CPAP Machine & Distilled Water

mammy123

I am a new user of the CPAP machine. How do others carry distilled water on board for the humidifier? Didn't know if you could get it on the ship or if you can request it before the cruise. Thanks for your help. . .

I used my CPAP on both HAL and Carnival using ship tap water with no problem. The ships make their own water through a de-salination process that removes pretty much all the mineral content, so for the time you are on the ship I wouldn't worry about getting distilled water.

Make sure you do have the ship provide you with the appropriate extension cord so that you can get power to the machine easily. Power outlets in the cabins are in short supply, so let the ship know in advance that you will need the extension cord.

Hope you have a great cruise.

Good question. I never thought about the distilled water. Another piece to travel with. Did it make difference with your sleep. I went from waking 4-6 times a night to sleeping througfh. Wonderful.

I, too, use a CPAP and have requested distilled water from guest services after boarding. There is usually a nominal room service charge.

When I tried using a ship's tap water on a previous cruise I did notice an unusually large amount of mineral residue. Most ships take on fresh water at their point of embarkation and either take on more fresh water at ports of call that supply it, or they make their own with their onboard purifiers.

So long as the ship is using freshwater taken on at a port, it is probably okay; once it starts purifying its own, I believe it has a fairly high mineral content. The amount of any residue depends partly on how high you set your humidifier, i.e., how much water evaporates.

I would recommend getting distilled water from ship's services.

I usually bring my own 15-foot extension cord and some tape for taping the cord to the floor and around corners (the desk with the outlet is often on the opposite side of the cabin from the nightstand and headboard). Once when I requested an extension cord from the ship I received a thick orange heavy duty cord that didn't do much for the cabin's decor.

Sailing with a CPAP is really not a problem. Just bring an extension cord and some tape and ask for distilled water. You will enjoy not waking up every hour or so.

Another CPAP user here. My machine has two parts and I do not take the water reservoir just the blower. I find the cabin is humid enough at sea and I don't have a problem. It's much smaller and easier to pack that way too. As for the extension cord, I just unplug it each morning I am on board and get it out of the way totally during the day. The ship does not provide an aesthetic cord but it is long enough and works with the power system onboard. You should have no problems.

DH used a CPAP on our last cruise and the charge for distilled water delivered to the room was only $4 and it lasted 13 nights. The last night he used the tap water and found it left a large amount of residue. For $4 you can get the right kind of water.

We drive to the ship....so my husband was going to put some distilled water in the backpack he uses to carry his CPAP machine. Figure if security stops him getting on the ship - they can open the bottle and see - smell whatever that it is just water. He swears he needs the water and hate to take a chance they won't have it on the ship. Thanks for the extension cord hint - hadn't thought about that.

We drive to the ship....so my husband was going to put some distilled water in the backpack he uses to carry his CPAP machine. Figure if security stops him getting on the ship - they can open the bottle and see - smell whatever that it is just water. He swears he needs the water and hate to take a chance they won't have it on the ship. Thanks for the extension cord hint - hadn't thought about that.

This thing really isn't going to be a problem. On the older machines with the larger water tank, you could use ship tap water, but you had to change the water every day. The newer, smaller machines have a smaller water tank that gets pretty well emptied every day. If you don't use distilled water, you will get a sediment buildup.

I have tried just about every trick here. I bring my own fifteen foot 20 amp three prong extension cord. Overkill, but safe.

I have stopped at a grocery store and picked up a gallon of distilled water for 89 cents and carried it on board, no problem. But rather than go through that hassel, I just pay the four dollars on board.

This comes out to four dollars in my cruise budget. I may have to sacrifice one beverage. Sleep well my friend.

For some reason, after I started getting a good night's sleep with this machine, DW is a whole lot easier to get along with! :D

I noticed on my most recent Maasdam trip, the room had a 3 prong 110 American style outlet, but on my first trip and in 2002 on the Volendam, it had only a two prong plug. So just in case, you may want to throw in a 3-2 prong adapter along with that extension cord. Hopefully the next time they update the electrical systems, they can put plugs on the night stands and maybe a few extra at the desk for things like cameras, phones, portable computers etc. that all need power.

Been a CPAP user for 14 years, and am on my third one. I have convinced several friends to get to a sleep clinic and they all agree that the use of a CPAP to treat sleep apnia has changed their lives.

I put distilled water in two regular size water bottles and put a label on them that says "distilled water". Two bottles will last abour 12 days. I put these bottles in my CPAP carry case, along with my tickets, passport etc.

Going through airport security, I simply tell them that it is "Medical" water and once they do the wand thingy over my CPAP, I'm good to go. Never had a problem on a ship.

Learned to carry an extension cord after my first cruise with my CPAP. The plugs are always the furthest from "my" side of the bed!

Before carrying water through airport security was a problem, British airports just used to wave me through. American security usually wanted me to plug it in, as they had never seen one back in the early years.

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Thank you for all your responses. They really help. Made arrangements to have the $4 distilled water in our cabin plus requested an extension cord. We will probably take our own cord just in case we don't get one. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone who has brought their own extension cords done this recently on HAL?

On our Carnival sailing in September the extension cords that we brought for our CPAPS (partner and I both use...and were instructed by Carnival's Ship Services to bring our own cords) were confiscated from our luggage upon embarkation. We went round and round with the front desk and it was late into the first night until we had proper cordage and a plug adapter for the one plug in the room to accommodate both machines.

I just wanted to be sure that HAL hasn't adopted this same policy from Carnival before we try to bring our own again in two weeks. No use to bring it if it is going to be confiscated.

Thank you!!

:) :)

My wife has a CPAP and on our last Holland America Cruise, I ordered a Gallon jug of distilled water.....They had indicated it would be $4...when we arrived, it was in the room with a card indicating it was a welcome aboard gift....extension cords or power strips were provided by our room attendant when we asked for them......Happy Sailing...

Bob E:D

I brought my own cord on the Maasdam in September and had no problems. But I also brought my own cord on Carnival 2 weeks ago and had no problems. Go figure. I do find when I am on a ship I don't really need the water in the humidifier.

I just received my cpap machine. When on the long airline flights, can you use your cpap on the flight? I've been checking in on this and am finding conflicting information. I just don't want to bother other passengers with my snoring if I happen to doze off(quite embarasing). I'm thinking of using it on the plane flight...10 hour flight from Canada to Rome.

Any thoughts from you experienced travelers would be appreciated.

My wife has a CPAP and on our last Holland America Cruise, I ordered a Gallon jug of distilled water.....They had indicated it would be $4...when we arrived, it was in the room with a card indicating it was a welcome aboard gift....extension cords or power strips were provided by our room attendant when we asked for them......Happy Sailing...

Bob E:D

How do you pre-order distilled water? I looked on the website where you can order beverages, but I don't see it there.

P.S. We will never bother with bringing our own distilled water in with the CPAP machine on a flight. Not only did we have to wait while the TSA swabbed the machine for exposives, but they then donned gloves, opened the water bottle, and tested it with some kind of litmus strip. We will either get water when we get there, or use tap water.

Not only did we have to wait while the TSA swabbed the machine for exposives, but they then donned gloves, opened the water bottle, and tested it with some kind of litmus strip.

Waiting in line to board a Southwest Airlines flight two weeks ago, my 11-year-old son and I both had to open our purchased-after-we-went-through-security-for-too-much-money water bottles so they could test them. In the boarding area! Sealed water bottles. Makes me feel so safe. :rolleyes:

To tjrubicon,as far as using a CPAP on the flight, I'm not sure how that would be handled unless you are in a seat that has power. I know some newer aircraft do have power outlets. And I'm also not sure what the rules are in Canada. I would contact your airline's customer support (if there is any :p).

Good luck!

Robin

How do you pre-order distilled water? I looked on the website where you can order beverages, but I don't see it there.

On ordering the distilled water, we called our TA and she ordered it, using our credit card. For some reason HAL wanted that up front. . :rolleyes:

Archived