark, we do not have a need to be the first on, though we would prefer not to wait outside in the heat, we don't mind waiting inside, we also are traveling with late risers, as of now we are planning on arriving around noon, what are your thoughts as far the timing?

Thank you for your help. Have a great cruise.

See page 2 for the rates. I don't know how much of a discount a Diamond gets. D+ has $30/one hour.

I thought as you do. I don't need to get there early. So my son dropped me off at 12:30. I thought "how nice, I can go straight to my cabin when I board."

There was a line to pull up to the curb and drop me off.

There was a line to get into the terminal building.

There was a line to go through security.

There was a line to check in. (and the D/D+ line was NOT short)

So, while timing is everything, it is difficult to predict WHAT time will be best.

Sort of like timing the stock market. ;)

Would love to know what time the gym opens as my husband is a very early riser. Also, times and prices for yoga classes? Thanks so much for any info! :D

Today is a port stop in Sint Maarten/Saint Martin. I do not know if the gym times are the same for port days and sea days (broken toe = no gym time this cruise)

But here is what today's Cruise Compass has:

8 A.M. to 10 P.M.

no yoga classes today. maybe tomorrow.

classes today, no charge:

vitality stretch 7 a.m.

circuit training 7:30 a.m.

fab abs, 5 p.m.

dancin' in the street 10:30 p.m. (just kidding! :D)

Do you really want some exercise? The $10 cr@p sale is tonight on the Royal Promenade! Competitive shopping!

We are boarding on August 10th and enjoying your comments. Someone on our Roll Call wants to know if they still have Lobster Night in the MDR. Thanks and have a great cruise!

Of course. It's the Jasmine menu, served on the second formal night. For the eastern itinerary, which you are on, that's Friday.

I am so envious. I hope you are having a fantastic time.

Is the Schooner Bar still excessively refrigerated? I have loved it on other ships, but on the Freedom it always seems so cold. It would be nice if they have adjusted this.

Who is your steward? Table staff?

Do you go to the Champagne Bar? Vintages?

It doesn't seem especially cold to me.

Steward = Martha

Servers = Raymond and Alba.

All wonderful.

Head waiter = Erktan. Also excellent. Very patient. Listened to me with respect, although clearly disagreeing with me. (had a discussion about slobs in the dining room)

Haven't had a drink in Champagne Bar or Vintages yet.

They already secretly added some new oceanview rooms. They are on Deck 3, where the "private" or overflow dining rooms used to be. Hotel Director Mike told us that they have the largest portholes of any OV cabins. There are four or five of them on each side of the ship.

Oh, another change that they have already made:

The area next to the Café Promenade, which on Liberty and Independence is the Loyalty Ambassador's office/Future Cruise Booking area, is a Britto store.

Gotta keep increasing that onboard spending!

LA is on Deck 6, aft Centrum area, like Voyager class ships.