AARP Gift Certificate Question

Hi. Has anyone purchased a RCL gift certificate using AARP Rewards Points? My friend just received hers and it states it can't be used on previously booked cruise, can't be used for OBC/excursions and can't be used if you booked through a travel agency......so what can it be used for????

I purchased 3 gift cards from them in September and used them at check-in on my account on a Carnival Cruise.

I called CS at AARP and the woman didn't know how they worked. I guess she is just out the $90?

Hi. Has anyone purchased a RCL gift certificate using AARP Rewards Points? My friend just received hers and it states it can't be used on previously booked cruise, can't be used for OBC/excursions and can't be used if you booked through a travel agency......so what can it be used for????

I purchased 3 gift cards from them in September and used them at check-in on my account on a Carnival Cruise.

I called CS at AARP and the woman didn't know how they worked. I guess she is just out the $90?

Hi

I read all the "cannot use" conditions somewhere on this board and am very hesitant to buy RC gift cards.

I am guessing that your friend will have to use the card to book a new cruise if she is booking directly with Royal. Wonder what would happen if she books directly, uses the gift card, and then transfers to her travel agent?

The carnival gift cards work fine.

Everyone should read the fine print on the RC gift certificates before they purchase. I posted something about this several years ago. Unless you use their TA to purchase cruise, they are useless, IMO Your friend will have to use them to purchase another cruise.

Sorry this happened to her.

Hi

I read all the "cannot use" conditions somewhere on this board and am very hesitant to buy RC gift cards.

I am guessing that your friend will have to use the card to book a new cruise if she is booking directly with Royal. Wonder what would happen if she books directly, uses the gift card, and then transfers to her travel agent?

That is an interesting question. Maybe Bob will stop by and comment on this.

Unfortunately, we have a RCL cruised booked through a travel agency for May. I have always book directly with a cruise line because I like to be "in-charge" as much as possible. LOL

So if she booked another cruise using her certificate and then cancelled do you think she would get her money refunded?

That is an interesting question. Maybe Bob will stop by and comment on this.

Wish I could help, but I know next to nothing about the gift cards except they appear to be a pain to use.

I agree with you totally about reading the fine print. I didn't know she did this until this evening.

The carnival gift cards work fine.

Everyone should read the fine print on the RC gift certificates before they purchase. I posted something about this several years ago. Unless you use their TA to purchase cruise, they are useless, IMO Your friend will have to use them to purchase another cruise.

Sorry this happened to her.

I also purchased one of these, and having used carnival GC's with no problems, just assumed RCCL would be the same NOT!! I saved a whopping $10.00 when I mailed it in on my already booked online cruise. What happened then is what upset me. My booking was basically taken from me where I could no longer see any payment information online, still can't. I called to pre-pay gratuities and got nothing in writing from them nor can I view it online. Very frustrating and one of the things I hate about this cruise. If people use a gift certificate, they should still be able to view their information online, just like Carnival.

Anyway, she can probably send it in, but be prepared to give the booking to someone in cyberspace and never be able to view your payment information. You will have to call and request they email you invoices, etc, which is aggravating too when it would be so much simpler to be able to view it online.

NEVER will I do that again with RCCL. :(

I'm the original OP. Here's the down and dirty phone conversations on the gift certificate.

From AARP: Gift Certificate can only be used on new bookings made through calling the RCI # listed in the details. You need to reference you are using the Deluxe Rewards' Certificate Agency ID 293706, when making your reservation. After you make your reservation, you mail in the certificate to RCI in Miami for the certificate to be applied.

My customer service person was very nice and stressed the importance of reading the details before you make a purchase.

From RCI: Asked about making a new reservation using the Certificate and then cancel before final payment. The Certificate is non-refundable.

So the bottom line is: know what you are purchasing ahead of time. My friend can always book another cruise using the certificate, but probably won't.

Yeah, that's what I did, mailed it in after I booked. But there was nothing in the fine print letting me know I'd have no access to my booking once I did it. I just assumed it would be handled like a gift card for Carnival was. Live and learn! It has not been worth saving $10.00, I'll tell you that!

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any update on this. I was told by both RCI and AARP prior to purchasing a 500.00 gift cert that as long as I booked through RCI that I could use one, and so far I've gotten no where with either of them. I am very unhappy about this. AARP needs to make this good.

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Be careful, you may only be able to use them with a brand new booking.  Read the fine print.

I have always been hesitant to purchase also because of fine print.  A couple months ago, someone posted that they had successfully used them.  Maybe they will notice this post or maybe a search will bring it up.

Here are instructions for redeeming the AARP gift certificates. The link to the thread is: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2661580-aarp-rccl-certificates/

Follow the instructions and the email  to redeem them is: sharedservicesgiftcertificatesredemption@rccl.com  

If I typed it right. I've never purchased or tried to use them, but some have been successful. If you try various search terms on this forum only there are a couple of threads with detailed instructions. I don't think they are worth it for $10 in savings. But they can be used.