Price drops

blackwing

We (wife, her parents, and our 2 children) are on the March 22 Getaway sailing in adjoining balcony rooms. I checked in online and noticed that the price had dropped almost 25% since we booked. We have already full paid.

Travel agent said nothing could be done. We were persistent and he called and said they could upgrade us to spa balconies, but that they are very far apart from each other. This doesn't work since our kids are young and the whole point of having adjoining rooms and going with the inlaws is so we can get extra help and time to ourselves. So we had to decline the upgrade.

The guy got back to us and said they won't offer anything else. Does this seem right to you? At the very least, can't they throw in the spa passes that we would have had with the upgrade? Is it worth it to bypass my agent and contact Norwegian directly? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

We (wife, her parents, and our 2 children) are on the March 22 Getaway sailing in adjoining balcony rooms. I checked in online and noticed that the price had dropped almost 25% since we booked. We have already full paid.

Travel agent said nothing could be done. We were persistent and he called and said they could upgrade us to spa balconies, but that they are very far apart from each other. This doesn't work since our kids are young and the whole point of having adjoining rooms and going with the inlaws is so we can get extra help and time to ourselves. So we had to decline the upgrade.

The guy got back to us and said they won't offer anything else. Does this seem right to you? At the very least, can't they throw in the spa passes that we would have had with the upgrade? Is it worth it to bypass my agent and contact Norwegian directly? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

It won't hurt to ask, but NCL are probably quite likely to say that they made you an offer, and it was your choice to turn it down.

As you are past final payment, they don't have to offer you anything (there are many discussions on this), but people have reported getting something.

Often some OBC is offered. If your TA is persistent, you are more likely to get this that Spa passes. It seems OBC of about 25% of the price drop is the sort of amount offered.

Edit to say that they will almost certainly not discuss it with you if you bypass your TA.

Edited by KeithJenner

Is it worth it to bypass my agent and contact Norwegian directly? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

Thanks.

I don't even think an NCL rep will talk to you since you booked through a TA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Harriet

Harriet

You are correct. The TA owns the booking, so the TA is the only one who can talk to NCL about the actual booking.

The guy got back to us and said they won't offer anything else. Does this seem right to you?

Yes it seems right. You have originally agreed to a price that you were comfortable with and are now in the non-free cancellation period. You can get the new lower price for your current cabins by cancelling your current booking and taking the consequences in the form of cancellation fees and then rebooking the same cabins again.

At the very least, can't they throw in the spa passes that we would have had with the upgrade?

No, the passes are perks of the cabins that you refused to accept. It doesn't matter why you refused the upgrade, you can't cherry-pick.

Is it worth it to bypass my agent and contact Norwegian directly? If so, what is the best way to go about this?

As said by others, NCL won't talk to you directly and you need to handle this through your TA. NCL did offer an upgrade to you even though they were in no obligation to do so and since you declined, there is nothing you'd be entitled to.

I'm sorry but that's how it is.

Edited by Demonyte

Does this seem right to you? Thanks.

I purchased a cocktail dress 6 months ago for a wedding in May. Today, I see the same dress has been reduced. Can I get a refund? Nope

I purchased a new car last week but today the dealer is having a sale on that car or a promotion if one buys the same car I have. Can I take it back and ask for an upgraded car? Can I ask for a partial refund? Can I ask for the free promotion item they are giving away now? Nope

I purchased airfare to Rome 3 months ago for a trip. Today I see the price has gone down on the same airfare I purchased. Will the airline give me a refund? Will the airline bump me up to first class? Nope

Whenever anyone purchases something they must be happy with what they purchased for the price they purchased it at. Otherwise, it shouldn't be purchased.

NCL has, at times, and depending on the circumstances, gone out of their way to offer an upgraded cabin or an OBC. if the buyer chooses not to accept what was offered, even though it didn't need to be offered.....oh well.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. No, that's just the way life is.

Take your cruise and enjoy your cruise. Don't cry over spilt milk.

Harriet

This comes up every week, or every few days.

NCL will honor the exact deal you made with them.

They are selling the last few cabins at a discount.

They will agree to the deal you agreed to with price.

Thanks.

None of the spa balconies are very far from one another. They are all in the same area. If it were me I'd take them because I would just walk my kids down to hall to Grandma's on my way to enjoy Spa time, but that's just me.

I have turned down offered upgrades because to me it wasn't an upgrade but I was still appreciative of the offer...

I purchased a cocktail dress 6 months ago for a wedding in May. Today, I see the same dress has been reduced. Can I get a refund? Nope

I purchased a new car last week but today the dealer is having a sale on that car or a promotion if one buys the same car I have. Can I take it back and ask for an upgraded car? Can I ask for a partial refund? Can I ask for the free promotion item they are giving away now? Nope

I purchased airfare to Rome 3 months ago for a trip. Today I see the price has gone down on the same airfare I purchased. Will the airline give me a refund? Will the airline bump me up to first class? Nope

Whenever anyone purchases something they must be happy with what they purchased for the price they purchased it at. Otherwise, it shouldn't be purchased.

NCL has, at times, and depending on the circumstances, gone out of their way to offer an upgraded cabin or an OBC. if the buyer chooses not to accept what was offered, even though it didn't need to be offered.....oh well.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is. No, that's just the way life is.

Take your cruise and enjoy your cruise. Don't cry over spilt milk.

Harriet

Nicely said, I agree with your response 1000%.

If you would post this, about once a week, to this question that gets answered all the time, many of us would appreciate it. :cool:

Except these can be false in that you absolutely can buy the new dress on sale & return it with the old overpriced receipt, depending on the store.

Depending on the airline, you can get the price adjustment.

Just sayin'.:)

NCL will honor the exact deal you made with them.

Unless they move you from your specifically chosen aft corner balcony without your permission, like one poster reported.

Unless they decide to cancel a cruise like has happened with the Pearl many times and then they leave you hanging, possibly stuck for airfare that is no longer useful.

Just sayin'.

Edited by QuiGonJohn

Unless they decide to cancel a cruise like has happened with the Pearl many times and then they leave you hanging, possibly stuck for airfare that is no longer useful.

Just sayin'.

Although the deal they struck with you allows either side to cancel the contract before final payment (in the US anyway), so charters are within the contract as they are announced before that time.

The cabin change is an odd one though. We don't know the full story on it.

Harriet

Not wrong as such, just incorrect. I booked three weeks ago through a travel agent as they were £100 less than NCL direct. Soon after booking, I noticed that the same cruise was offering OBC of $100. I contacted my travel agent who was less than useless and tried to make up stories and so I went direct to NCL who after some exchange of E-mails offered me the OBC of $100.

Not wrong as such, just incorrect. I booked three weeks ago through a travel agent as they were £100 less than NCL direct. Soon after booking, I noticed that the same cruise was offering OBC of $100. I contacted my travel agent who was less than useless and tried to make up stories and so I went direct to NCL who after some exchange of E-mails offered me the OBC of $100.

Wait. So you didn't book with NCL because they cost more so went to a TA to save money and the TA got the 'bonus' for booking your cruise. Then your TA who saved you money and got paid for booking your cruise could not or would not help you at all. Then you called NCL, who was priced higher and didn't get paid for booking your cruise so you could get an OBC that your paid TA couldn't or wouldn't get for you.

Okay, I think I got it.

Harriet

Except these can be false in that you absolutely can buy the new dress on sale & return it with the old overpriced receipt, depending on the store.

Tell me anywhere you can purchase something and return it 6 months later? I don't know where you're from but from where I'm from you can't do that unless you're scamming the store. What ever happened to morals and honesty??

In regard to the airline, yes, you are correct. You can purchase trip insurance and get a refund. You can pay MORE for your ticket and be able to use it again within the year.....but if the price goes up when you wish to use it you must pay the difference.

Harriet

::who's thinking about the immoral people who purchase clothes, keep the tags on them when they wear them for an event and then return them. YUCK!

Although the deal they struck with you allows either side to cancel the contract before final payment (in the US anyway), so charters are within the contract as they are announced before that time.

I thought some people affected by the Pearl charter were much closer to their sail date, after final payment. I may have misunderstood.

Regardless, I think it is pretty LOUSY of NCL, they ought to make anyone affected thusly whole, including reimbursing any non-refundable airline tickets. Naturally, they could have the cruiser supply proof of that prior to reimbursement.

I thought some people affected by the Pearl charter were much closer to their sail date, after final payment. I may have misunderstood.

Regardless, I think it is pretty LOUSY of NCL, they ought to make anyone affected thusly whole, including reimbursing any non-refundable airline tickets. Naturally, they could have the cruiser supply proof of that prior to reimbursement.

You did misunderstand. They cancelled now and the cruise dates were for dates in 2015. Months before final payment for anyone.

As I said before, people who already purchased air has 3 options.

1. Contact airline and see if they'll do anything

2. Use the trip insurance they, hopefully, purchased for their cruise

3. Use the trip insurance they, hopefully, purchased from the airline.

If they purchased their air from NCL only then will NCL reimburse them for it.

Harriet

Thanks.

this subject comes up weekly and the answer is always the same: of course it is right. If the price had gone up would you want to have the cruise line tell you to downgrade or pay more? If you book a hotel and the price goes down do you get the lower price?

As for bypassing your TA, do you think this is her fault? Of course you should not and you can not. The booking belongs to her. The cruise lines, no matter which one you use will not talk to you when you have gone through an agent. The upgrade offer is exactly what everyone gets when this happens. It is standard throughout the This is one reason I do not check prices after final payment date. I know I have nothing to gain. You will always find someone who got a cabin cheaper than you did, but remember you were happy with the price to start, so accept what you have now and enjoy your cruise.

Harriet

you are right and even if he had booked via NCL no matter what others might think there is almost no chance NCL will offer anything more. This is standard for the industry. There is a slim chance he might have been able to get a small OBC. No way would he get a spa package thrown in. the spa is contracted out like the gift shop I think. The interesting thing here, the OP isn't a new cruiser. He/she must have faced this in the past.

sorry you are not completely right: there may be exceptions, but if you buy a dress, never wear it, return it months later because it goes on sale, most stores will not give you the difference. If it happens within a few days or weeks, yes and I know the airline business pretty well: no, most airlines will not adjust a price drop. I am not going to say, none will, but most will not. So, you are actually giving exceptions to the rule, not the general rules.

I think one problem is, when people book months/years in advance, they do so expecting to get a better deal, as that USED to be the case. It's an incentive to book early and is better for NCL because you know in advance how the ship is filling. When it does not happen that way, people get upset. They also cancel bookings because they find something better along the way.

Unfortunately, and I guess it started with the enconmy bust, they start giving deals closer to sail date, to fill the ship, and it creates a vicious cycle because more people see this trend and they also start to wait to book, knowing the better deals come later, NCL has no idea how the ship will fill until later. I think they should offer the best deals possible in the beginning, as an incentive. They're going to be offering them anyway when they don't fill the ship. They should have an idea which ships don't fare as well and which ones to offer the better incentives on.

They can always go up later on and then make a deal closer to sailing if needed, But no better a deal after final payment than those who booked early got. This would satisfy customers more and give them more of an incentive to book early. Why book early if you know the deals are coming after final payment???

They should advertise an early booking deal and when the cut-off will be. If you book after the early rate, you run the risk of paying more and should not expect compensation and that should be advertised. If you know this in advance, you may be more inclined to book early, hence letting NCL see how the ship is filling, quicker.

Anotehr idea would be to offer what others do; if you book an early rate, you get any future deals no matter when it happens. It's essentially a guarantee you will not end up paying more than someone who books AFTER you. There are cut off dates for these special rates as well.

JMHO, which I know is not worth much! LOL!

Debbie

I think one problem is, when people book months/years in advance, they do so expecting to get a better deal, as that USED to be the case. It's an incentive to book early and is better for NCL because you know in advance how the ship is filling. When it does not happen that way, people get upset. They also cancel bookings because they find something better along the way.

Unfortunately, and I guess it started with the enconmy bust, they start giving deals closer to sail date, to fill the ship, and it creates a vicious cycle because more people see this trend and they also start to wait to book, knowing the better deals come later, NCL has no idea how the ship will fill until later. I think they should offer the best deals possible in the beginning, as an incentive. They're going to be offering them anyway when they don't fill the ship. They should have an idea which ships don't fare as well and which ones to offer the better incentives on.

They can always go up later on and then make a deal closer to sailing if needed, But no better a deal after final payment than those who booked early got. This would satisfy customers more and give them more of an incentive to book early. Why book early if you know the deals are coming after final payment???

They should advertise an early booking deal and when the cut-off will be. If you book after the early rate, you run the risk of paying more and should not expect compensation and that should be advertised. If you know this in advance, you may be more inclined to book early, hence letting NCL see how the ship is filling, quicker.

Anotehr idea would be to offer what others do; if you book an early rate, you get any future deals no matter when it happens. It's essentially a guarantee you will not end up paying more than someone who books AFTER you. There are cut off dates for these special rates as well.

JMHO, which I know is not worth much! LOL!

Debbie

You already do get price adjustments up to time of final payment.