Celebrity Summit - "Slummit" or Sanctuary?

Bundles917

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again?

Many a harsh statement has been bandied online about the Celebrity Summit.

The Internet can be both glorious and dangerous when it comes to individual opinions expressed for mass consumption. Glorious for the sharing of information. Dangerous that some of that information is flippantly created anonymously by persons with keyboard courage. Giving discordant voice masked behind a surreptitious screen name.

Wanting to surprise my partner with a birthday gift I booked our first ever cruise; leaping blindly off a virtual cliff in less than five minutes of finding a great online bargain for the Summit. In my excitement at snatching the sale I foolishly did not do any research on Celebrity or the Summit. If I had done so; and followed the advice of those who with keyboard courage and pampered predilections voicing to avoid the “aging rust encrusted Slummit” I and my partner would have missed out on our best vacation experience to date.

First and foremost to those worried that they will be boarding a ship that should be sent to a sea bed sanitarium; you’d be foolish to believe that misguided advisory. Being a neat-freak Virgo (those reading this also under the sign know how much we desire perfection and how others despise us for our elusive pursuit of such) I found the Summit meticulously clean. Are there minute imperfections? Yes. But one really must go out of their way to find such and to those who do I ask; “Why waste your pleasure in seeking displeasure?” I can only think that these personalities are like the livid, whining woman I saw on the final morning in the buffet who berated a waiter demanding, “Where’s the brown sugar! This is unacceptable!” (Oh horror. Catastrophe appalling.)

-- The MDR Food: Wonderful. I and my partner enjoyed every dish except the lobster on the final evening. But you try cooking and serving lobster for nearly 1,500 guests within several hours and tell me how you can guarantee perfection for every serving.

-- Memorable Dishes: The escargot (a first for me); a delightful surprise (and dang tasty). The crème brulee? Great.

-- The MDR Service: Not until I and my partner were granted a private, full galley tour (including both the Normandie and the MDR) did I full appreciate the Herculean task of the staff in servicing 2,000 patrons each day with, as reported by the Executive Chef, 10,000 – 11,000 meals per day. Try that with your Hotpoint and KitchenAid Cookware and see how you fare.

The first night there seemed to be some disorganization among the wait staff in our section. But I believe that this was because the staff for that evening were temporary replacements for our regular staff which came on duty the second night and thereon. Our regular servers were superb.

-- Back of House info learned on the Private Galley Tour:

There are 110 chefs and food preparers in the galley.

All ice cream (except sugar-free products) is made daily on-board.

All bread is made fresh in the bakery 24/7 without stop.

Each dish is inspected for temperature and visual presentation before being allowed to leave the kitchen.

And if you’re wondering where the galley is; it’s on deck three behind the Normandie. Servers ride escalators, delivering meals, to the fourth and fifth decks.

The staff – who derive from 35 countries – are served foods to match the tastes of their homeland. These are served in a private cafeteria. The staff also has their own bar. (After all the toil they turn for us tourists; they rightly deserve that perk.)

-- The Normandie: Wonderful. I had the filet mignon. I can’t recall what the partner had. I was too engrossed in the deliciousness that was my dish. Treat yourself to at least one evening at the Normandie. You’ll be ever the happier overall that you took upon this singular sensational experience.

-- Accommodations: We had a deluxe balcony stateroom (7168). Yes, the furnishings for some visitors may seem a tad dated; but aren’t we all? The room was comfortable. The head (bathroom) fine. And the balcony rust… oh please… who doesn’t have a bit of rust somewhere in their bones or basement? The spattered specks upon the steel plating were no more discouraging than a day-old doughnut.

-- Room Steward: We’re very independent and enjoy our anonymity. On a Celebrity Cruise – with every staff member wishing you a “Good”-something, being ignored is difficult. I was prepared for the attention. My partner (being this was a surprise up until he saw the Summit on sail-day) was not ready nor comfortable with the constant attention. Especially on the early morning when he opened our cabin door and standing there were four crew members who greeted him in unison, “Good Morning”. (I laughed at the absurdity and ‘assault’.) My partner eventually got used to being acknowledged.

Needs were met without our asking. So much so that we jokingly pondered if our steward had had a hidden camera in the room. Only once was there a minor service misstep; a delay in having all aspects of a previously ordered celebratory gift delivered simultaneously. But the slight faux pas did not anger nor disappoint. Mistakes happen.

-- Fitness Area / Gym / Sauna: My partner who can't live without a gym was addicted to the facilities on board the Summit. In my desire to get away from any kind of exertion during the excursion I was addicted to the spa pool and tubs. Mea culpa.

-- Aqua Spa Cafe: A great healthy, eating option that my partner could not be pulled away from.

-- Public Areas: Wonderful.

Stage Shows: Not so wonderful.

Full disclosure here first. I’m a casting director for film, television and theater (B’way and regional). I’m also a director for theater and an author of a Random House book on acting. So you may think my view a bit harsh and biased.

The stage shows with the Summit cast were embarrassing to the Celebrity brand. I blame the producer who cobbled together the poorly executed and inappropriate reviews; not the performers.

Of the three shows I and my partner (a talent agency owner) attended there were many an inappropriate, jaw dropping, “I can’t believe they just did that” moment. Including the tribute to the movie TITANIC.

A pas de deux is performed as a singer, standing at a ship’s bow, belts Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On”. At the end of the song all the performers, on stage elevators, sink into the stage and off to oblivion. Obviously someone on the creative team was having creative amnesia and forgot that the audience watching this musical tribute to a nautical disaster was viewing the choreographed catastrophe while at sea.

Poorly produced summer stock is the best that I can with all candor credit Celebrity Summit’s stage shows. Including the “magician” who doesn’t perform illusions but has fits of video self-indulgence. Spoiler alert: The ‘live’ card trick is nothing more than a pre-taped deception.

The performers – in costuming not much better than community theater stitchings – do their best with the given musical material. They are not to blame for what is being presented. The producer does them a great disservice with this debacle.

By coincidence, there was also a casting director for a major soap-opera on board as well as a former casting exec for CBS. Their views on the production standards and packaging were equally, if not more so, candid.

-- Embarkation / Disembarkation: we were not Concierge Class nor had any special privileges. Just average trudging tourists. Getting on and off the ship was easy, fast and painless.

-- Overall:

Go on Summit without expectations. Enjoy the reason that you’re there; to relax. If you’re like the woman who complained on the final morning about her inaccessibility to brown sugar (which was quickly handed to her) you’ve got your priorities misplaced. The Summit staff and crew are diligent in their efforts. I saw many working 12-hour shifts daily. While on a private bridge tour with the captain I discovered how dedicated all who work on-board are to making each passenger’s sailing safe and satisfying.

Would this finicky, picky Virgo sail Summit again? When’s the next departure?

- Paul Russell

Celebrity Summit

May 30 – June 6 2010

Cape Liberty – Bermuda

Your review was wonderful to read:) and I am glad you and you and your partner had such a good time.

I do hope you will submit it to the Member Review section of Cruise Critic.

One of the best I have read in a long time.:)

That was the best cruise review I have ever read! Looking forward to our upcoming Summit cruise in July. Fortunately, we were on the Infinity last year and I know how beautiful the ship is, how great the service is and how tasty the cuisine is.

Your analysis of the shows was great! My wife and I never go to the shows. However, we do enjoy some of the jazz trios and classical quartets around the ships. Usually, those musicians are of high quality.

Paul ~ thanks so much for taking the time to share your experiences and to bring perspective that is often missing on public message boards. :) We've sailed Summit twice and are scheduled to sail her again next year. Can't wait.

Be sure to submit your review to the Cruise Critic REVIEWS section, too. Others will enjoy reading your review there as well.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks again for the review! HAPPY CRUISING!

Thanks for the review, I was getting a bit nervous reading all the disparaging comment. However, I never met a cruise I didn't like and usually take negativity with a grain of salt. It's still nice to hear some "good stuff."

Paul,

Your review pulled no punches and really struck a chord with me: kudos for your ability to be positive without sounding like a Celebrity cheerleader and dealing with human error with a kind, understanding attitude, not like a spoiled child.

I loved your comments about the production shows. On both Century and Eqquinox I found the shows to be fairly lackluster but appreciate the professional explanation as to why the shows were so bad!!

I hope you will be posting on Cruise Critic again, you are a breath of fresh air here!

Hey Paul!

Thanks for your review. We enjoyed our cruise on the Summit as much as you and your partner did. We've had wonderful cruise experiences with Celebrity so far; even in our best cruise, there were issues, but with the correct attitude, they did not diminish the wonderful experiences we had.

Hope to have the opportunity to sail with you and your partner one of these days! :)

Thom

I love the way you express yourself.

PLEASE post this review in the member review section... it's so worth reading.

The info on meals served etc was so informative. Its obvious you are an understanding and compassionate person and I have a feeling that nothing was going to get in your way of having a great time. You have a wonderful attitude and it came across in your writing. My family and I are sailing the Summit in January to celebrate my 35th wedding anniversary. We are so excited. I've read all the reviews on this ship and because of experience haven't let the negative ones impact me at all. That said.....how fun to have your review!!!!!:)

It makes me even more excited to go on this ship with my children and their families and celebrate our life together!! Thank you for taking time out of your life to write this for us!!!

Nothing like a great first cruise to set the mood and lead the way for future cruises. Glad you enjoyed the Summit so much, I agree she is a beautiful ship and still in very good shape.

Paul, Your review was right on. We were on the cruise with you and sorry we didn't get to meet you and your partner.

Celebrity is one of the friendliest cruise lines and every one talks to you (crew and passengers). This was our third cruise on Celebrity and we are going back on the Summit in July to New England. Can't wait for the escargot (also my favorite).

This was my second trip to Bermuda and still didn't see or do everything I wanted to do.

Glad to meet everyone. It was great!

Ellen

Hello Paul,

Enjoyed your review and style in which you wrote the review. Looking forward to boarding this Sunday and now counting the days! What a great surprise for your partner. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Elaine

Enjoyed reading your review. I appreciate that you took the time to point out the many positives and explained the reason for the negatives. I am amazed at the number of pax who are appalled when they find "rust" on a ship. If you were on the ocean 24/7 365, rust should be the least of your problems. My DW and I are looking forward to sailing on the Summit on Sunday and I am sure we will be as impressed as you and your partner were. Thanks for the great review.:D

We're not inexperienced cruisers and have gotten a lot of excellent information from Cruise Critic. I've even recommended the site to people who mention that they are interested in cruising....but.......sometimes it's a love-hate "relationship" for me.

We're booked on the Summit for next week, have enjoyed the Summit and other cruises to Bermuda in the past, have rarely been displeased/unhappy with a cruise, and yet....I read some of the comments posted here and begin to doubt our decision, especially since other friends are going with us (at our suggestion).

Anyway, thanks again for your perspective. We always try to make the most of any trip. Your review has put me back in the mood to start packing for our trip again.

Sounds like you may have gotten the cruising bug, too.

Fran

We're not inexperienced cruisers and have gotten a lot of excellent information from Cruise Critic. I've even recommended the site to people who mention that they are interested in cruising....but.......sometimes it's a love-hate "relationship" for me.

We're booked on the Summit for next week, have enjoyed the Summit and other cruises to Bermuda in the past, have rarely been displeased/unhappy with a cruise, and yet....I read some of the comments posted here and begin to doubt our decision, especially since other friends are going with us (at our suggestion).

Anyway, thanks again for your perspective. We always try to make the most of any trip. Your review has put me back in the mood to start packing for our trip again.

Sounds like you may have gotten the cruising bug, too.

Fran

Hi Fran,

Just think in 1 week from now we'll be in the middle of the ocean somewhere, and someone else will be cooking and cleaning for us. Sure beats a day at the office or working around the house,,,,:p

I think we'll all have a great time!!!!!

Karen.....:D

Got to go start getting packed...Woohoo!!!

Fran - I am in total agreement with Paul. Ignore the bad criticism, unless very small problems would ruin your trip. Some people are just looking for perfection and should try to find it on a brand new ship.

Summit is in great shape, overall, and very clean. I was on this same cruise and there were always people painting, varnishing and cleaning. She is very well preserved for her age. This was my third time on her and it had been six years since the last time. I wasn't sure what to expect after reading some of the bad reviews, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for the review. We cruised the Summit about 18 months ago, and your experience is very similar to what we experienced. Nice to know that they are still consistent.

I always have mixed feelings about the entertainment on a cruise ship. Some times I feel the singers and dancers are very talented, but not given a show that showcases their full talents. Other times I feel they look bored and have been performing the same shows for too long. Other times I feel that they are trying too hard to imitate "A list" entertainers and can't keep up. And finally, sometimes I am pleasantly surprised by a cast who has been performing corny shows all cruise, and then finally turns it around and performs a great show.

All three scenarios occurred during our Summit cruise. I was really pleasantly surprised by the time the cast got around to performing their final production show, a Broadway themed review. I found that show to be the one exception where the cast really got to show off their potential. Rather than having to poorly imitate other stars as they did in the other shows, they could portray the characters from the Broadway shows in their own way. The cast you saw may be completely different 18 months out but I really enjoyed their scenes from "Wicked" and "The Lion King". I also thought the costuming for the Lion King scenes was very good. Was this production any better, in your experience, than the other two?

I am so glad that you and your partner has a wonderful vacation experience. A cruise has been our vacation of choice for the last 7 years, and we have been very pleased with Celebrity.

Archived