Sandals for walking around all day - comfy but stylish?

RedInLove

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to wear for the port days (and sea days when walking around) that will be comfortable (no blisters), practical (want to be able to skip around in them, go hiking, whatever), but still cute and stylish. I'm preferring a neutral color like nude/gray/lt tan colors. Your suggestions?

Wear whatever you wear at home to walk in....it's not a style contest! No one notices or cares what shoes you wear.

I wear flip-flops in warm weather...they are comfy and create no blisters, since nothing touches your heels!

If you need more support, wear athletic shoes...and socks... may not be pretty, but you'll be comfy!

I'm trying to decide what I'm going to wear for the port days (and sea days when walking around) that will be comfortable (no blisters), practical (want to be able to skip around in them, go hiking, whatever), but still cute and stylish. I'm preferring a neutral color like nude/gray/lt tan colors. Your suggestions?

I am like you...have to have comfu and style...here is a link to some sandals i bought last year same style just different colour...then had resoled with a rubber grip for extra support and traction...fantastic and I walked miles and miles..

http://shop.countryroad.com.au/#%3Fgclid=CJTs5vnaha4CFYVMpgodphVT2Q&page=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear[1].htm&product=/Shop/Womenswear/Footwear/WOE00972/Alexa-Textured-Sandal.html

Look for a nice style and then have the resoled:D

I just got a new pair of sandals today:) They are Merrell's and are cute

and comfy:). I am going on my first cruise to the Med in May and

have been searching and found a great pair. Now I need to find shoes

too;) Walking in Greece, Rome, Turkey....is a lot different than walking

around the Caribbean.

I disagree with "wear what you wear at home":eek:...depending on what

you are planning, flip flops do NOT work for many things.

I am going to see if I can find a photo of the sandals I bought and will

post it on here:D

I absolutely love my Birkenstock Gizeh sandals. They are amazingly comfortable and not like the "traditional" Birkenstocks, these are more trendy and very cute. I can and have walked all day in these shoes.

They do require a lot of breaking in my experience. I took the advice I'd read somewhere and wore them around the house for about 2-3 weeks. They mold to the shape of your foot so after that initial breaking in, they are perfect!

I found a photo on Zappos:) and the name of these sandals is

really cool......very easy to remember (especially if you like Tequilla;))

They are called Merrell's "AGAVE":D I got them in brown.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-agave-navy?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_cross

I am on my feet all day at work, but I work outside and wear my old combat boots or other work boots since I'm required to wear boots. I have walking sneakers, but I'm looking for something that is sturdy and for the hot weather and the potential to get wet - I don't want to worry about them getting wet, with sneakers I'd be stuck in wet sneakers all day vs. sandals that would dry much quicker. When I used to work in an office, I was usually wearing cute dressy sandals or heels that were not made for walking. So I truly have nothing better than cheap Old Navy flip flops or 3-inch heels.

ETA: and to be honest, if they're not cute then I'll never wear them anywhere else. Even with the clothing I have bought for the trip, most of what I've found can be worn at home without looking out of place - simple bright-colored sundresses that can be worn almost any day for anything, one cocktail dress that's perfect for a wedding or a show, another cocktail dress that's good for a summer or beach wedding, and so on.

I found a photo on Zappos:) and the name of these sandals is

really cool......very easy to remember (especially if you like Tequilla;))

They are called Merrell's "AGAVE":D I got them in brown.

http://www.zappos.com/merrell-agave-navy?zlfid=111&recoName=zap_pdp_cross

Oh My!! I LOVE these. Thanks for sharing. :)

I wear Clark's sandals in various styles. I can walk miles in them and never need to break them in. :)

Clarks are wonderful shoes. Most of my shoes are Clarks and I agree that they are comfortable for long duration. I wore a pair of Clarks sandals all over Paris two years ago and my feet felt great.

I like all things Skechers. I wear the shape-ups for work (I'm a nurse) and wear the sandals the flip flops around the house and town. There are lots of cute styles and different heights. Good luck. Heidi

I spent a lot of time looking for comfie walking shoes for our TA, finally decided on a pair of skechers that felt wonderful in the store. I liked them so much that I actually bought two pairs, (buy one, get one 1/2 off:D). They were leather, kind of a Mary Jane style. Anyway, I wore them on walks and around town to break them in. The first full day in Rome, I HATED them on the cobblestones! After a long day of walking, my feet were killing me! The bottoms of my feet felt bruised. I had to stop wearing them and use my workout shoes:(. And now that we are home, everytime I try to walk anywhere in them, my feet start hurting. So I will be getting rid of them next time I take stuff to Goodwill.

Anyway, moral of this long story is walking in Europe is different than walking here. There may be cobblestones and uneven pavement so whatever you buy needs good padding along the bottom as well as good support.

Sherri:)

I bought a pair of Merrells a few years ago. Wore them for an Asian cruise, so you know there was a lot of walking involved and the shoes were great, until... The straps stretched out a bit during all that wearing and walking. When I attempted to adjust the straps, it threw off the sole that had already conformed to my foot. I never could get them to be comfortable again and they became decidely uncomfortable.

Haven't bought another pair since then.

I spent a lot of time looking for comfie walking shoes for our TA, finally decided on a pair of skechers that felt wonderful in the store. I liked them so much that I actually bought two pairs, (buy one, get one 1/2 off:D). They were leather, kind of a Mary Jane style. Anyway, I wore them on walks and around town to break them in. The first full day in Rome, I HATED them on the cobblestones! After a long day of walking, my feet were killing me! The bottoms of my feet felt bruised. I had to stop wearing them and use my workout shoes:(. And now that we are home, everytime I try to walk anywhere in them, my feet start hurting. So I will be getting rid of them next time I take stuff to Goodwill.

Anyway, moral of this long story is walking in Europe is different than walking here. There may be cobblestones and uneven pavement so whatever you buy needs good padding along the bottom as well as good support.

Hi Sherri, oh my goodness, sorry you had such problems:(. I went

to the Skecher's store yesterday and tried on (just a guess here)

6 or 7 different pairs. I could not decide on anything and went on

my way.......wondering if that is a sign?;)

I will continue looking as I want to get walking shoes to go along

with my sandals. We have a new SAS store near me. I know those

are supposed to be very supportive. I don't want a lace up though.

I wonder if they have any you can slip in...will have to check!

Totally agree with you here.

Oh, how horrible! Good thing you had those shoes with you to rest your feet! I do plan on bringing my running shoes in case we decide to do something more rigorous, so at least I'd have something more comfy. (And my running shoes are soooooo comfortable!) I definitely want something with some support and tread.

I just bought two pair of Keens for our upcoming Med cruise. This is our 2nd Med cruise and the first time we went I brought my Born sandals and they worked out okay BUT when we were walking around Pompeii, Ephesus, and the Acropolis my feet got pretty dirty because it's very dusty so this time around I got a pair of sandals for the cities and a pair of close toed (but open elsewhere) shoes for the ruins:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-la-paz-strap-sandals-for-women~p~4122j/?filterString=Keen-Shoes-for-Women~bs~10054~563%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.planetshoes.com/reviews/keen-coronado-sandal/8079

The Coronados are pretty funky...but that's me...I wear Chuck Taylors so these are right up my alley.

Anyway, I really like Keen...I've worn both of these shoes a lot already and they were comfy right out of the box.

Have you ever tried Yellowbox sandals & flip flops? I love the cute embellishments and the thick padded sole. I've walked for hours (and MILES) in them on past vacations to NYC, Chicago, New Orleans, Boston, & San Francisco. They are a zillion times more comfortable then my athletic walking shoes. :)

Good luck with your shoe search!

I just bought two pair of Keens for our upcoming Med cruise. This is our 2nd Med cruise and the first time we went I brought my Born sandals and they worked out okay BUT when we were walking around Pompeii, Ephesus, and the Acropolis my feet got pretty dirty because it's very dusty so this time around I got a pair of sandals for the cities and a pair of close toed (but open elsewhere) shoes for the ruins:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/keen-la-paz-strap-sandals-for-women~p~4122j/?filterString=Keen-Shoes-for-Women~bs~10054~563%2F&colorFamily=02

http://www.planetshoes.com/reviews/keen-coronado-sandal/8079

The Coronados are pretty funky...but that's me...I wear Chuck Taylors so these are right up my alley.

Anyway, I really like Keen...I've worn both of these shoes a lot already and they were comfy right out of the box.

Hi, I like those Coronado's:D....when you said they are funky? I have

seen plenty of sandals/shoes in that style.;)

Now, I just googled Chuck Taylor and looks like it is just fun sneakers:D

Anyway, I think those Keen's are cute!:D

Hi Sherri, oh my goodness, sorry you had such problems:(. I went

to the Skecher's store yesterday and tried on (just a guess here)

6 or 7 different pairs. I could not decide on anything and went on

my way.......wondering if that is a sign?;)

I will continue looking as I want to get walking shoes to go along

with my sandals. We have a new SAS store near me. I know those

are supposed to be very supportive. I don't want a lace up though.

I wonder if they have any you can slip in...will have to check!

I have both Sketchers and SAS. Love both but for different reasons. For all day walking I wouldn't be without my SAS loafers. They have really great arch support but still look stylish. SAS have several slip on styles in different colors - though I didn't like the white so much. I have some in a metalic dark grey and they have served me well walking in Europe. I replace them every few years. Better support than Sketchers which are also comfortable but a lighter weight and I use them for casual wear. In fact I got reprimanded by my orthopaedic dr when I showed up wearing Sketchers at an appointment post ankle injury as he said they didn't give enough support! But I like their styles - especially the cross over velcro closures!

Wow......such a hard question....almost as bad as what jeans to buy.........I must have comfy shoes and really need to be a bit stylish too....and.....eneryone's feet are different. So here are suggestions that I have used over the years...

Mephisto (very pricey) makes a great walking shoe but too pricely unless on sale

Merrill is great also....they make a cross between a sandal and gym shoe that you can use with or without socks

Echo makes great shoes..........I personally have have the Yucatan style of sandals in several colors and have used these on uneven surfaces in serveral different countires..I also just recently purchased their "quasi" gym shoe which is lightweight and has a great sole for cobblestone.

Clarks are a great shoe....several of my friends use them but I have a narrow foot and can't wear them.

All the regular gym shoe companies are now making lighter versions that are cute and comfortable.....expecially check out New Balance which I find to be the best.

All these companies have on line sites and will tell you where to find in your area......also The Walking Company has a webiste that carries several of the above mentioned plus others.

I heartly agree with the previous post to wear the shoes for several weeks to a month to "break" them in. Then when you take them out of the suitcase and put them on there will be no surprises.......

Good luck and happy feet!!!!

Dee

How do you all feel about espadrille wedge type shoes? I've been looking for those today, and for my size and width, I can't find anything reasonably priced. But I'm probably not being realistic. I doubt I'd be very stable in that type of shoe. But they're so cute! :(

How do you all feel about espadrille wedge type shoes? I've been looking for those today, and for my size and width, I can't find anything reasonably priced. But I'm probably not being realistic. I doubt I'd be very stable in that type of shoe. But they're so cute! :(

Hi, that depends on you:) but I would never wear a wedge for walking

around Europe. Espadrille or otherwise. You could always wear them

on casual nights on the ship:D

Archived