Fairfield Inn in Fll - my report

wieslaw

Hi,

I did benefit from reading others' posts about the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott in Fll, so I want to share my experience there.

I booked that hotel after reading some good reviews here on this board and other places. I made the reservation back in September for the 9th of Dec. using the LMT. I confirmed the reservation with the Fairfield (9542412370) few days after booking it on LMT and all the information was correct and I was in the hotel's system.

We arrieved at the Fll airport on the 9th of Dec. about 10:30 am and after getting our luggage we were ready to go to the hotel about 11 am.. We called the hotel for the complimentary shuttle to the hotel. They told us to look for the shuttle outside the terminal in the area where all the shuttles stop to pick up their guests. We follow their instuctions and quickly found the bus marked with the Fairfield Inn by Marriot and Homewood Suites by Hilton. The driver put our luggage in the attached to the bus trailer and we joined few other people on the bus.

It was a short ride to the hotel maybe 10 minutes or so.

The hotel is on the corner of Griffin Rd and Anglers Ave not far from the airport. It seems to be a nice newer building and it is next to Homewood - both share the same parking lot. The lobby is not very big but sufficient - on one side is the check in counter and on the other the shuttle company ( Ace Tours and Transportation ). It was too early for the check in but the room was ready and they checked us in and gave us the keys. Room was on the second floor. First impression of the hotel and the room was very good.

Room had standard two double beds, desk, chair , stand with radio / alarm clock, TV, nice bright decor. Ironing board and iron in the clothes closet. Large bathroom with bath, planty of towels. Coffee maker ( with two packs of coffe ) was on the bathroom counter.

As soon as we entered the room wife inspected the mattress for any signs of unwanted guests or perhaps residents - all was OK - room was very clean and fresh smelling.

We looked around the hotel - lobby has an area with complimantary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cold water.

In the back is a nice very clean swimming pool ( small ). There is a gym - did not go there. Free WIFI or you can use their computers ( two stations).

Lots of cars on the parking lot had stickers on their dash boards provided by the hotel for free parking ( up to 21 days). I did inquire about the parking since there were some questions in the past on this board. If you rent a room from them even for one night, they will give you a sticker for the free parking. Parking lot seems to be as safe as any - there is fance on two sides and there are some cameras 'watching'. There was one RV that was parked there and it took about four/ six spots. Some of the cars were pretty expensive brands.

Across the street from the hotel is Citgo Quickmart and gas station - we went in there to check it out. They have all kinds of candy bars, cold pop, water, water by the case, beer and some wine ( small selection) and coffee.

Also across the street from the hotel ( on Anglers Ave) and about 50 feet from Citgo is a small building with a sign "Nors Bakery" that makes and sells Mediterranean bread ( 8 inch dia) with different toppings. Prices are from about 2 dol to 5 dol depending what you choose on the bread.

The hotel has no restaurant - there are some vending machines.

Hotel provides Courtesy Shuttle starting at 4PM ( Sun - Thur 4 to 10 PM) and Fr -Sat 4 to 11PM. Wait times can be up to 1 hour depending on demand, They will take you to the following places:

Tropical Acres - Steak House, Rustic Inn - Seafood, Islamorada Fish Company - Seafood, Las Vegas Cuban Cuisine - Latin,

Great American Grille / Hilton Garden Inn - American food, Hollywood Ale House - American,Dave & Busters- American, TGI Friday - American, Sal's Italian Restaurant - Italian, Red Lobster - Seafood, Sweet Tomatos - Saled/American,

Burger King, Taco Bell, Chipotle, Wendy's, Quiznos Sub, in Oakwood Plaza

also in the Oakwood plaza are: Big K-mart, BJ's, Office Max, Hair Cuttery, Regal Cinema, Star Bucks etc .

Some of the restaurants will give 15% discount if you tell them that you are from Fairfield.

To get back to the hotel you call 9549812700

We decided to walk ( around 2 PM) to the Rustic Inn on Anglers Ave - about 15 minutes walk ( maybe 1/3 of a mile). They had a special shrimp lunch - there were about 27 good size shrimps ( about 7 grilled and rest steamed in shells), boiled potatoes with butter, coleslaw and drink for $10.95 - very delicious. It is a very popular restaurant.

We walked back to the hotel and later took the shuttle to Oakwood Plaza and back to the hotel.

The Ace Tour ( who runs the free shuttle) also offers some tours for different prices.

They also offer shuttle to the port in the morning for 8 dol p/p at some designated times : 10:15 AM, 11:15AM, 12:15PM and 1:15PM or they charge $12.50 p/p if you wish to go any other time.

They also sell tickets for the shuttle from the port to airport or the hotel for 10 dol p/p .

There were a lot of people in the hotel later on in the evening: some just arriving from the airport, some returning to the hotel from the cruise ships.

The room was very quiet at night and the bed very comfy.

Sat. morning we went to the included/ free breakfast ( I think it starts on weekends at 7am to 10 am). The siting area is small maybe 8 or 10 tables so if every one gets there at the same time - it is crowded. Selection was pretty good : there were yogurts, milk, two kinds of fruit in sealed containers. cereal, bagels,toast, sweet rolls, sandwiches with egg, sausage and cheese, egg and bacon and cheese, bannas, apples plus maybe more that I do not recall. There were two microwaves to heat up the sandwiches . Juice, coffee, tea. Planty to eat and drink.

All the Fairfield personnel was very friendly, helpful and nice, Check-in and check-out was quick. Hotel was clean and nice and for the ones that parked their cars there for free - that was a bargain.

About 10:10 AM the Ace Tour guys started to call people that purchased the shuttle to the port for the 10:15 am slot. They tried to group people for the same ship and the same bus: Oasis, next the Liberty, Princess, Holand America and so on. We were in the minority ( Navigator) so we went on the last "10:15am" shuttle that left about 10:45 with other guests that were going on different ships. The normally short ride was a lot longer because the shuttle stoped at every pier and ours ( pier 29) was the last stop. There were 6 ships there so it was very crowded and busy - people living the ships and new guest coming in.

Taking the shuttle ( with the trailer for luggage ) is a little risky - you do not know for sure if your luggage is not going to go with someone else ....... you are inside the bus and the people leaving at different stops could possibly take the wrong luggage.

Next time iit will be a taxi for us - they were available - quicker, more convinient and about the same price.

Coming back from the cruise and waiting for the Ace shuttle to take us to the Fll airport was not the best solution - the shuttle did not show up for a long time and when it did - it was a Ford 350 large van - small seats and hard to get to the back seats in the van.

There were planty of taxis at the port just waiting and the price was the same or lower than the shuttle ...... about 15 to maybe 20 for a taxi, we paid 10 p/p for the shuttle to the airport.

So this is my report for the ones that are thinking of booking the Fairfield or perhaps the Homewood - they both are in the same area.

Enjoy your stay where ever you book and happy cruising - ours was great.

Edited by wieslaw

thank you..thank you for the report..just got our confirmation thru LMT for this hotel..we were a little weery about using LMT..we have never used them or even priceline..can't believe we got it for $69.00..we are going the end of Jan. and all the hotels were so high in price...thank you for all the other info. you offered..we are looking into renting a car as we will be getting in at 11:00 a.m...

FYI--on weeknights, most Homewood Suites offer a complimentary light dinner. I've seen tacos, baked ziti and meatballs, chef's salad bar, stir-fry, etc. It changes daily and there's no selection, it's one "dinner" per night, so if you're picky it might not be for you.

Thanks for the great review. We're staying there 12/30 before our cruise. I think we'll use a taxi to the ship.

Hi,

I / we are going to use taxi next time as well. There are readly available. I have seen them stopping by both hotels and have seen people using them.

Enjoy your stay at the hotel and happy cruising.

They also sell tickets for the shuttle from the port to airport or the hotel for 10 dol p/p .

About 10:10 AM the Ace Tour guys started to call people that purchased the shuttle to the port

OK.. I was told by the desk clerk that the shuttle service to the port was also free. Is this not the case??? We are using this hotel for our pre cruise hotel. Just trying to get all my expenses figured out before we leave.

THanks!

About 10:10 AM the Ace Tour guys started to call people that purchased the shuttle to the port

OK.. I was told by the desk clerk that the shuttle service to the port was also free. Is this not the case??? We are using this hotel for our pre cruise hotel. Just trying to get all my expenses figured out before we leave.

THanks!

Hi,

I was there (Fairfield Inn on Dec.9th / Dec 10, 2011 ) and there were no free shuttles to the port. Prices were as I posted above in my report.

Edited by wieslaw

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed analysis of your stay. We are staying there for 4 nights pre cruise in Feb and will be renting a car. We will take your advice and take a cab to the pier instead of the shuttle. The last thing we need is for our luggage to go missing.

We have used LMT in the past with success and nice to learn from others experiences at the same hotel. You sure can not beat the price.

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

Thanks for taking the time to provide such a detailed analysis of your stay. We are staying there for 4 nights pre cruise in Feb and will be renting a car. We will take your advice and take a cab to the pier instead of the shuttle. The last thing we need is for our luggage to go missing.

We have used LMT in the past with success and nice to learn from others experiences at the same hotel. You sure can not beat the price.

Hi,

I have no intention to critisize the shuttle company and scare you away from their services. I and mostly wife were just very concern about our luggage. We got all the different ribbons attached to find it easier to recognize among other luggage but ........ things do happen.

We were siting in the small bus and people were coming out at different piers, going back to the trailer and getting their luggage ...... all we could do was just to hope and perhaps pray that ours is going be there when we go to get it.

Coming from the airport is no problem because there are no stops on the way to the hotel, so everyone and their luggage goes to the same place.

But going to the ship was different - our bus made a stop at just about every ship that was sailing that day.

Also the comfort of the ride and time to get there might be a consideration. Some of the shuttles were large Ford 350 vans - not the easiest thing to get in the back seats. If the bus or van goes to every pier ( in the very heavy traffic that is there) it takes a lot longer - perhaps that is not a bad thing.

We try to learn as we go and my comments .... are just my comments. Wishing you happy holidays and enjoyable cruise.

Edited by wieslaw

do you know if the shuttle from the airport to the hotel is 24/7....we don't get in until 11:44 pm ;) - that's me...half asleep

Hi,

I believe it is, but I do not want to second guess.

Here is a hotel number : 954-241-2370

and Ace Tours and Transportation numbers: 954 -981-2700, or 954-791-6575

and the web site : http://www.acetoursandtransportation.com/ it states in there that they are available 24/7

I know there was a group of people leaving at 4am ( not sure but I think they were going to the airport - not sure which one ).

do you know if the shuttle from the airport to the hotel is 24/7....we don't get in until 11:44 pm ;) - that's me...half asleep

That's 9:44 pm on the time zone your body is used to. When I fly to the west coast and get off at 10:15 I'm tired (although knowing that my first stop is In-And -Out Burger keeps me awake!), but flying east at the end of the trip is easy, my body thinks it's dinnertime when I land at 8:00 or 9:00 pm!

THanks!

As a couple or family, rather than pay $10 pp for a shuttle, I would call a taxi...less waiting, no lost luggage concerns, no stopping at multiple piers..maybe a few dollars more for a couple, probably cheaper for three or four.

Nothing to be concerned about at all. I value input from people like yourself that have lived the experience. Anytime we travel and our luggage is separated from us we always think the worse because it does happen. We had a person take my DW's bag ( black bag with red bandana attached to handle) from the holding area when disembarking off a Princess cruise and still checked it in at the airport after handling it 3 times before checking in. Luckily Princess tracked him down but it already was checkin in. The best part was it arrived in Toronto before we did that night.

For a similar cost and knowing our luggage is with us I will take a cab as you do not know if you will be the 1st or last to be dropped off.

Hi,

I have no intention to critisize the shuttle company and scare you away from their services. I and mostly wife were just very concern about our luggage. We got all the different ribbons attached to find it easier to recognize among other luggage but ........ things do happen.

We were siting in the small bus and people were coming out at different piers, going back to the trailer and getting their luggage ...... all we could do was just to hope and perhaps pray that ours is going be there when we go to get it.

Coming from the airport is no problem because there are no stops on the way to the hotel, so everyone and their luggage goes to the same place.

But going to the ship was different - our bus made a stop at just about every ship that was sailing that day.

Also the comfort of the ride and time to get there might be a consideration. Some of the shuttles were large Ford 350 vans - not the easiest thing to get in the back seats. If the bus or van goes to every pier ( in the very heavy traffic that is there) it takes a lot longer - perhaps that is not a bad thing.

We try to learn as we go and my comments .... are just my comments. Wishing you happy holidays and enjoyable cruise.

We are staying at Fairfield in April and renting a car. Depending on what car rental agency you are utilizing, some offer a free shuttle from the airport to the port. We will drop off our luggage at the port and then return the car to the airport rental agency and take the "free" shuttle back to the port (and we won't have to lug our baggage around).;)

Edited by BobKat406

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if the shuttle service is widespread among the car rental agencies or is it a chosen few ? What agency did you book with ? I only ask because my friend is looking after the car rental so any additional info will help.

We are staying at Fairfield in April and renting a car. Depending on what car rental agency you are utilizing, some offer a free shuttle from the airport to the port. We will drop off our luggage at the port and then return the car to the airport rental agency and take the "free" shuttle back to the port (and we won't have to lug our baggage around).;)

Hi,

it might be a good idea to do what BobKat is suggesting, Just allow a little extra time - the traffic in Port Everglades ( if that is where you are going) can be very heavy - it was on the days when we were there ( 10th and 18th of Dec ). If there are few ships in port on your day of sailing there is a lot of people moving in and out of the port at the same time.

When we were waiting for our shuttle from Ace to show up, I saw a number of shuttles from rental companies bringing people in and picking up new ones. I remember seeing Hertz, Avis, Budget and there were probably others that I did not pay attention to. I was almost tempted to catch a ride with them back to the airport - I am not sure what is required by the driver to take people back to the airport. I do not know where the rental agencies are located - maybe someone else can provide that.

Edited by wieslaw

Thanks for the tip. Do you know if the shuttle service is widespread among the car rental agencies or is it a chosen few ? What agency did you book with ? I only ask because my friend is looking after the car rental so any additional info will help.

to the airport i think it is only alamo and national...however...

budget is across from the renaissance hotel very near the port..

HERTZ has a location at the Crowne Plaza and they have a shuttle

AVIS has a location at the Hyatt Pier 66 and i THINK they have a shuttle..though i took a cab as it was around $10 and i didn't want to wait for the shuttle...

HTH

...AVIS has a location at the Hyatt Pier 66 and i THINK they have a shuttle..though i took a cab as it was around $10 and i didn't want to wait for the shuttle...

I don't know if AVIS has a shuttle but I do know the only shuttle that Pier 66 has is to the beach and not to the airport or the pier.

Thanks to the OP for such a detailed review! I'd booked the Fairfield (for our February cruise) awhile back through LMT based on other recommendations on this board, but it's good to have my second-guessing fears relieved! Good to know there's a convenience store nearby - hopefully it will have the seltzer water we like to take on board.