Things to do in Cape Canaveral/Orlando area on last day?!

Hello,

I'm off on the Oasis end of next month (5 weeks and 5 days, but who's counting?! ;) )

On debarkation day, we will, no doubt, get off the ship far earlier than I would like to, and our flight home isn't until 6.25pm.

We have booked a hire car, but are looking for ideas/suggestions for things to do that are fairly cheap and possibly a bit different.

No need to suggest Disney or Universal - we'll be doing those on our summer vacation in May, so have no intention to pay their ridiculous prices for tickets for a few hours. Would love to hear of your 'out of the way' secret gems! :)

Thank you

Liz

p.s. We is myself (33) and my sister (29) both physically fit and healthy.

At the port area there is the Exploration Tower which is fun but not *amazing*. That would be maybe 2 hours of stuff to do?

I love Kennedy Space Center, but it is a little pricey but you can really make almost a whole day out of it.

There are also some good museums in Orlando--we enjoy the science center--if you want to be closer to the airport.

I know you don't want to visit Disney, but a fun day could just be going to Disney Springs and dining in one of their restaurants. We LOVE Morimoto for lunch!

Sent from Tapatalk

One more thing--you can go kayaking in the Cape Canaveral area, but I'm not sure how you'd like it right after a cruise, with luggage and everything. On the same vein, Mosquito Lagoon in Canaveral has AWESOME fishing and there are some charter operators you can use. That's the true Florida experience ;)

Sent from Tapatalk

Showcase of Citrus. Its fairly cheap, they rotate so SOMETHING is always in season. Giant school buses coverted to monster trucks to tour the property and feed the water buffalo. Great wines. Orange juice slushies. You pick citrus. Playground. Alligator meat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you want air boat rides you can go to Black Hammock up near Oviedo. They do air boat rides on Lake Jessup, which has the largest numbers of alligators per square mile in America... it's estimated at over 10,000 of them.

If you're hankering for German food there is an awesome German restaurant in Sanford -- Hollerbach's Willow Tree cafe. Also up in Sanford is the Central Florida Zoo.

If you like farmer's markets there is a nice one on Sunday's at Lake Eola in Downtown Orlando. It's also nice to just walk around the lake.

In Kissimmee there is the Orlando Tree Trek Adventure Park, which is a ropes course and zipline.

There are lots of things to do right here in Brevard County. We have a wonderful zoo that also has a zip line/challenge course. Check it out at www.brevardzoo.org

Right up the road from the zoo, you will find Viera Wetlands, a birders paradise! You can either drive or walk around this man made wetlands to see many species of birds and other wildlife. Just google Viera Wetlands (also known as Ritch Grissom Wetlands) for visitor information and to read more about this special place.

The Space Coast Tourism website has information on the many beaches along our shoreline. There are oceanfront restaurants such as at the Cocoa Beach Pier, the Sandbar, the Beach Shack, and Coconuts right in Cocoa Beach. You can go to any one of them for a bite and drink with a wonderful ocean view!

I believe there are also a couple of smaller boat tours you can take, Island Boat Tours and Dolphin Tours out of Cocoa Beach and Merritt Island come to mind but I believe there are more companies that do this. Again, Google!

As someone else mentioned, there are lots of kayak tours around the Thousand Islands in the Indian River Lagoon in Cocoa a beach and airboat rides out at Lone Cabbage Fish Camp on the St. John's River in Cocoa.

I hope this info is helpful and you enjoy your time here once off the ship. No matter what you decide to do, have fun!

Edited by pstone1
Spell check changed fun to found!

Take a walk and have a bite to eat and drink at Lake Eola Park in downtown Orlando. Or go out to the West Orange Trail and rent a couple of bikes and ride into Winter Garden which is built around a bike trail. Or just go to Winter Garden and wander around.

We were at Kennedy Space Center last Friday after getting off our cruise and it was fabulous. More than enough to fill your time. Even my skeptical kids admitted it was amazing. It's pricey to get in, but once you do just about everything is included in the admission price -- bus tour, simulator, IMAX movies, etc. We loved not being nickel-and-dimed.

PHXscuba

I was wondering the same thing about what to do when we get off the ship so early, then only fly home after dinner. If we take an excursion or plan an activity, any suggestions on what to do with our luggage ?

If you take a ship excursion, they will hold your bags and deliver you and your bags to the airport after the excursion.

If you want to do something onyour own, then I'd get a one-way rental car, minivan if necessary, and keep your bags in the vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...
Do you know the name of the aquarium or how I could find the details ? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's the Sea Life aquarium. You can buy combo tickets for the Orlando Eye and the Aquarium (or Madame Tussauds) here: https://www.officialorlandoeye.com/tickets-prices/combination-tickets/

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk