Cellular at Sea seems updated

EngIceDave

It looks like they have more ships now....

Glory, Imagination, Triumph and Valor

Carnival Cruise Lines:

• Carnival Celebration (coming soon)

• Carnival Conquest (coming soon)

• Carnival Destiny (coming soon)

• Carnival Ecstasy (coming soon)

• Carnival Elation (coming soon)

• Carnival Fantasy (coming soon)

• Carnival Fascination (coming soon)

• Carnival Glory

• Carnival Holiday (coming soon)

• Carnival Imagination

• Carnival Inspiration (coming soon)

• Carnival Legend (coming soon)

• Carnival Liberty (coming soon)

• Carnival Miracle (coming soon)

• Carnival Paradise (coming soon)

• Carnival Pride (coming soon)

• Carnival Sensation (coming soon)

• Carnival Spirit (coming soon)

• Carnival Triumph

• Carnival Valor

• Carnival Victory (coming soon)

http://www.cellularatsea.com/shipsinservice.htm

It's a good thing they are offering... and it looks like they will make a killing on it. $2.49 a minute for the roaming charges on the ship... plus your plan charges. I know a lot of people will rack up some huge bills on this.

With 3000 people on board... I bet 1/3 to 1/2 will take advantage and spend $20 - $50 on the roaming during a cruise.

It's a good thing they are offering... and it looks like they will make a killing on it. $2.49 a minute for the roaming charges on the ship... plus your plan charges. I know a lot of people will rack up some huge bills on this.

With 3000 people on board... I bet 1/3 to 1/2 will take advantage and spend $20 - $50 on the roaming during a cruise.

I was hoping my hubby wouldnt be able to use his cell phone!! so we could really "get away"

I have the Cingular international plan, because I travel overseas a bit, so I get a discounted rate.

But, FYI, to get that rate is like an additional $6 a month

i work for cingular. please be aware that the discount does NOT include the cruise ship roaming rates. the 2.49 per minute that you will be charged will NOT be discounted. this is not the fault of cingular, but the choice of the cruise line, not just carnival, but all lines that have mobile cellular towers. when you are in port however, local roaming rates apply and those will be discounted if applicable. you can visit http://www.cingular.com for list of rates in the applicable countries. please also note that us virgin islands like st thomas is INCLUDED in your national plan as well as san juan puerto rico, guam and the mariannas. at least you have cingular so you can roam and use the phone on the ship, only 1 other carrier has that function.

I am a dunce as far as cell phones so, so this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes:

We have the family plan with our family phones and can call each other's cingular phones free of charge (no minutes counted). would we be able to call one another on the ship or in the ports, or would there be a roaming charge?

Kris

We have T-mobile - it is $4.99 per minute while on the cruise ship. St. Thomas is free, Nassau and St Maarten are 90 cents per minute. We have the family text package - they can text from home and we won't get charged for reading them, but if we text back it is 15 cents per text - no matter where we are.

I still won't use my phone, I don't know about anyone else. That week that i didn't have my cell phone was at first a little weird... but it was heaven after the 1st 5 mins! No one nagging you about stuff, calling you for no reason. It was pure heaven.:)

Heck, if it weren't for emergencies, I would return my cell phone today.LOL.

I plan on leaving my phone on, but don't plan to use it. With older parents and two sons (one at college and one currently living at home) not traveling with us it'll be nice to know we are reachable without having to go through the ship to shore which is even more expensive. I get very few cell calls anyway so no worry about unwanted calls.

Cruisin' Marc, they have to turn it off in port, they are not allowed to operate it within so many miles of a port, it is a rule, they were very clear about this - just got off the Imagination yesterday.

...and let me make a commentary - I think cellular at sea sucks. This was my first cruise where the ringing of cell phones and people yaking on them were annoying, it was like being at the mall. Many were using them. At every show, they had to ask people to please turn off their cell phones as to not disturb the show, but as always, some people didn't - it was annoying. Most seem to be using it for social purposes, I hope they understood the charges. We chose not to use ours except in port to check in with our children at home.

One day, we will no longer be able to be away at all. This will be helpful in an emergency, but generally it is annoying. Outside of emergencies, it is a sad day!

Yes... I think cell phones are one of the rudest electronics ever devised.

I really don't want to hear your phone ring or hear you talk. They should treat them like they do cigarettes in California. No using them in public buildings... restaraunts... or within 20 feet of a doorway.

And now it sounds like we are going to have to listen and see this crap on cruises... total bummer...

MRDOOD

Thanx for the info. It will be cheaper to make any calls off the ship.

Something about they are not licensed to be a cell tower in a foreign country when they are docked, only in International waters. ...and you are right it cost me $1.99/per minute on T-mobile in the Caymans and $1.99/per minute on Verizon from Jamaica.

The ship rate was not that cheap.

I am with VentureMan--I depend on my phone for work but will NOT answer it in any public place either during working hours or while on personal time--it is on silent when I am in any public place. If the call is important enough, the caller will leave a message that I can return when I am away from others. It is terribly rude to impose your phone conversations on the people around you and there is no way in H that I want people doing it around me. As far as people thinking that they must be available for "emergencies", what did you do before you had a cell phone?

I will carry mine to call home to check in and let my Mom know we made it onto the ship. Once we do that mine will be off and put in the suitcase. I also don't look forward to having to listen to all those phones and useless conversations.

As far as emergencies everyone at home will be given that emergency number that has been in place for years to use if really necessary and if we have an emergency, we will use the ships satellite phone.

Everyone who complains about cell phones going off in public places probably has one:D . Mine is always on silent in church, restaurants, shows, movies, etc. We all survived without cell phones just like we survived without computers, but amazingly we all have them now. But, I don't see them as an extension of myself which many do. My DS drove back to college today and I asked him to call me when he got back. Knowing I would be in church I put it on silent as I always do and listened to his "I'm back" message when church was over. I do not see the need to be yakking away while laying by the pool on the ship. To the poster who said they had a $500 bill due to their dd's calls to boyfriends, I hope the girls paid the bill. I know my boys would have had to. This is just going to be one more popcorn event here in the future. I do like having the option of being able to call if I need to, but not socializing on my phone on vacation. I don't do that when we're vacationing anywhere.

Archived